DSL vs Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I don't understand half the stuff in this thread.

... this post was brought to you by Comcast
Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
so should i lease the modem from Comcast or get one myself? does it really matter?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Car Info: '05 sti
Originally Posted by pwn
So after I get your IP address by nicely asking an admin for the last IP on file for your handle, would you like it from my box w/ a 100mbit drop, or from my connection at work which is 10 gigabit ethernet? Too bad I'm stuck at 10/100 from the switch though =[. h4x!!!
i'll take it from ur 10 gig work line. then after the st0rm i'll take a look in the logs for the IP
then i'll have my collection of .edu's, .jp's and other upstream <3's send u some <3 via UDP =]
then i'll email ur boss saying it was 4 u

/rant
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
All g.lite ADSL modem bridges/routers i've seen by alcatel have a maximum supported speed of 8mb/ps (bits not Bytes. 8bits=1byte for non tech people) downstream, and 1mb/ps upstream. I am fairly certain that the max on g.lite ADSL is 8mb/ps but you need to be <1500 feet loop distance from the CO, AND there be a DSLAM that will link at that speed. Thank you US telcos for crippling broadband in America.

Cable media has a higher capable through-put than DSL. You can(or used to be able to) modify the firmware of cable modems and increase upload/download speeds. If you were caught though you were in deep doo-doo and would lose your net connection.
Comcast has configured QoS on probably all customer lines. This means they can burst through-put on your downloads for a few seconds then throttle you down to what your service is rated at. go to www.kernel.org and download any one of the 700+MB files and you'll see the throttling occur after several seconds.

I think it really comes down to the area you are in and how new or old the phone/cable lines are in your area. if one doesn't work out for you and you've eliminated all factors on your end then try the other medium. I am about ready to switch to cable service because in the winter time when it rains my DSL drops out constantly. I need to get AT&T to replace the MPOE box with a NEMA enclosure instead of the old 1970's steel box with 5 posts. hopefully this will fix it, but who knows.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by StupidDent
so should i lease the modem from Comcast or get one myself? does it really matter?
edit: it'd be easier to just go with the modem they provide you. unless you have your heart set on a modem that has built in routing capabilities along with wireless or good firewall options.

Last edited by sti4j0n; 08-11-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mcdrama
All g.lite ADSL modem bridges/routers i've seen by alcatel have a maximum supported speed of 8mb/ps (bits not Bytes. 8bits=1byte for non tech people) downstream, and 1mb/ps upstream. I am fairly certain that the max on g.lite ADSL is 8mb/ps but you need to be <1500 feet loop distance from the CO, AND there be a DSLAM that will link at that speed. Thank you US telcos for crippling broadband in America.

Cable media has a higher capable through-put than DSL. You can(or used to be able to) modify the firmware of cable modems and increase upload/download speeds. If you were caught though you were in deep doo-doo and would lose your net connection.
Comcast has configured QoS on probably all customer lines. This means they can burst through-put on your downloads for a few seconds then throttle you down to what your service is rated at. go to www.kernel.org and download any one of the 700+MB files and you'll see the throttling occur after several seconds.

I think it really comes down to the area you are in and how new or old the phone/cable lines are in your area. if one doesn't work out for you and you've eliminated all factors on your end then try the other medium. I am about ready to switch to cable service because in the winter time when it rains my DSL drops out constantly. I need to get AT&T to replace the MPOE box with a NEMA enclosure instead of the old 1970's steel box with 5 posts. hopefully this will fix it, but who knows.

Good luck.

nice post, and as far as the cable hacks go they're pretty hard to do now adays for sure. I remember about 5 years ago when cable was new to New York, I found a "cable box uncapper" if you would, and modded the firmware.
It was great we got another meg or so out of it, but a few months later they called me all pissed off because their ISP sent out signals to temp disable modems with that flashed firmware.
anywho...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor

alright just placed an order for comcast... should be getting the modem in a week or so...
Old 08-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by StupidDent
alright just placed an order for comcast... should be getting the modem in a week or so...
After you set up the modem, you have to call Comcast and have them enable your internet service. After that, it's pretty much use it and forget it.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor

yeah, i don't anticipate too much trouble... their sign-up service was pretty good... I did run into a bit of problem because of my HOA covers the cable TV. But all I had to do was to call in and create and account. Then I was able to use that account number to sign-up for the High Speed Internet only. My cable TV will continue to be billed to my HOA while the internet service to me.

Boy, I can wait! Yeah I am a dork... even I don't use that much internet at home (I am a software engineer by day and all I do is look at computers), I just hate the disconnect.

Anyway... I'll give an update soonest my cable internet is up!

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
After you set up the modem, you have to call Comcast and have them enable your internet service. After that, it's pretty much use it and forget it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor

i believe i made a good move. btw, i used the same site to test my DSL as well and it's pretty much the same as what my DSL modem reports.
Attached Thumbnails DSL vs Cable-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by DetailAddict; 08-14-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

all i have to say is...

MY DSL: 1536 kbps down and 384 kbps up
MY Cable: 30536 kbps down and 1083 kbps up

That's almost 20 times faster on the down and almost 3 time faster on the up.

I understand speed MIGHT not be consistant at 30 mbps. I'll keep an eye on it, especially between 8pm-12am.