ECUtec Tuning By Shiggy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
^ nice avatar
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Guys....
If you want a tune that is a true tune. This is it.
Its more then just a tune. You get a person that basicly inspect and adjusts your engine, Then road tunes, Then readjusts the tune again with a few runs on the dyno. Adjusting everything as he goes to give you the best tune your car can ever get.

I have watched him get tools out and measure intake and exhaust inner piping diameters, Adjust wastegates, and so on.

This is NOT a 30 min tune. Load the car on the dyno and plug into your AP and make a quick pull, flash the car and hand it back to you. Kevin told me last year some cars take two days to tune. So your not paying for a quick flash. Your paying for the labor of a true tuner doing his thing which takes time when done right.

Hell last year he turned my car and money down because my car was not ready for it. Thats how high of a standard he has.
I hope to get in this time.

I'm not 100% on the pricing and AutoHQ I'm sure will anwser in on this but.

I would expect that that price is Tuning and also the cost of the ecutek lic if you do not have the lic. I paid $650 just for the lic. at dynocmp and tune was extra hich ended up being a 30 min tune.

Also keep in mind that I think it was EDO's race car that was just ecutek tuned by shiggy using GST's dyno.

I do know last few times he was here he was fully booked up also. So he books up fast.

Last edited by I<3subie; 09-14-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
This is the Bay Area, if you want a world-class tune then either Mike or Ed can provide it to you. I'm not sure of the need for tuners flying in.

I'm not criticizing Shiggy, I just think you will need to lower your prices to get any interest.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by glenspen
This is the Bay Area, if you want a world-class tune then either Mike or Ed can provide it to you. I'm not sure of the need for tuners flying in.

I'm not criticizing Shiggy, I just think you will need to lower your prices to get any interest.
I'm sure he will be booked up again fast this time. People come from places outside the bayarea for his tunes.

I know its allot of cash, But its not just a AP tune and real time dyno tune flash.

Also if you look at it this way.

$650 for cost of new Ap V2
$400 for a Protune.

Your just about there...... So really its not that much more for Shiggy to work his magic.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by SLEEPERWRX
Hey AutoHQ guys,
Help me understand the value of this.
The last tune I had was a road tune via my access port. Since then I have done an exhaust "upgrade" and I'm sure I could benefit from another tune, but I am unfamiliar with ECUtec.
ECUtek is just another EM. You already have a cobb stick with that. If you are adding engine mods that affect fuel/timing then I'd recommend you go get your car retuned from a cobb protuner again.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Car Info: .
Admittedly I'm not really 'in the know' with the JDM tuner world but can someone give me some credentials? I have never heard this guys name before AHQ sang his praises.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Why would anyone choose ecutek nowdays There are many better options.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Break it down like this:
$600 for EcuTek license
$350 flat fee for road tune (several hours till he is done with the car)
$350 flat fee for dyno tune (several hours till he is done with the car)
The rest of the money is pooled together to fly him down here, get him a hotel room, and also rent out somebody's dyno for a whole day.

It seems expensive, but he is quality, and he really spends his time getting your car tuned properly.

I had a protune done by a popular bay area tuner (won't say who but he's a big soccer fan and the world cup was on at the time) and my custom tune was done in less than an hour. My guess was that they just loaded up a general map, did some dyno pulls, tweaked some numbers, dyno pulled again, and then done. It seemed rushed and my car only made 10 whp more than when I was untuned.

Shiggy on the other hand, even though he was running way behind on time, still took the time to road tune by car into the evening (with another car waiting to be tuned after me) and get it right no matter how long it took.

The same was with the dyno tune. Running behind on time, he didn't take any breaks after tuning a car before me, and went straight to tuning my car. Several hours later, it was done in the late afternoon with yet another car behind me.

After the tune, the car pulls great, and it was worth every penny spent.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Admittedly I'm not really 'in the know' with the JDM tuner world but can someone give me some credentials? I have never heard this guys name before AHQ sang his praises.
He was Zerosports' lead tuner before he left a couple months back.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by glenspen

Ed--world-class my ***. I hear that he doesn't know popular electronic boost controllers, and instead recommends manual boost controllers, and he recommends everyone to get dicksworkz modified injectors.

Not as many people in the area have been tuned by Shiggy as by Mike or Ed, but look for any reports about Shiggy tuning possibly damaging anyone's car. You will not find any.

Say about $500 for a license, not so much to ask considering the price of other reflash options (and don't even mention opensource, analogous to using bootleg computer software, of course that provides no support). Also, consider that many people using opensource are tuning their own cars and don't know what they are doing. Good luck looking for free help for your cheap *** if you choose any cheap/free wanna-be tuners.

And just so you know, it takes zero qualifications to become a Cobb tuner. Cobb never asks about your qualifications. All you need is $2500 for the tuning software for all Subaru models they support, a reseller's permit, a business address outside other shops' territories (aka, most of the land area of the United States of America), and to send one dude at Cobb an e-mail. Oh yeah, there is a paper application, I think about 4 pages, and then a 14 page license agreement. It's that simple: now you are a tuner! Hahahaha.

With one paycheck (from a man with a real job) anyone can open a business (at least on paper) and buy Cobb. Suddenly, road tune some cars and yap on the forums for a couple years, and now you are a world-class tuner! Yeah right, then you are Ed.

The only thing you have to be careful about is picking your business address!

$1000 for a custom tune from a very experienced tuner with a great record--well, when you have spent so much money on your car--$1000 ain't **** for piece of mind and good work. Really, if you have spent 20K+ in mods, or even 5K, do you want to have any problems, short or long term, with your car? Do you want a tuner who spends 3 or 4 hours with your car, only on the road, or only on the dyno? Or do you want a tuner who spends 2-3 hours with your car in the parking lot, most of the day with your car on the street, and then finishes off the tune on a dyno. I'd rather someone spend 8+ hours with my car, and I'm happy to pay the guy who is twice as careful or who does more work---to pay him twice as much money.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Break it down like this:
$600 for EcuTek license
$350 flat fee for road tune (several hours till he is done with the car)
$350 flat fee for dyno tune (several hours till he is done with the car)
The rest of the money is pooled together to fly him down here, get him a hotel room, and also rent out somebody's dyno for a whole day.
I have actually rode/driven for Shiggy during many of his tunings. Just to give yall an idea, my car's ecu has been flashed around 120 times by Shiggy!

When he tunes a car, he spends about 4 hours on the road doing the road tune and about 3-4 hours on the dyno fine tuning his road tune. Many of the people that have been tuned by Shiggy can verify that they have driven their car out to the dyno and waited for 3-4 hours for the dyno tune.

If you don't have the time to wait, you can drop your car off at AHQ and they will take care of it all. A lot of the customers though, want to be part of the experience and want to see what's going on, so they are welcome to meet out at the dyno and hang out.

Let's break this down....8 hrs of tuning @ $700= $87.50/hr. The labor rate of your local Subaru dealer is well over $100/hour for service. In my eyes, to pay for his hotel, flight, food, etc, $87.50 per hour is a BARGIN!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 PM

Oh yeah, if anyone has any questions about the AHQ tunings, please feel free to pm me/post the question on this thread, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Besides Kevin himself, I have the most experience with Shiggy and how these tunings work.
Eric
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by viperkillersti
Ed--world-class my ***. I hear that he doesn't know popular electronic boost controllers, and instead recommends manual boost controllers, and he recommends everyone to get dicksworkz modified injectors.

Not as many people in the area have been tuned by Shiggy as by Mike or Ed, but look for any reports about Shiggy tuning possibly damaging anyone's car. You will not find any.

Say about $500 for a license, not so much to ask considering the price of other reflash options (and don't even mention opensource, analogous to using bootleg computer software, of course that provides no support). Also, consider that many people using opensource are tuning their own cars and don't know what they are doing. Good luck looking for free help for your cheap *** if you choose any cheap/free wanna-be tuners.

And just so you know, it takes zero qualifications to become a Cobb tuner. Cobb never asks about your qualifications. All you need is $2500 for the tuning software for all Subaru models they support, a reseller's permit, a business address outside other shops' territories (aka, most of the land area of the United States of America), and to send one dude at Cobb an e-mail. Oh yeah, there is a paper application, I think about 4 pages, and then a 14 page license agreement. It's that simple: now you are a tuner! Hahahaha.

With one paycheck (from a man with a real job) anyone can open a business (at least on paper) and buy Cobb. Suddenly, road tune some cars and yap on the forums for a couple years, and now you are a world-class tuner! Yeah right, then you are Ed.

The only thing you have to be careful about is picking your business address!

$1000 for a custom tune from a very experienced tuner with a great record--well, when you have spent so much money on your car--$1000 ain't **** for piece of mind and good work. Really, if you have spent 20K+ in mods, or even 5K, do you want to have any problems, short or long term, with your car? Do you want a tuner who spends 3 or 4 hours with your car, only on the road, or only on the dyno? Or do you want a tuner who spends 2-3 hours with your car in the parking lot, most of the day with your car on the street, and then finishes off the tune on a dyno. I'd rather someone spend 8+ hours with my car, and I'm happy to pay the guy who is twice as careful or who does more work---to pay him twice as much money.
theas are very strong words for some one with just one post.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Shiggy's record with blown motors proves his price tag
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
seriously we dont any problems here. if you want to get tuned by a cobb access port then go to someone else. if you want to get tuned by shiggy using ecutek then let autohq know. other then that you guys really dont have to post in here talkin about other tuners and causing problems.

Quick Reply: ECUtec Tuning By Shiggy!