Dumpster diving..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB WRX
Dumpster diving..

..is it illegal or no? Or does it vary by region?

I swear this is the most annoying thing ever. Every Friday morning there's an old couple that comes into my neighborhood and just starts making all kinds of noise. I'm not sure if they're homeless or not but whatever. So keep in mind that I live in a newer neighborhood with a bunch of townhouses so the way we put our trash out is to line our cans on the curb along a small stretch of bushes. There must be at least 16 or so trashcans every week. And my unit just so happens to be the closest to the curb.

So everyday Friday morning between the hours of 4am-6am I'm woken up by the rustling noise of a shopping cart coming up the street, followed by the commotion of cans rolling, glass bottles, cans being crushed, and the slamming of garbage can doors. ITS ANNOYING AS FAWK! It seriously makes me wanna go outside and ask them to leave. I think one of my neighbors had confronted them a while back.

What would be the best thing for me to do? I don't wanna call the cops becahse
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Dumpster diving..

I swear this is the most annoying thing ever. Every Friday morning there's an old couple that comes into my neighborhood and just starts making all kinds of noise. I'm not sure if they're homeless or not but whatever. So keep in mind that I live in a newer neighborhood with a bunch of townhouses so the way we put our trash out is to line our cans on the curb along a small stretch of bushes. There must be at least 16 or so trashcans every week. And my unit just so happens to be the closest to the curb.

So everyday Friday morning between the hours of 4am-6am I'm woken up by the rustling noise of a shopping cart coming up the street, followed by the commotion of cans rolling, glass bottles, cans being crushed, and the slamming of garbage can doors. ITS ANNOYING AS FAWK! It seriously makes me wanna go outside and ask them to leave. I think one of my neighbors had confronted them a while back.

What would be the best thing for me to do? I don't wanna call the cops because the couple would be gone by the time SJPD would even arrive, if at all.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Mods please delete this post as it is unfinished and I pressed the wrong button
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
#firstworldproblems

The best thing to do sounds like you should crush your cans and recycle.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
It's illegal, at least in TX. I know this because I know someone arrested for digging collectible items out of a store's dumpster bin. Legally the items are still the property of the store even though they threw them out.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Legal... If you have waste management cans, they aren't actually yours and at the curb, they are in the public domain. Dumpsters/your own cans is different I think.

Although I think they are technically disturbing the peace if they are waking you up at 4am.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Your cans or waste management cans sitting along the curb = free game to all. You can only get them for being loud, but the SJPD will not do anything. I would get poop, dog, cat, human, squatch, and place it on the top of the trash in my can.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Start separating the recycling and leaving it out in a trashbag so they do not have to rifle through everything.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by queeg9k
Start separating the recycling and leaving it out in a trashbag so they do not have to rifle through everything.
They'll still do it.

Be happy you guys don't have my problem.... gigantic raccoons.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by faraco3
I would get poop, dog, cat, human, squatch, and place it on the top of the trash in my can.
Would you really? That sounds like a lot of time spent collecting poop, not sure if I would fancy that much.

We had a homeless guy in Pacifica that was going through everybody's trash and making a mess so we called the police who came out and took him away. They told my neighbor that they need your permission to go through your trash.

I felt really bad for the dude, he was obviously at a low point in his life and so I didn't care but my neighbor was not in agreement and called the cops.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
This reminds me of a story.

My wife usually wakes up before me, and one Friday morning, I got up first. and I saw the weirdest thing. I lived in a town home, so the back is all open. I saw a lady drag a big bag of cans and toss it over the fence into a backyard. I take it that it was her back yard, cuz i see a guy grab the bag and bring it somewhere else.

I was like WTF????? I woke my wife to tell her.. she goes "oh yeah that lady does that every week..." hahahah
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
My neighbor has grandparents that dumpster dive ****ing annoying. But in California I think once you put it in the street its public property? Not sure though
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
File a noise complaint, cities usually have 'quiet hours' between 10pm-6am.

In a complex we used to live in, we had dumpster divers coming about 4am so they sent a LEO to swing by at around that time. Made contact with the homeless dude, told him if he was seen in the area again he'd be arrested. He didn't come back, or if he did he was a whole lot quieter
Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
I answered in your other thread, but.....file a noise complaint.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by LazyKidd209

What would be the best thing for me to do? I don't wanna call the cops becahse

call the cops.

If they are taking recyclables out of the recyclable bins that's taking from the recycling companies.
It is one way those collection companies can keep cost down and process all the rest of the non-profitable items to be recycled.
Also,check with your local laws. It might be considered petty theft.

Quick Reply: Dumpster diving..