DSL vs Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by evsoul
COMPLETE BULL****.

comcast is 4x faster than DSL's SLOWEST product. 1.5mbps down 384kb up.

Sonic.net DSL is the best internet you can get for reliability.. customer support.. and more. SBC blows *****... but Sonic.net is much better, although you run off the same lines..

and guess what? does comcast guarantee high speeds? HELL NO.
we all heard it.. the more people on in your area, the slower your shiz goes.. the more people on in your area makes no difference unless you have every house in a territory online downloading, maxing their connections out.. and that never ever happens. I worked at Sonic.net for 2 years, and have never seen anyone call up saying "My connection is running slow" unless something was jacked up. for everyday use.. its the best solution.

and this is straight off the comcast website:

WOW i think Sonic.net offers 6mbps.. wait yes they do.. and guess what?? ITS GUARANTEED!

only thing they can't guarantee is that you will be downloading 6mbps off every site/server because obviously they don't control how fast those servers can upload to you... but ****.. 6mbps guaranteed... vs. comcast 6mbps now guaranteed...

who is actually faster?

and you gotta love how comcast compares their best product to DSL's slowest product.. thats like ferrari coming up and saying our Enzo is faster than Porsche..... then in small writing (comparisons were made with Ferrari's Enzo and Porsche's boxster)

its bull**** marketing.. so that you will think and have it stuck in your head.
Actually, its not bull****. Comcast is comparing their slowest product to DSL's slowest. Sounds fair to me.

As to guarentees....sonic.net doesn't offer one either:

Sonic.net, Inc. makes no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, for the service it is providing. Sonic.net, Inc. will not be held responsible for any damage you suffer from use of an account or service provided by Sonic.net, Inc., unless otherwise agreed to in writing. This includes- but is not limited to- equipment damage, failure or loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the company's negligence or your negligence or misuse.
As far as slowing down in the neighbourhood - that was true in the DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 days. Check your facts for more recent technlogies like DOCSIS 2.0/2.2 and 3.0 like we have in Bay Area here. They dont suffer from that issue.

Last night I DLed MacOS X updates at 24MBit....let me know when you can do that with your Sonic.net line.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 2007 STi Limited
cable > DSL

/end
Old 08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
DSL tech is out at my house right now. trying to make a last attempt to do it right. I have to give them credit for trying. I called this morning and she is out here now. This tech is a bit more knowlegable and able to tell me something I didn't know before. Appearently SJ has some crazy power issue that could cause these kind of signal drop. Oh and guess what? In order to fix that problem, I would need ANOTHER new modem!! Fortunately she said if I have an OLD modem it would work too. And guess what I have in my closet? The old SpeedStream 5100a, which is old enough for it to work. She is out to check what other customers are getting near by my area and will be adding a splitter outside of my house to narrow it to a single jack.

Unfortunately with the old modem I can check the SN Margin so I don't know if it's really stable or not. I'll have to wait for her to come back in a bit. Since I'll be keeping the service for a little bit before Comcast is out. SBC can run around a bit.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by mcowger
Actually, its not bull****. Comcast is comparing their slowest product to DSL's slowest. Sounds fair to me.

As far as slowing down in the neighbourhood - that was true in the DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 days. Check your facts for more recent technlogies like DOCSIS 2.0/2.2 and 3.0 like we have in Bay Area here. They dont suffer from that issue.

Last night I DLed MacOS X updates at 24MBit....let me know when you can do that with your Sonic.net line.
Actually if you did your homework, you would know that sonic is able to deliver that.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by mcowger

bull.... they are comparing their 6mbps line. their slowest is 4mbps.

and i cannot find it in writing but i WORKED at sonic.net for 2 yrs dealing with all of this. if someone isn't getting a full 6mbps or a full whatever they are paying for, we send a tech out and get it figured out so they will receive their full speed.. if you're provisioned at 6mbps you will get it.. the way we test if its their connection or if its the server they are downloading on is we have them download a test file from us and have them repeat the speed they are getting back to us.. if its low then something is wrong as we do not cap download speeds to our customers.. and at that point we will do everything to get them that speed.. and if its not possible based on their location they can drop the contract if they are in one..

i would like to see you call up comcast and get any of the following:

**good customer support from english speakers (all sonic support is based out of santa rosa.. about an hour north of SF)
**Get on the phone with tech support in less than a minute(sonic.net's average is under a minute)
**get a static IP address... let alone a block of 8 of them..
**host a server on your connection (clearly against comcast's policy)
**get consistent speeds any time of day. No matter where you live.
**call comcast and say you never see your max speed and want it fixed.. and have them actually do something about it.

you cannot argue ANY of that. if you can.. id love to hear it.

Last edited by evsoul; 08-10-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 209of800
cable > DSL

/end
ya inconsistent speeds. higher ping times. no static IP's. against their policy to host a server.. hmm that sounds WONDERFUL!

anyone with a bad experience with speed/dsl is probably someone who didn't do much homework and signed up for the amazing "$12.99" a month package and saw a slow connection.. ya well you get what you pay for. people get those "good deals" and end up with 1.5mbps.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
depends on your provider, depends on your neighborhood

i get 19mpbs at home on my comcast with <10ms pings to my gateway. I've seen as high as 22mbps but its usually not quite that fast.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

^^exactly. there are benefits. but just because you get that, and full 19mbps speeds doesn't mean your neighbor will.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
ya inconsistent speeds. higher ping times. no static IP's. against their policy to host a server.. hmm that sounds WONDERFUL!

anyone with a bad experience with speed/dsl is probably someone who didn't do much homework and signed up for the amazing "$12.99" a month package and saw a slow connection.. ya well you get what you pay for. people get those "good deals" and end up with 1.5mbps.
I did my homework. Got a barely functioning connection where in the modem had ot be rebooted 1-3 times per day. First hop ping times usually in excess of 30ms.

The fact is that you can more reliabily get a fast connection with cable than DSL.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

^^so because you had a faulty modem.. or router.. or connection in general makes a fact of cable being better than DSL?

did you write the book on statistics?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Car Info: '05 sti
COMPLETE BULL****.

comcast is 4x faster than DSL's SLOWEST product. 1.5mbps down 384kb up.

Sonic.net DSL is the best internet you can get for reliability.. customer support.. and more. SBC blows *****... but Sonic.net is much better, although you run off the same lines..

and guess what? does comcast guarantee high speeds? HELL NO.
we all heard it.. the more people on in your area, the slower your shiz goes.. the more people on in your area makes no difference unless you have every house in a territory online downloading, maxing their connections out.. and that never ever happens. I worked at Sonic.net for 2 years, and have never seen anyone call up saying "My connection is running slow" unless something was jacked up. for everyday use.. its the best solution.

and this is straight off the comcast website:

WOW i think Sonic.net offers 6mbps.. wait yes they do.. and guess what?? ITS GUARANTEED!

only thing they can't guarantee is that you will be downloading 6mbps off every site/server because obviously they don't control how fast those servers can upload to you... but ****.. 6mbps guaranteed... vs. comcast 6mbps now guaranteed...

who is actually faster?

and you gotta love how comcast compares their best product to DSL's slowest product.. thats like ferrari coming up and saying our Enzo is faster than Porsche..... then in small writing (comparisons were made with Ferrari's Enzo and Porsche's boxster)

its bull**** marketing.. so that you will think and have it stuck in your head.

uhhhh.. greg... go to www.dslreports.com
and check bandwidth for
adsl-X.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net <- thats pacbell yahoo dsl
check any comcast.net
from experience my DADS house has comcast and from any OC12 I can download at 800kbps-1mbps
here at my moms with PACBELL YAHOO SbCRAP i can download at 66kbps-110kbps

wtf u talkin about? atleast in the santa rosa area comcast > sbcglobal

go to DSLREPORTS.com and check bandwidth...
i checked numerous san jose NODES and COMCAST is better than ANY dsl out there
UNLESS u get their 'o so leet premium package pack me in the butthole w/ fees' line....
o yeah.. and uhh it comes down to stock cable is better than stock dsl.
fiber ftw... phone lines are slow...
its proven, i have my net+ cert dont test me ..
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
pwn

What wave lengths do those fiber connections operate at? By the way, net+ is a joke.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 PM
pwn

Originally Posted by sti4j0n
uhhhh.. greg... go to www.dslreports.com
and check bandwidth for
adsl-X.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net <- thats pacbell yahoo dsl
check any comcast.net
from experience my DADS house has comcast and from any OC12 I can download at 800kbps-1mbps
here at my moms with PACBELL YAHOO SbCRAP i can download at 66kbps-110kbps

wtf u talkin about? atleast in the santa rosa area comcast > sbcglobal

go to DSLREPORTS.com and check bandwidth...
i checked numerous san jose NODES and COMCAST is better than ANY dsl out there
UNLESS u get their 'o so leet premium package pack me in the butthole w/ fees' line....
o yeah.. and uhh it comes down to stock cable is better than stock dsl.
fiber ftw... phone lines are slow...
its proven, i have my net+ cert dont test me ..
Also, 800kbps-mbps is relatively slow. OC3 my *** as long as you are on a residential connection you could be downloading from a fractional T3 or bonded T1 and not notice the difference.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally Posted by STi_4_Keri
Get Verizon Fios if u can. Hehe
I would love to have Fios but it's not available to consumers in the bay area.

Cable > DSL for sure, everyone I know that has SBC will always randomly have their connection drop. Cable has always been reliable for me. Too bad comcast re-did the modems after taking over @Home, nothing like uncapping the modem and uploading at 1megabyte/s
Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

sorry jon but that isn't solid.

YOU have a 1.5mbps connection. and using a 3rd party "speed test" is not going to be sufficient. of course if you check your speeds from a test location thats many miles away then it won't show accurate reports.

I am not saying comcast is not fast. But is it consistent? HELL no.
I use several comcast connections through out the week.. my girlfriends parents, my aunt n uncles, my buddies. and its always random speeds. i was downloading a wrc video at my friend's house and the video was hosted on my server which is on a massive connection (can upload up to about 6 MB (as in 6,000kb per second) and i couldn't get anything over a 100kb download. and it was dropping down to 50kb and going back up.

when i downloaded the same file on my static IP DSL line.. (which i pay less money for, with 8 static IP addresses than a 4mbps comcast one dynamic IP customer does) i get a consistent 350KB/sec. thats 1/3 a megabyte a second (i don't have a faster connection because I am happy with my 3mbps connection)

if thats the logic you guys wanna use then there is my example. but the over all PROVEN statistic is that comcast is faster if you have their faster connection.. but it is not consistent. which is where it fails.. i would rather be on an 80mph freeway that is ALWAYS going to allow me to travel 80mph and no faster.. than to have a freeway that has a 120mph speed limit that does not always go that speed. it might go 120 right now.. then an hour later you could be going 30mph.

consistency is what matters.. no one needs a 10mbps for one computer.. anyone who thinks they do doesn't understand how things work.. after about 3-6mbps you generally will not see a benefit.. because most servers cap their upload speed per connection at about 400kb/sec

having a 10mbps connection only benefits a house with 4+ computers. or 2+ computers if you always run torrents or something.

and jon.. i know a lot of idiots with cert's so that doesn't mean anything

and saying:thing to know: cable = atleast 5 times faster than dsl

thats bull****.. since DSL can run up to 6mbps (will in the next year based on SBC's plans to compete with speed push 15mbps).

comcast is what like 10mbps in most areas at max?
DSL is 6? hmm thats not 5 times more..

and again they both have their benefits.. but i feel DSL has better benefits.. only thing i hate about DSL is that your distance from the central office or remote terminal will affect what speed package you are available for.. but if you're available for 6mbps provision then why go with comcast who clearly says speeds WILL not always be that high?

Quick Reply: DSL vs Cable