Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken noodle soup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs up Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken noodle soup?

Sort of a long shot especially considering that people don't cook anymore like they used to just 50 years ago and figuring that chicken noodle soup is something that takes a great deal of time to make, but was hoping someone(s) had a recipe for some good old fashion chicken noodle soup.

Currently I'm eating my mom's version of chicken noodle soup which is actually my great grandmothers original recipe since it was handed down to my mom when she was a young girl back in Croatia. Once I get the recipe I will share it with those who are interested, but for now I'm looking to see if I can find some variety so that I can have a few different types to choose from. I've never had better chicken noodle than my mom and mother-in-law make (both old school Croatian recipes from like 100+ years ago). The Croatian version is a lot like the American version, only in the Croatian version they use lots and lots of carrots and parsley with very thin soup noodles (short and very thin noodle, sort of like a short and skinnier version of angel hair). Things are done slightly differently but it's the same idea basically.

I'm a big chicken noodle soup fan and would love to try some different ones... Anyone here have any good recipes that they want to share? Chicken noodle soup is sort of like a lost art... Takes way more skill than something like Sushi does in order to make it RIGHT, especially considering how long it takes if you make it from scratch (making your own stock, cooking your own meat, veggies, and all that... If you go crazy you can even make your own noodles like my mom used to do before we came to America! There's a lot of work and prep that go into making this soup... Anyone can make it, but it's a matter of making it RIGHT, that's the key... Same with Sushi. All ingredients have to be perfect and prep+post have to be perfect.)
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
long time ago i made some with a crockpot, added thick soup noodles, a half chicken and some mrs dash. it was okay.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 PM

I want to add something to this thread, and as bad as it sounds and as big of a slap in the face it is to home made soup, I have to say that the best soup I've had that wasn't homemade actually came out of a can... This is the exact soup: (See pic).

(Don't forget the fact that it HAS to be this kind, the homestyle chix noodle, otherwise they all taste like dirty ***)

It's not the ordinary chicken noodle soup that they have sold for 50 years, but it's a "homestyle" soup which means it comes with thinner noodles and more veggies, and the broth is different. For when you're in a rush and want some chicken noodle soup that doesn't suck (all other canned chicken noodle soups SUCK!!! ALL OF THEM! I don't care if it's chunky or not, or who made it, they all suck!). This variety of canned soup is the best of the best... Even then, it's not the GREATEST, just better than than all the others out there, but even still it doesn't come close to home made CN soup.

Remember, it can't be the ordinary Campbell's chicken noodle soup, it has to be the "HOMESTYLE chicken noodle soup", in the small can where you have to add an extra can of water because it's condensed. You can thank me later.

(I add some pepper and tabasco sauce to the above soup and it makes it taste oh so good)
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
you could also try filipino noodle soup... its called "miki"
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2001 Subaru Forester
Here's a filipino recipe for chicken noodle soup called sopas. This stuff is really good.
1/2 pound chicken breast
5 cups chicken stock
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, cubed
1 cup macaroni
2 carrot, cubed
1 can evaporated milk

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil

Put a 1/2 pound chicken breast and broth in a pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken and let cool. Discard the chicken skin and bones. Shred the chicken meat and set aside. Strain the broth and set aside. Clean the pan.

Heat the oil and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté until they are soft. Return the chicken to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

Add the macaroni and simmer until tender/soft(I like it super soft). I add the evaporated milk into each serving bowl with the sopas.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dorifto88
you could also try filipino noodle soup... its called "miki"
Already tried some "Miki", didn't work out well, not at all...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by zamorajoel
Here's a filipino recipe for chicken noodle soup called sopas. This stuff is really good.
1/2 pound chicken breast
5 cups chicken stock
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, cubed
1 cup macaroni
2 carrot, cubed
1 can evaporated milk

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil

Put a 1/2 pound chicken breast and broth in a pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken and let cool. Discard the chicken skin and bones. Shred the chicken meat and set aside. Strain the broth and set aside. Clean the pan.

Heat the oil and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté until they are soft. Return the chicken to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

Add the macaroni and simmer until tender/soft(I like it super soft). I add the evaporated milk into each serving bowl with the sopas.
Weird, adding milk to it? Sounds more of a creme soup than a chicken noodle soup.

also, do you have the recipe for the stock? The most important part of the soup is making the stock and can make a soup from good into bad. Making the stock yourself is a KEY ingredient in the soup... Making your own is the only way to go!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Milk is the way to go with soup!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 03'EyeBug
Milk is the way to go with soup!
Milk does NOT = chicken noodle soup. If you're making creme of chicken, then yes, but NOT with chicken noodle soup.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
The best chicken noodle soup is made with stock made from scratch and a roasted chicken that is so tender that the meat falls off the bones. I don't usually follow a recipe to the letter, but I make mine along the lines of this...

You'll need
1 carcass of a whole, oven-roasted chicken with plenty of useable meat left to pick
1 large carrot, cut into 1/2" coins
1 parsnip, cut as above
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves (1 whole, 2 crushed)
1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup of your favorite short pasta/noodles
1 leek (only the white and very light green part), sliced
1 broccoli stalk, diced
2 tbs olive oil
2 bay leaves
ground white pepper
sea salt

Start out by making your broth. Separate any useable meat from the chicken carcass and set aside.

Put the carcass in a large stock pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Add any scraps you may have on hand from preparing the veggies - carrot ends, onion, leek, parsley stems, bay leaves, one of the garlic cloves, and some sea salt and pepper.

Simmer the stock quietly for 2 hours or more and skim off any foam that rises to the top during that time. Strain the stock; pick any remaining meat off the chicken and discard the rest.

In another large pot, heat up the olive oil and add the carrot, parsnip, onion, leek, and broccoli. Saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until they are barely tender.

Add the 2 crushed garlic cloves and saute for another minute.

Add the chicken stock and the pasta and bring to a boil, then put in the chicken meat and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the pasta is tender.

Add salt & pepper to taste, remove bay leaves, and enjoy!

Last edited by pleiad7; 08-25-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM

^^^ Sounds very similar to the recipe that I followed the last time I made it only we didn't call the chicken a "carcass" and some little things are different (used more garlic, no broc, and some other minor differences). I lie to add celery bits to the soup, it gives it just a bit of a celery flavor which I love and cherish! I <3 celery!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Use my moms recipe for chicken noodle soup. we use a lot more egg noodles.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rau
Use my moms recipe for chicken noodle soup. we use a lot more egg noodles.
I knew I forgot to mention something! Egg noodles! Dude, egg noodles in soup are the best part, how could I forget to mention this vital part of the recipe?! My mom uses thin angel hair egg noodles but I uses a wider spiral egg noodle in my recipe, however, my moms recipe is far better than mine every could have hoped to be so maybe I should stick to the thin noodles too.

I can't wait to get her recipe, you guys gotta try it!

She also makes a beef variant where every ingredient is the same but instead of chicken she uses a beef variant which makes for a light chicken noodle-like soup but is just slightly different... You'd have to try it to understand what Im talking about.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
I have two versions - one where I start with raw chicken and one with a cooked chicken.

Raw chicken -
Wash and dry the chicken. Break it down if you haven't, but no need to de-bone, unless you like.
Salt and pepper liberally.
Pan-sear the parts on med-high heat, maybe 3-5min a side with heated oil. Add 1 large yellow onion chopped. Cook until onion is browned.
Fill a stockpot with water, I roughly do a half gallon to a whole 3lb bird.
Add chicken, add 2 bunches of celery (chopped into less than 1" pieces), and 2-3 large carrots (sliced into coins about a 1/4" thick).
Take about a thumb of ginger root, wash it, slice it, toss it in.
Add a bit less than a teaspoon of rosemary, a teaspoon of celery salt, and a tablespoon of garlic salt.
Bring it all to a boil - then reduce to med-low and let it simmer for 3-6hrs.
While this is going on, chop up two garlic cloves. Brown them in oil, you want them crispy but not burnt. Add it to the soup after the heat is reduced.

Then NEXT day - skim the top of excessive oil/fat. Take out the rosemary and ginger also.
Re-heat, decide if you want to add potatoes or noodles.
Salt/pepper to taste before serving.

The cooked chicken version is similar.
Buy a rotisserie chicken, from like Costco or something. Heat it up, drain the oil. Don't worry too much about drying it out (it's going to be in a pot of water to re-hydrate).
Boil the water, add your veggies (you can leave out the onion).
Reduce the amount of salt/garlic salt/celery salt from the other recipe.
Add the rosemary and ginger.
Follow the directions above from the same point.