DSL vs Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
DSL vs Cable

Okay, this whole DSL thing is driving me NUTS!

Some of you might know what has been going on and some even offered to help. Unfortunately nothing is going well... Now I don't know why I haven't considered this before. I NEVER use my home land line and the only reason I have it is because of DSL. I keep DSL because it's $20 a month vs cable $43 a month (current promotion $20/month for the first 6 months). And I don't really surfe the web at home. I don't have to pay for cable (technically I do) because my Home Owner Association covers it. But I just did the math, even if I pay for the full price for the cable internet, I still pay ~$10 less a month! What the hell was I thinking?!

I want to make the jump NOW! But for those are local to SJ especially close to 95124. Is there anything I should know before I make the move? I am out of DSL contract and Comcast has no contract. Oh another cool thing Comcast told me is that they would upgrade my modem whenever there is a new one out. With DSL, I had to go buy a new one and it DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!

Any advise or sugguestion would be nice before I make the move. Most likely by this afternoon.

SBC DSL!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Car Info: '05 sti
thing to know: cable = atleast 5 times faster than dsl
u'll love it, sometimes though if u gotta gamer on ur block he'll tie up some bandwidth... but no big deal.. u'll still be flyin !
gl
Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Car Info: White 2000 2.5RS-Turbo
Yea COMCAST, as a functional company has been nothing but headaches for me.

However, I live in Santa Clara and get a pretty consistent 10-12kbps download speed... which is pretty ufckin fast. I like it. Comcast is just a beotch to deal with if/when you have to.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by sti4j0n
u'll love it, sometimes though if u gotta gamer on ur block he'll tie up some bandwidth... but no big deal.. u'll still be flyin !
gl
Actually, if you live in a DOCSIS 2.0 area (most of the bay area at this point) the shared BW thing isn't really any issue anymore.

Here in the city, I have a 8 MBit connection. I can sustain 10MBit (1.0 Megabyte per second) transfers, and in the evenings often burst up to 24 or 30 MBit.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I have SBC DSL (Elite- 6Mbits) and it's be great, super reliable. I'm paying $27/month for that because i've always call in when my contract is up and demand the promotion rate

-Gagan
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 AM

I'd say Comcast is the way to go if you can get it for a good price. For me, the service was way expensive compared to doing DirectTV + DSL.

As far as speed goes, I used to get 6Mbps out of digital cable. My current DSL averages 2.8-2.9Mbps, so its slower, but still pretty good.

Both Comcast and DSL have been very solid. I don't recall any interruptions to either service.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 05' WRB STI
Cable >>>>> DSL for my house and pretty much all my friend's and families house. Service for SBC was meh while Comcast has always been a breeze for both TV and the interwebz. I think you see where I come down on the issue
Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Since I test Satelite, I have no reason for cable TV, which is another reason for keeping with SBC DSL.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor

yeah, see, my problem is that i don't have sat and my loop is too far to go above 1.5. 1.5 is my max and it's shtty as hell!!!

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I have SBC DSL (Elite- 6Mbits) and it's be great, super reliable. I'm paying $27/month for that because i've always call in when my contract is up and demand the promotion rate

-Gagan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Since I test Satelite, I have no reason for cable TV, which is another reason for keeping with SBC DSL.
I guess comcast is the way to go! thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 AM

When your $20 Comcast promotion runs out, just call them up and say you're thinking about switching to DSL. Most of the reps are cool and give you the promotional rate again for 6 months. If you get someone that doesn't want to give it to you, call again later. We've been on the promotional rate for quite a long time now.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

haha.. skylar knows the game! Good call! i'll make sure to do that. thanks man!

Originally Posted by MoDrift
When your $20 Comcast promotion runs out, just call them up and say you're thinking about switching to DSL. Most of the reps are cool and give you the promotional rate again for 6 months. If you get someone that doesn't want to give it to you, call again later. We've been on the promotional rate for quite a long time now.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by sti4j0n
gl
COMPLETE BULL****.

comcast is 4x faster than DSL's SLOWEST product. 1.5mbps down 384kb up.

Sonic.net DSL is the best internet you can get for reliability.. customer support.. and more. SBC blows *****... but Sonic.net is much better, although you run off the same lines..

and guess what? does comcast guarantee high speeds? HELL NO.
we all heard it.. the more people on in your area, the slower your shiz goes.. the more people on in your area makes no difference unless you have every house in a territory online downloading, maxing their connections out.. and that never ever happens. I worked at Sonic.net for 2 years, and have never seen anyone call up saying "My connection is running slow" unless something was jacked up. for everyday use.. its the best solution.

and this is straight off the comcast website:

Speed comparisons for downloads only and compare Comcast download speed of 6.0 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps DSL. Many factors affect speeds. Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.
WOW i think Sonic.net offers 6mbps.. wait yes they do.. and guess what?? ITS GUARANTEED!

only thing they can't guarantee is that you will be downloading 6mbps off every site/server because obviously they don't control how fast those servers can upload to you... but ****.. 6mbps guaranteed... vs. comcast 6mbps now guaranteed...

who is actually faster?

and you gotta love how comcast compares their best product to DSL's slowest product.. thats like ferrari coming up and saying our Enzo is faster than Porsche..... then in small writing (comparisons were made with Ferrari's Enzo and Porsche's boxster)

its bull**** marketing.. so that you will think and have it stuck in your head.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
KareBear

Car Info: '07 SWP STi
Get Verizon Fios if u can. Hehe
Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
I honestly liked Pacbell DSL more than Comcast Cable when I had it at my apt. The only reason is because the Comcast seemed to cut out more often and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Pacbell rarely, if at all, lost connection.

This is only my experience though, so you mileage may vary.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by evsoul
COMPLETE BULL****.

comcast is 4x faster than DSL's SLOWEST product. 1.5mbps down 384kb up.

Sonic.net DSL is the best internet you can get for reliability.. customer support.. and more. SBC blows *****... but Sonic.net is much better, although you run off the same lines..

and guess what? does comcast guarantee high speeds? HELL NO.
we all heard it.. the more people on in your area, the slower your shiz goes.. the more people on in your area makes no difference unless you have every house in a territory online downloading, maxing their connections out.. and that never ever happens. I worked at Sonic.net for 2 years, and have never seen anyone call up saying "My connection is running slow" unless something was jacked up. for everyday use.. its the best solution.

and this is straight off the comcast website:

WOW i think Sonic.net offers 6mbps.. wait yes they do.. and guess what?? ITS GUARANTEED!

only thing they can't guarantee is that you will be downloading 6mbps off every site/server because obviously they don't control how fast those servers can upload to you... but ****.. 6mbps guaranteed... vs. comcast 6mbps now guaranteed...

who is actually faster?

and you gotta love how comcast compares their best product to DSL's slowest product.. thats like ferrari coming up and saying our Enzo is faster than Porsche..... then in small writing (comparisons were made with Ferrari's Enzo and Porsche's boxster)

its bull**** marketing.. so that you will think and have it stuck in your head.
Show me where on their site it says 6mbits down guaranteed. I do use dsl, but comcast is faster - and thats all their is to it. Although I would imagine sbc has much better peering than comcast etc, which equals a better web experience.

Quick Reply: DSL vs Cable