Everyone and their mom owns an STi these days

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Originally posted by mmboost
So is the '04. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 '04 WRXs, almost all have been STi's. Its seems people only buy '04s because of the power of the STi or because they were too late to get the version7. Its almost like there was some meeting where a Subaru execs says, "For the last version of the Impreza we made it ugly enough to test the American brain to see if it'd choose performance over power. Our VP publically laughed at Americans when they complained about the "bugeyes". But, to our surprise the WRX sold like hotcakes! Well, it looks like we have to step up the testing a bit. Here's what we do: we'll make a car even faster with better performance all around, but we'll mess with everything about the styling that they like and make it even uglier! Make the nose soft like an Evo, make rear lights have stupid bubbles and make the fender flairs look sorta odd, especially in how they connect to the new headlights...and of course swap out those bugeyes which they've grown so fond of *grrr* and put in Honda-Civic-like lights...oh! and to really screw with them make the STi scoop not only look like a Mustang scoop but make it HUGE [at which point the exec grabs the corners of his mouth with one finger on each side and pulls as hard as he can]. I want UGLY! You hear me?! Can you give me ugly! [and then his audience shouts "UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY...."

Thats how we got the STi in Amerca. In the traditional Japanese way, I think their VP is trying to save face over his past asinine comments

jason

LoL Wow.

i think subaru should have kept the bugeye look and just place Sti headlights instead of the standard ones.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I do too...which is why I might do the following when I get my STi:

-Install hood, bumper, front fenders, grill, and STi headlights & hoodscoop from a MY02/03 WRX

-Paint it MBP

Originally posted by Silver Mojo
LoL Wow.

i think subaru should have kept the bugeye look and just place Sti headlights instead of the standard ones.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
WOW....

Originally posted by mmboost
So is the '04. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 '04 WRXs, almost all have been STi's. Its seems people only buy '04s because of the power of the STi or because they were too late to get the version7. Its almost like there was some meeting where a Subaru execs says, "For the last version of the Impreza we made it ugly enough to test the American brain to see if it'd choose performance over power. Our VP publically laughed at Americans when they complained about the "bugeyes". But, to our surprise the WRX sold like hotcakes! Well, it looks like we have to step up the testing a bit. Here's what we do: we'll make a car even faster with better performance all around, but we'll mess with everything about the styling that they like and make it even uglier! Make the nose soft like an Evo, make rear lights have stupid bubbles and make the fender flairs look sorta odd, especially in how they connect to the new headlights...and of course swap out those bugeyes which they've grown so fond of *grrr* and put in Honda-Civic-like lights...oh! and to really screw with them make the STi scoop not only look like a Mustang scoop but make it HUGE [at which point the exec grabs the corners of his mouth with one finger on each side and pulls as hard as he can]. I want UGLY! You hear me?! Can you give me ugly! [and then his audience shouts "UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY...."

Thats how we got the STi in Amerca. In the traditional Japanese way, I think their VP is trying to save face over his past asinine comments

jason
I thought the 02/03 was ugly when it came out. It grew on me, and now I love it. When the 04 came out, I was attached to my 02 look. In time, I came to appreciate the look. I like the similarities to the GC8. The best looking body style.

The 04 design was mostly done to appease the International market. When we finally got the WRX, Americans didn't care what it looked like. We were just happy to get it, and we have come to like the look. The international market was far more critical of the changes from the GC8 to the GDB.

The coolest thing about the STI IMHO, is that it is ready to roll to the track, without warranty voiding mods. I love to tune my car as much as the next, but I also like to use the warranty I paid for when I purchased the car. Oh yeah, when you see one in the rear view mirror, it looks like it's gonna kick your a$$. The 04 looks menacing IMO, especially the STI.

If you don't like the 04(STI), give it some time, your opinion might change. Mine did. If not, go on hating, I can deal with it...

Signed,
-Subaru Enthusiast
Old 10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Damn!

Originally posted by dahveed
I do too...which is why I might do the following when I get my STi:

-Install hood, bumper, front fenders, grill, and STi headlights & hoodscoop from a MY02/03 WRX

-Paint it MBP
You are gonna paint the whole car?
That's gonna be an expensive STI...

Wow, that's like the black Enzo Ferrari I saw the other day. (custom painted) I understood they only offered them in yellow and red.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Yup.

Emma likes the JBP, but I'm only 50/50 about it.

One thing is for sure, I would repaint it with some high-quality urethane, not that crap Subaru uses from the factory...

Black Ferraris IMHO are the shiznit...it makes them look esp. good when you add HRE custom CF aerodynamics too!

When I own a Ferrari (someday, damnit!), it will be black, white, or red.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:12 AM

glad to hear people are on my side
Old 10-30-2003, 12:39 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
I'm w/ davheed, when I hit the lotto and can buy any car I want, it will be a Rosso Corsa (racing red) Ferrari 260 GTO. Now that's a car you won't see everyday.

As far as the '04 wrx, I thought it was lame that Subaru changed the look of the car after only 2 years just because it wasn't selling as well in Europe. Instead of the drastic changes, Subaru should have just sold a similarly styled car as the JDM WRXs.

Lastly, the STI is the flavor of the month as far as Japanese performance car goes, just as how everyone flocked over the Type R and walked past the GSRs. Wait until 05 when the Skyline GTR supposedly is coming to the US, then you'll see some crowds around the car, even if its surrounded by Ferraris and Lambos.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

When I was selling Chevy's and Humvees, somebody traded in his Black 360 Modena F1 (w/paddle shifting manual tranny), w/custom HRE wheels, and $$$$ of CF & Ti aerodynamic bits...for an H1 _and_ an H2...

Oh, and I sorta like the new STi, but not diggin' the new WRX...FWIW...
Old 10-30-2003, 01:40 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
The new 2.5 RS looks fargin' WEEEIIRRRDDD

saw one last time and I'm like "Where's the hoodscoop?"
"O it's an RS"

for some reason the new body design just makes me think "STi"