DSL vs Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Yea I almost considered getting cable just to try that one out. That would be sweet .
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by pwn
Also, 800kbps-mbps is relatively slow. OC3 my *** as long as you are on a residential connection you could be downloading from a fractional T3 or bonded T1 and not notice the difference.
heh 3000 bucks a month for a T3, or 1000 a month for a bonded T1.. sure is worth it!

t1's are over rated.. a single is only 1.5mbps. (although thats up and DOWN)

also another ****ty thing about comcast or cable in general is more often than not they offer BULL**** for upload speeds.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
pwn

Yea I was just wondering why the hell he threw in OC3 into that unorganized rant. I think he wants to show off his 1337 net+ skillz y0!

On another note, its not really server connection capping that is going to get you, but it is the fact that you are only going to be as fast as the slowest hop along the way to your destination. A lot of times you won't get faster than 4-8mbits without some hop slowing you down. Also, the faster download speed is great if you run a ton of production servers and have backup equipment at your house. I wouldn't say that bandwidth becomes useless or wasted allotment.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:35 PM
pwn

Originally Posted by evsoul
heh 3000 bucks a month for a T3, or 1000 a month for a bonded T1.. sure is worth it!

t1's are over rated.. a single is only 1.5mbps. (although thats up and DOWN)

also another ****ty thing about comcast or cable in general is more often than not they offer BULL**** for upload speeds.
Also 3000/mo for a full T3 would be a very good price...around 66$/mbit before local loop. T1's are pretty useless though, unless you are using it for voice.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM

Car Info: '05 sti
Originally Posted by pwn
Also, 800kbps-mbps is relatively slow. OC3 my *** as long as you are on a residential connection you could be downloading from a fractional T3 or bonded T1 and not notice the difference.
okay yeah net+ is a kinda weak cert... i guess i didn't make it seem like a joke but w/e
and uhhh i was just using a strong source OC12.. just for insurance.
and i could care less about wave lengths, i'll give u a nice middle finger wave if i ever see u

but okay... before u try to flame me greg, i'll give u this
[Award] SONIC.NET 4.63 2% $37 11 A- A A A A A CA 39 recent reviews which is better than comcast's
okay bye
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Car Info: '05 sti
hey pwn j00 wanna h4v3 a p4ck3t w4r?
please include your IP address, im sure my 10mb nix b0xes w0uld pwnz0r j00
75-17-117-2xx.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net <- thats me
i'll make u work for the last two numbers
its higher than 01 and lower than 254
and ports 1337 is open on my r0uter
war!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
wow this thread quickly went to cable vs dsl battle!

well, i've done as much as I can even the tech said so. I've also gone to dslreports.com and learned a few things here and there as well. I think bottom like is my SN Margin is just bad for whatever the reason and my Line Attenuation is horrible due to distant (14000 feet), which I can't do anything about. They've already looked and make sure I am on the shortest loop.

because of my distant to the CO, I can't even go above 1.5 if I want to or willing to pay. I don't really care for speed because I don't use the internet that much at home. I just don't want it to DROP!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor

if you guys think you can help and that I should stay with DSL... Look here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r188...ue-San-Jose-CA

But I am about to give up...

Leo
Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

oh, whatever the tech just did, I am even worst now. I can't even hold at 1.5, and barely at 768 with Line Attenuation of 63.5!! Unless you guys know something I don't, I am switching over soon. At least Comcast has no contract so I can switch back if I want (no contract with att now). Since I have zero experience with Comcast and ATT/SBC is not working for me, it might be worth it to give it a try....
Old 08-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM Impreza WRX
If I had to choose and it's like you said, you'd spend 10 less if you went with comcast, I say do it. There are hard core people for either side as the thread is showing. Personally, I love my comcast service. For me, it's much faster downloading than any DSL service I've used, and it's many time more than that faster uploading. Again, that's just my experience. Most of my good buddies say the same thing.

I say to stop stressing over your current situation and give comcast a try. It couldn't hurt right? As many techs have come out to fix the problem, we'd hope it'd be fixed. It's not.... try another service. If comcast doesn't work out for you like it does me... there's no harm... you can always switch back... and you'll get all the lovely discounts for doing it... hahahahah... good luck buddy...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi, 1999 Forester L
Wow, this is quite the flame war. Time to throw my hat into the ring.

First off StupidDent, it sounds like you have a combination of 2 problems:
1. As you stated, you are at best borderline for max loop length (if you want to pm me your tel # I can request an exact loop qual test in a telco tool i have access to).
2. You have been dealing with incompetent sbc/asi techs (pretty well run of the mill).
The questions regarding your issues that I still have are as follow:
How does your phone line get to your house? Underground or on a drop from a pole on the street?
What is your internal wiring like? Do you have filters on all of the jacks except that used by the DSL modem. Does your MPOE (outside phone box) have a test jack in it, and if so what sort of line stats can telco get when you test from there.
Although I hate comcast with a passion (I'm admittedly biased as I work for sonic),
given your specific geographic location it sounds like they can offer faster speeds that would presently be available on DSL.

Greg, its good to see you fighting the good fight against comcast. You've made a majority of valid points. I'd let jon be at this point as I see this argument going no where. Admittedly, the scriptkiddie DoS challenge provided me a few seconds of laughter.

Now for a few other random intarwebz and netzverking assertions:

Comcast compares their speeds to the slowest dsl offering.

DS1s are crap against any modern IP connectivity. My 6meg/768k home line will for the most part spank at 1.5 symmetric T1. The only 2 reasons for people still ordering them are, a. they still believe that is the internet connection to have for your business (which for many years was correct), and b. they are super ****ing rock solid reliable and usually SLA backed.

Listen to pwn, the guy knows what hes talking about. All of you should reread the part about your intarwebz connection being only as fast as the slowest hop between you and where you are trying to reach. That is the most science I have seen in this entire thread. To extrapolate on that further, that is why one should be careful in picking their provider (especially if identical speed connections are offered). There are providers out there that have blazing fast speeds within their network, yet horrible upstream providers and/or peering. Basically after the first few hops, once could say "the wheels fall off."

When trying to run speedtests on your circuit, learning to do the math yourself and then uploading/downloading from a few ftp server(s) is going to be the most accurate. Beyond that at least try a number of different tests hosted in different locations. netspeed.stanford.edu is my current favorite due to the nice information it provides.

hope no one is too bored by my ramblings, its a slow afternoon and I hadn't posted to iclub in a while.

cheers,
matt
Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

^^i was waiting for you to pop in.

i think we all agree that the best is still earthlink.............
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

matt, i've gone through everything you mentioned and then some...

i'll give comcast a call as soon as possible.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
pwn

Originally Posted by sti4j0n
hey pwn j00 wanna h4v3 a p4ck3t w4r?
please include your IP address, im sure my 10mb nix b0xes w0uld pwnz0r j00
75-17-117-2xx.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net <- thats me
i'll make u work for the last two numbers
its higher than 01 and lower than 254
and ports 1337 is open on my r0uter
war!
So after I get your IP address by nicely asking an admin for the last IP on file for your handle, would you like it from my box w/ a 100mbit drop, or from my connection at work which is 10 gigabit ethernet? Too bad I'm stuck at 10/100 from the switch though =[. h4x!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

^^%^h4x0r'z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: DSL vs Cable