EQ Tuning = Cobb AccessPORT dealer and ProTUNER!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Do the EQT base maps differ from the COBB base maps? Since the AP's are able to be custom tuned now, I'm on the fence between Vishnu's XEDE and COBB AP's. I have the hardware for Vishnu's stage zero (uppipe and underdrive pulley) but not the reflash or XEDE unit. Based on price alone...the AP is looking very appealing.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by DomozitoLK
Do the EQT base maps differ from the COBB base maps? Since the AP's are able to be custom tuned now, I'm on the fence between Vishnu's XEDE and COBB AP's. I have the hardware for Vishnu's stage zero (uppipe and underdrive pulley) but not the reflash or XEDE unit. Based on price alone...the AP is looking very appealing.

Thanks!
The EQT base maps differ a good deal from Cobb's base maps. I have fairly different approach than Cobb and I also know our lovely cali fuel much better than they do .

The AP with a ProTUNER tune have many advantages over the Xede. The Xede is still a piggy back just like UTEC or unichip and will always suffer atleast partially from the standard piggy back issues such as unsmooth operation around the activation point, wandering a/f levels, inconsistant boost, and a wandering overall power levels as the piggy back can conflict with the stock ECU's programming. With the AP, you get the full benefit of having access to all of the OEM ECU's functions, parameters, and safety features since it is in essence a reflash, with the added functionality of being able to switch between multiple maps. On top of all of that, the system is cheaper than the Xede. IMO, its a pretty easy choice to make.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy
At this point I actually wish I had an AP instead of an EcuTek tune. It would be really, really convenient
I agree! Oh well...
Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Car Info: it's nice
will "Pre-Protuner" EQ Tuning customers warrant a re-tune?
Sounds like you're really impressed with the software.

Speaking from someone who delt with Ed and now knowing Cobb's AP off the shelf maps, I am very excited that Ed's offering a base map FREE with a purchase of AP. Something I wish I was offered when I bought my Accessport.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Rocket Man
will "Pre-Protuner" EQ Tuning customers warrant a re-tune?
Sounds like you're really impressed with the software.
This is a good point. I tuned several cars using StreetTUNER before ProTUNER was released. To those customers I will extend an offer for a completely free re-tune using ProTUNER. That way you guys can sell your StreetTUNER software and recover some of the initial cost.

I also understand that some of my previous Ecutek tuned customers might be interested in switching to the AccessPORT. I feel that these customer deserve a deal as well, so for you, I will offer a free tune with the purchase of an AccessPORT at base price. I urge such customers to try to sell their Ecutek reflashed ECU's in trade for stock ECU's so that you may recover atleast part of the initial Ecutek license fee which will also help with the purchase of the AccessPORT.

I hope I'm not leaving anyone out here

Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
does the cobb ap comes with the street tuner software or you have to purchase it seperately?

thanks

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This is a good point. I tuned several cars using StreetTUNER before ProTUNER was released. To those customers I will extend an offer for a completely free re-tune using ProTUNER. That way you guys can sell your StreetTUNER software and recover some of the initial cost.

I also understand that some of my previous Ecutek tuned customers might be interested in switching to the AccessPORT. I feel that these customer deserve a deal as well, so for you, I will offer a free tune with the purchase of an AccessPORT at base price. I urge such customers to try to sell their Ecutek reflashed ECU's in trade for stock ECU's so that you may recover atleast part of the initial Ecutek license fee which will also help with the purchase of the AccessPORT.

I hope I'm not leaving anyone out here

Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 11:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by lin_tp2
does the cobb ap comes with the street tuner software or you have to purchase it seperately?

thanks
StreetTUNER must be purchased seperately. Its basically a simplified version of the ProTUNER software meant for the end user who wants to do some of their own tuning or doesn't have a qualified tuner in their area.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Red face

Hi. ED,

I want to know if I am understanding your correctly - obviously, I'm not too familiar with engine management. Street-tuner is a tuning software that can be bought by a lay person like me who wants to customize the ecu map. Pro-tuner is a more sofisticated software that can be only used by a cobb authorized personale - which you claim to be. So if I call cobb ask who is Ed Uksusman, they would know who you are. Which means you have experience and qualification to tune the subarus. Is that correct? It would be nice for you to expand on this. For example, about your subaru experience. I went to your website, couldn't find answers regarding this question. Hope I'm not offending you.

I already have Accesport. Lets say I want to upgrade my WRX from stage 2 to new IHI turbo with supporting mods. In such case, I would like to customize the ecu map since I heard negative remarks about off the shelf maps, i.e. cobb stage 2.5 map. In such scenario, you are able to tune my WRX for 175/hr at Gruppe-s dyno. And all I need to bring is my accessport and the car - and there is no need for me to buy additional softwares such as street tuner or pro tuner? If that is so, this sounds like a great deal since so many of us already own Accessport. Am I understanding you correctly?

Jun
Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Hi Jun,

You are correct, StreetTUNER is a simplified tuning software that can be purchased by anyone wishing to tune their own ECU and learn more about tuning. ProTUNER, on the other hand, is a much more complex software that can only be purchased by professional tuners who have been approved by Cobb. If you go on Cobb's website, they have a list of all current ProTUNER's, and of course EQ Tuning is on it. And yes, if you call them, they should know who I am as well . As for the specifics to my qualifications... I have been working with EFI tuning for over 4 years. I started with VW's and about two years ago moved to working with Subaru's. I've been tuning Subaru's using Ecutek reflash technology for the past year and have had great success with it. So far every single customer of mine has been very happy with their tune and my customer service.
As far as my website, I have not yet had a chance to update it with the new Cobb information and nn fact I'm working on a much more complete and permanent website design right now that will include much more information and look a bit better too .

As per your final question... you are absolutely correct. Since you already have an AccessPORT, you have in essence already purchased your "license" and any tuner with ProTUNER can tune your AccessPORT without you having to purchase any other software. The only thing you have to pay for is the tuning time ($175/hour for dyno tuning and $100/hour for road tuning in my case).

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 07-18-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 07 Silver Mazdaspeed 3
who do i need to call to set up an appointment? I am already running a cobb stage 2.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by okpanic
who do i need to call to set up an appointment? I am already running a cobb stage 2.

You can e-mail ed@eqtuning.com, pm me here, or call me at 530-400-6613.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
nice meeting you ed. I was the one who near the end of the meet was having a long conversation about tuning, and whatnot.

i hope to visit you in the near future to get some power out of my car
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by yayitzian
nice meeting you ed. I was the one who near the end of the meet was having a long conversation about tuning, and whatnot.

i hope to visit you in the near future to get some power out of my car
Nice meeting you as well. I look forward to making your car more fun to drive
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Whats up Ed:

I was the kid talking to you about my 3000Gt, tuning itt and stuff nice meeting you! Maybe I can get a S-AFC and you can l33t-tune my car hahah

John
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by slagehammer
Whats up Ed:

I was the kid talking to you about my 3000Gt, tuning itt and stuff nice meeting you! Maybe I can get a S-AFC and you can l33t-tune my car hahah

John
Nice meeting you too John. It would be a lot of fun to play with the VR4

Quick Reply: EQ Tuning = Cobb AccessPORT dealer and ProTUNER!