EQ Tuning = Cobb AccessPORT dealer and ProTUNER!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I don't need to buy Eutec in the future when I do decide to step up the power mode. I'll keep you in my list for future tuning.
Bump for you.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by willow
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I don't need to buy Eutec in the future when I do decide to step up the power mode. I'll keep you in my list for future tuning.
Bump for you.

Sounds great. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about AccessPORT or tuning in general. I'm always happy to help.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Hey guys,

I though it might be helpful to see an example of the gains that can be had from custom tuning over a Cobb base map. Here is a graph from a recent customer of mine who switched from a Cobb base map to a custom tune:

The red line is the Cobb stage 2 base map and the blue line is my custom tune on the same car and same day. This car was actually the best I've ever seen any car run with a Cobb base map, so there is a possibility for even more gains in other cars. Another thing to not is that the Cobb map showed signs of detonation throughout the RPM range while the custom tune is knock free.
I hope this helps some of you visualize the actual gains that can be had from custom tuning.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Was this car dyno tuned or road tuned? What are the advantages of dyno tuning vs. road tuning? Sorry if this is a silly question. This is the first time I've heard of road tuning.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind...dyno plot shown! Duh...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by DomozitoLK
Was this car dyno tuned or road tuned? What are the advantages of dyno tuning vs. road tuning? Sorry if this is a silly question. This is the first time I've heard of road tuning.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind...dyno plot shown! Duh...

Actually this car was indeed road tuned. Whenever I road tune, I use a wideband O2 sensor as well as my own proprietary Road Dyno software (that's where these graphs are from). As long as the road dyno is operated propperly and the pull is performed on very flat road, the numbers it produces are extremely close to what is seen on a Mustang chassis dyno.

As far as road tuning vs. dyno tuning, IMO both have their own advantages. Dyno tuning is very convenient in that you don't need a wide open road with very little traffic and thus it can be done in just about any location. Dyno's are also very good at precisely measuring the power output of the car, while Road Dyno software requires that a bit more care is taken (in the form of using a completely flat road and propper calibration settings) to keep numbers accurate and consistant.

Road Tuning on the other hand allows for the tune to be performed under the actual conditions in which the car will be operating every day. While a dyno can come close to simulating real world conditions, some things such as air flow and load are never simulated perfectly. In that aspect, a road tune can actually provide a smoother and more consistant tune than dyno tuning alone.

The best overall tunes are actually a combination of road and dyno tuning. This allows the tuner to get a good general tune on the dyno where its convenient and overall power levels can be seen and then smooth out any inconsistancies on the road. This sort of tune is only really necessary for heavily modded cars, however, and for basic mods, either a just a road tune using the propper tools or a dyno tune with a little road testing afterwards is more than sufficient to provide a good tune.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on the topic.

Thanks

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 07-21-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for answering my questions so fast (and thoroughly)! I am pretty much sold on getting a ProTuned COBB AP now. Once I get my uppipe installed I'll give you a call.

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by DomozitoLK
Thanks for answering my questions so fast (and thoroughly)! I am pretty much sold on getting a ProTuned COBB AP now. Once I get my uppipe installed I'll give you a call.

Thanks again!
I look forward to hearing from you, and as always, please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 Aspen White WRX wagon
Any discounts for an old customer?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by symon
Any discounts for an old customer?
Simpson,

Indeed, I always take care of my previous customers

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This is a good point. I tuned several cars using StreetTUNER before ProTUNER was released. To those customers I will extend an offer for a completely free re-tune using ProTUNER. That way you guys can sell your StreetTUNER software and recover some of the initial cost.

I also understand that some of my previous Ecutek tuned customers might be interested in switching to the AccessPORT. I feel that these customer deserve a deal as well, so for you, I will offer a free tune with the purchase of an AccessPORT at base price. I urge such customers to try to sell their Ecutek reflashed ECU's in trade for stock ECU's so that you may recover atleast part of the initial Ecutek license fee which will also help with the purchase of the AccessPORT.

I hope I'm not leaving anyone out here

Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 AM

Would you happen to have graph of 05 STI stock + your custom tuning?

tv
Old 07-23-2005, 12:20 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by timv
Would you happen to have graph of 05 STI stock + your custom tuning?

tv
I don't have a graph of a stock one, but here is an 04 STI with TBE before and after tuning:

And here's an 05 STI with an APS 3.5" TBE after tuning:

Both of these tunes and graphs were done in 90-95 degree weather.

Thanks

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 07-23-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
damn.. maybe i should get a fen cobb crap for my douche rocket

Last edited by dr3d1zzl3; 07-24-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I was confused too...my email notice from this thread said he said this originally (I have no idea what his modified post means):

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
sups up ed...

i can vouch for ed and gruppe-s

mike at gruppe-s has a bad *** rig, and ed seems to know his stuff (havent seen his work in person
yet)..

granted me and ed butted heads a bit but its all gravy we worked that crap out and i cant say that
i have the same compliants i once had..
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Hahah... that was a random post edited to become an even more random post.
Dre, were you drunk posting?