Engine Light Halp

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Engine Light Halp

What a ****ty day it was today. First my house's water goes out, and now my car just threw a check engine light.

Anybody in the North San Jose or Fremont area have a OBDII code reader. I need the code pulled to see whats up as I am super stumped.

Car ran fine up until today (CEL thrown appx 5:00pm) right after start up. Only mods are a catback which has been on my car for quite some time so I doubt thats it.

The only thing that was recently done on my car was I changed to Castrol full synthetic 5w30 oil yesterday. Before that I ran castrol syntec blend 5w30 (blend of dino and synthetic oil) and had no problems. Would overfilling cause any issues like this? I may have accidentally filled the oil to the notch on the dipstick.

I'm thinking it might be a misfire again. That's right again. My previous CEL was a misfire due to revving the engine under no load. That was cleared by the dealer and I don't rev my car in neutral.

Any help or input greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Revving the engine in neutral should not cause a misfire. How many miles do you have on the car?

-- Ed
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM

^I forget if the tech said over-revving or something, either way it was a misfire code. About 21k miles on it. Oh yeah, and temperature gauge read "normally", but the car did feel a bit sluggish before the light came on so I stayed out of boost. Could this have been retarding?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Its possible that you felt some timing being pulled. It could also be a fueling inconsistency like a bad tank or a dirty fuel filter. Although the latter is less likely with your mileage. If it is a misfire again, I'd recommend doing a compression test and swapping out the plugs in the process.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Its possible that you felt some timing being pulled. It could also be a fueling inconsistency like a bad tank or a dirty fuel filter. Although the latter is less likely with your mileage. If it is a misfire again, I'd recommend doing a compression test and swapping out the plugs in the process.

Thanks
-- Ed
In terms of a bad tank, I did happen to get gas from a different station (cheap Valero 91 as the low fuel light came on), and yeah fuel filter shouldn't be that dirty with my mileage.

I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow to get the code pulled and see if it is a miss. I will get a compression test and get some new plugs should that be the case.

Thanks a bunch Ed!

oh btw, are there any precautions I should take while the light is on? I've got a 30mi commute back home, then another 25mi to the dealership.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Hey if you still got my # gimme a call tonight. You can stop by tomorrow morning and I'll pull the code for you.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
I got an obd2 reader if you need it
Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the support guys! I will most likely give you a call tonight Jeff as you're a bit closer than Cesar.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
does the stealership charge you for pulling codes? I know the Chino Hills one asked for $90 to pull a code. I basically laughed at him, and said for that price I could buy my own OBDII reader. So I did.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
does the stealership charge you for pulling codes? I know the Chino Hills one asked for $90 to pull a code. I basically laughed at him, and said for that price I could buy my own OBDII reader. So I did.
I was still under warranty last time ( as of right now still actually ) so I wasnt charged. Plus the service manager was really cool.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

If you're under warranty, it may be a good idea to get the cel documented with the dealership in case it turns out to be something more serious.

As far as driving, just don't go crazy on it until the issues is resolved.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Last edited by Pactin; 10-22-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: read the post wrong
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Pactin
I was still under warranty last time ( as of right now still actually ) so I wasnt charged. Plus the service manager was really cool.
Carlsen wanted $125 last time I asked (few years ago) so I bought some OBDII software that came with a cable and have used it a lot. Happy to check yours but I am near San Mateo.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Justin at Capitol Subaru will probably pull the OBD codes for you, no problem. They're also pretty good about helping people out.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by Pactin
What a ****ty day it was today. First my house's water goes out, and now my car just threw a check engine light.

Anybody in the North San Jose or Fremont area have a OBDII code reader. I need the code pulled to see whats up as I am super stumped.

Car ran fine up until today (CEL thrown appx 5:00pm)
right after start up. Only mods are a catback which has been on my car for quite some time so I doubt thats it.

The only thing that was recently done on my car was I changed to Castrol full synthetic 5w30 oil yesterday. Before that I ran castrol syntec blend 5w30 (blend of dino and synthetic oil) and had no problems. Would overfilling cause any issues like this? I may have accidentally filled the oil to the notch on the dipstick.

I'm thinking it might be a misfire again. That's right again. My previous CEL was a misfire due to revving the engine under no load. That was cleared by the dealer and I don't rev my car in neutral.

Any help or input greatly appreciated.
well thats good you told us the time because most cels thrown after 5pm usually mean your car will explode.

and may i ask how you over filled your engine, did you just keep pouring or lose track of the amount of oil, or what?

gl, hopefully you figure everything out

Quick Reply: Engine Light Halp