iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Our customers never get it when I go "Relax, I'm a professional."
Bloody brilliant of you!!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by Nick Koan
I usually don't valet park. And when a place forces me to, I usually don't tip cause I'm bitter they forced me to use valet.

But, all other things considered, when I do actually use valet, I usually do a fiver.
I hate valets. Nothing against them personally but I don't trust just anyone with my car to return it to me with the seat in the spot it was in, the mirrors re-adjusted and no dings on my car.

I know they won't wreck it/be able **** with it (thanks Cobb for that Valet Mode!); but that doesn't stop them from getting a scratch on it or something.

That being said; if I am forced to use valet, I am bitter and feel FORCED to tip someone who I didn't even want in my car in the FIRST place.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
why would you tip someone that just beat the crap out of your car?

they tip low because the car is not worth 80 to 100k
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I don't like to use valet when I'm perfectly capable of parking myself. However, there are some places where you MUST valet. I have no idea what I'm supposed to tip. What is "acceptable"?

Personally I hate tipping and think it's stupid, especially here in America where it's expected we tip for every ****ing thing in existence. This is not against the workers... I believe we should adopt more of a Japan style: no tipping, and pay the worker fairly. That may very well mean higher prices for the customers, but it would then be a known quantity. And it would eliminate the tension between customer and worker/server.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 12 STi
i never valet...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Car Info: fc3s
I work with the same company as VRT MBasile. From what I have seen the valets I worked with don't really mess around with cars. Last 2 jobs I worked with him we were standing outside in freezing weather in Livermore and we had a job this past weekend in Los Gatos where it was raining all night.

I treat all cars as if they were my own, I dont smash on anybodys cars. Especially if it was a suby, we're all suppose to be friends!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I generally tip $5-10 when I valet at a restaurant or whatever. And yes, you should tip right when you give the car to them, not after you get your car back.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 AM

If the valet is not providing a service, why not park it yourself? unless you are a lazy dick.

You tip for your alcohol, but you are to cheap to muster a tip to someone you are entrusting with your 20-30 thousand dollar auto, probably your biggest purchase you've ever made. That sounds pretty wise

You may think my subaru is a piece of crap compared to a lot of cars that are valeted, but imo its not. Because it's faster and will take a **** n 90% of those cars you mentioned, and it cost way less.......

does this mean I shouldn't take care of it???

sounds like the attitude of a spoiled rich person to me.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Here's my thoughts on tipping: If they are entrusted with your food/drink/car, tip them. It's not going to make them that much richer or make you that much poorer if you put down a couple of bucks. However, they will probably be inclined to take better care of you if you aren't a cheap bastard.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I don't valet. Def would not feel comfortable with someone driving my swap that still has stock tranny @ 130K w/ ACT clutch and over 250 at the wheels. Spent too much time, effort and money to chance it on someone else ****in my **** up.

As far as my RS, I would never valet it. For my beater I could care less if I had to valet it, would still tip a couple bucks though.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I will valet the camry, or the forester. I let a valet try to park the 4runner once, he got in, looked at the 3 stick shifts (one transmission 2 transfer cases) and asked me what stick did what. I had him move and I parked it myself.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by alecks
I work with the same company as VRT MBasile. From what I have seen the valets I worked with don't really mess around with cars. Last 2 jobs I worked with him we were standing outside in freezing weather in Livermore and we had a job this past weekend in Los Gatos where it was raining all night.

I treat all cars as if they were my own, I dont smash on anybodys cars. Especially if it was a suby, we're all suppose to be friends!
So how much tip do you reasonably expect?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
I park in the garage at work every day, so no, I dont tip them.

If Im out at a nice restaurant, it will be either a few $1s or a $5. If its raining or something like that, usually more, since they will be getting wet parking my car.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I valet'd my car at the mall yesterday... cost $6. I tipped $2.

Sorry but I'm broke and that's a 33% tip... WAY more than I gave the server we had at BJ's... that chick SUCKED.

Hell the dude in front of me in the brand new benz didn't tip anything. Least I ponied up a couple bucks.

dude I talked to... if you read this... sorry my car was so damn dirty and stinky.

Quick Reply: Do you tip the valet? (poll included)