Engine Light Halp

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 12 STi
hey justin, got the code pulled? call me if you still need help!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
well thats good you told us the time because most cels thrown after 5pm usually mean your car will explode.

and may i ask how you over filled your engine, did you just keep pouring or lose track of the amount of oil, or what?

gl, hopefully you figure everything out
yeah thank God it was at 5. I just overpoured it a bit, the oil reached teh notch on hte dipstick. Oil level is fine now though.

Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
hey justin, got the code pulled? call me if you still need help!
Thanks for hte offer Leo, stg2legacy helped me get the code. P0303 cylinder 3 misfire which is what I think I had last time.

Messed up thing is they said that it would be under warranty if they can't attribute my catback to the problem. Really subaru, a catback?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:38 PM

would and overfill of engine oil cause a Misfire?..Oil in the Spark PLugs?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:53 PM

^probably not, it was only in cylinder 3. I checked the oil and its about where it should be now.

Update: Okay dealership failed today. Their scanning tool broke and they couldn't diagnose the problem which happens to be the misfire.

Should I just change the plugs? or maybe replace plug#3 as well?
As mentioned before it could be the fuel, so I'll burn off the last of it, clear the code and get some better 91 to eliminate that variable.

Edit: okay, so assuming it was the gas. would the misfire really only be in one of the cylinders? Wouldn't it be in more than one?

Last edited by Pactin; 10-22-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
If the misfire is localized to one cylinder I doubt its the fuel. Best bet would be to do a compression test first. If that comes out ok, swap out the plugs and change the coil from #3 to a different cylinder. If the misfire follows the coilpack, you know that's the problem, if not, keep looking.

-- Ed
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
If the misfire is localized to one cylinder I doubt its the fuel. Best bet would be to do a compression test first. If that comes out ok, swap out the plugs and change the coil from #3 to a different cylinder. If the misfire follows the coilpack, you know that's the problem, if not, keep looking.

-- Ed
sorry for the noob question, but what would a compression test prove?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by Pactin
sorry for the noob question, but what would a compression test prove?
if your motor is healthy or not.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM

wtf?

so I started it up about half an hour ago and the CEL wasnt there. At about the same time my low gas light turned on as well. Would you say the fuel had something to do with it ?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I have a shelf of cracked pistons that past either compression test, leakdown, or both.
Pay professional to properly diagnose the problem; pulling the code is only the beginning of proper diagnostics.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Car Info: bici putas
check grammar often? lol

compression tests are a relative measurement of the maximum pressure a cylinder will hold. It is measured at the spark plug hole using a specialized gauge indicator during engine cranking.

if this test results in a pressure that is out of specification, it warrants a leakdown test, where the cylinder is pressurized using compressed air, and pressure drop is accounted for in a percentage. It helps pinpoint the cause of a poor compression number.

I'm not sure how a cracked piston would give acceptable numbers in either test. Are you insinuating that these tests are not a proper diagnosis?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by knock
check grammar often? lol

compression tests are a relative measurement of the maximum pressure a cylinder will hold. It is measured at the spark plug hole using a specialized gauge indicator during engine cranking.

if this test results in a pressure that is out of specification, it warrants a leakdown test, where the cylinder is pressurized using compressed air, and pressure drop is accounted for in a percentage. It helps pinpoint the cause of a poor compression number.

I'm not sure how a cracked piston would give acceptable numbers in either test. Are you insinuating that these tests are not a proper diagnosis?
I have actually seen a cracked piston pass compression and leakdown. It really depends on how badly cracked it is. A small enough crack in the ringland won't do much to overall compression until it gets bad enough.

-- Ed
Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by knock
Sorry for the poor grammar, spelling, etc; travelled all day yesterday & still have a headache.

Either test is only one step towards proper diagnostic work, and that's where the professional has the advantage over the lay person that reads teh internets.

Doing "research" on the internet, I can know every thing about performing heart surgury.
Does that make me qualified to start cracking chests open?

Getting back to cracked pistons, I stand by my earlier statement and will (most likely) any other person that works on Subarus day in and day out.

For me, the most reliable test in determining whether a piston has cracked ringlands is oil consumption.

For example: The engine that came out of my 2005 STi had all 4 pistons with cracked/missing ringlands and guess what?
No misfire CELs were present and the motor ran strong.
What was the symptom?
Excessive oil consumption...like one liter every 400 miles excessive.

I'd love to stick around, but my Advanced Engine Diagnostics class is starting in a few minutes.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 PM

Car Info: bici putas
Excellent!! I agree that these are great tests when used in conjunction with a full diagnostic inspection. It would be foolish to say that any one test is the end all be all top titty. My bad for being a grammar nerd.