Exxon is gonna have more cash then MS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by jvick125
Our gas is cheap compared to the world. And it's not marked up 200%.
That is still the stupidest argument ever. I hear people say 'quit complaining because our gas is cheaper than the rest of the world' and it's a very silly thing to say. If we are going to compare, then we should get the better roads, police w/o head-up-*** syndrome, and all the other benefits that come from being in those countries where the fuel is more expensive and the taxes actually go somewhere to help the people that are paying them.

Oh, and do some searches - our fuel ain't the cheapest in the world that's for sure.

+1 to the above post and to dr3d1zzl3's comment - that would be the only way at this point.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That is still the stupidest argument ever. I hear people say 'quit complaining because our gas is cheaper than the rest of the world' and it's a very silly thing to say. If we are going to compare, then we should get the better roads, police w/o head-up-*** syndrome, and all the other benefits that come from being in those countries where the fuel is more expensive and the taxes actually go somewhere to help the people that are paying them.

Oh, and do some searches - our fuel ain't the cheapest in the world that's for sure.

+1 to the above post and to dr3d1zzl3's comment - that would be the only way at this point.
I know it's not the cheapest, and I wsn't really trying to use it as an arguement, most people just don't realize. But I do agree with you that it's a dumb arguement. I feel sorry for all you guys in the bay area, you're paying some of the highest prices in the nation. Luckily you can claim your commute on your taxes and get some $$$ back! :banana:
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
regulation isnt what is needed, more players in the market is what needed.

that is for sure. but i think there needs to be regulation at this point. because obviously gas is not getting any cheaper. and no one is diving into the competition. we just need to get quasiturbine engines, and forget about this piston thing

and jvick125 it wasnt meant to be an accurate statistic of how much margin they have on their gas. it was an example that they shouldnt be able to lift their profit % above a certain amount as it is getting to the point that it is hurting our country.

and wombatsauce its true.. if we are paying these high prices and there are high taxes on gas... where the hell are our nice roads? or even decent roads. and hwy 101 north bay area.. jeeze dont get me started.. takes me 25 minutes to get 12miles... its pathetic. and we arent a big city like UC, hayward, SF, Oakland etc etc. taking them 16 years to get 3 lanes here.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by evsoul
jvick125 it wasnt meant to be an accurate statistic of how much margin they have on their gas. it was an example that they shouldnt be able to lift their profit % above a certain amount as it is getting to the point that it is hurting our country.
Cool, then I agree +1 A % mark-up cap would be a good idea.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by jvick125
Cool, then I agree +1 A % mark-up cap would be a good idea.

it would, but you bring up the point that the govt makes too much on it to wanna do that :-/

that or the govt could regulate the % increase, and still tax it. I would not mind spending up to 2.50 a gallon for 91. its still a lot.. but when i cannot get 4 gallons for 10 bucks i feel like ****. 25 bucks the other day filled my car up not quite halfway.

but whatever. i guess its an extra 20 or so dollars more a week. just less drinking.