Do it your self Grounding Mod ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:34 PM

yes very easy to do and for a lot less than $100!

done it already. i dunno if i really feel any difference
Old 06-22-2003, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I certainly wouldn't use anything thinner than 8 gauge (were I to do it again ). For the record, having Kevin @ Carlsen do some mystical stuff to my ECU with his secret little box smoothed out any issues I had which I tried to solve by grounding.... and that cost me $0

jason
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
i did the grounding mod about a month ago. Got some 4 gauge wire, about 16 feet of it. That cost $8 if i remember and the little connectors were like 8 all together. I only got 6 which is enough for 3 grounding wires. When done i had about 7 or so feet left of wire so you don't need 16, maybe like 12 feet.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:45 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

okay, lemme see what you guys connected?

i did a stereo install this weekend for my STi. i bought about 15 feet of 4 gauge from a welding supply house.

got some copper connectors and a tool to crimp them.

thanks...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:29 AM

ive recently done the grounding mod on my car. no noticeable change, except i dont get shocked as much.

the points were the passenger strut, driver strut, intake manifold, and the original grounding spots.

i used 10 guage wires that my dad had, so it didnt cost me anything.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally posted by kartune
yeah .. i here different results .. however HKS and other creditible vendors invested in a lot of money putting together these kits .. so i have common sense to believe it would only do better for my wrx .. but the most attractive part is .. we can do it ourselves just as many of have .. instead of paying the 200 dollars per kit .. sounds like most of you already completed the installl .. is there any one out there that wants to do this or shall i just complete this solo ..

kartune

When HKS starts investing time, money and research and quality into parts they make for the WRX, I'll start buying them. Their uppipe is mediocre, their downpipe is mediocre, (at best) etc... I'm thoroughly disappointed with HKS since I got my WRX. I used to be a huge HKS fan and wanted to have an HKS-only WRX, just for fun. No way, not anymore.

Unfortunately, we can't rely on label names anymore to mean consistent quality. Maybe in 1950 it was common sense. In 2003, common sense means Caveat Emptor. Especially when it comes to car parts

I do believe for the most part that grounding kits are more hype than performance. I'm not saying it doesn't or never will help. There are dyno comparisons proving that they can and do help. But for the most part, the gain is nowhere near worth the pain to the wallet. $200 for 1 or 2 peak hp? Bah. As far as hesitations go, it seems hit or miss for store bought or homemade grounding kits. A few people have reported it helping. Like I said though, that problem is better solved by going to someone who's really cool at a dealiership... like Kevin Wong @ Carlsen.

I know... you're car is new, you dont have lotsa $$$ and you just wanna do SOMETHING

jason
Old 06-23-2003, 01:30 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

original ground wires are adequate.

what's bad are the ground points. they are screw into painted metal and all there it to make some attempt to scrape off paint is a star washer.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:47 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
I did mine a while back... about $40. from good guys for monster cable and a dist. block.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:26 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
yeah, people have them, but i don't remember one person reporting any gains from it. save your money, and spend it on something that your car will actually benefit from. if you're always spending your money on stupid, cheap, pointless crap, you'll never have enough money to do the cool stuff like bigger turbos, tuning, coilovers, big brake kits...

i did the ground mod, and while it was interesting just to work on the car, it was utterly pointless. i speak from experience.

just because HKS came out with a product doesn't say one damn thing about how much R&D $$ they spent on it. you're paying for a bunch of wires and connectors in a box that says HKS that literally does nothing for the performance of your car. look at HKS' downpipe. that thing is a total piece of crap. it's a steel flange with a hole punched somewhere in it so the gas can get through and a piece of mild steel bent so that it doesn't hit anything under the car. that's it. you couldn't make a cheaper, crappier downpipe if you tried. HKS is a freaking joke. the fact that they put these products on the market proves it. on the other hand they do make a very nice garrett GT turbo kit that look like it makes lots of power, but it is far from affordable.

i don't mean to talk trash about people who have the HKS DP because it works for a lot of people. eliminates the cats, adds power, and it's cheap. all i'm saying is that most people would expect more from a company with the reputation of HKS.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:12 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

one of the import mags dyno'ed a car with that "earthing" setup. got like 5 hp's out of that $100 kit...

for me, the better ground is to prevent shocking and for a cleaner sound, er... NO alternator noise through an aftermarket car audio system...
Old 06-23-2003, 06:55 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
IIRC, a perfectly grounded electrical system is less important to getting rid of electrical noise than routing your speaker wire and power cables properly. how do you have yours set up?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:55 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

you'd be suprised... on my previous daily, i chased down a wacky alternator noise problem forever...

i gave up and cheated. i bought a floating ground loop isolator...

Quick Reply: Do it your self Grounding Mod ..