8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tip the valet? (poll included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by danielliez
I think my car is special because I dropped $25K of MY hard earned money on it, and that is not something I will be able to afford to do again for quite some time. I also depend on it to live my life (school, work, barn etc) so if I don't have it, I'm screwed.

However, compared to other more expensive cars... no, it's not special.
Dropping $25k on it is even more reason to tip than a $10 meal because you're saying "thank you for being responsible with my $25k investment." Ya know?

By special I meant special in relation to other cars.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Like I said back in the days when we actually hung out, returning the seat is really hard without the preprogramed buttons. If I have to move the seat to park it, and I'm not the one to deliver the car, how am I supposed to know where the seat was originally? In automatic cars I only move the seat if I physically cannot fit, manual cars I move the seat more often so that I can use the clutch properly. Moved seat > burned clutch.
Because you are returning the car to ME. I'm clearly short (as I stated in my original post), so you see me and you know that you can at least make some sort of attempt to move the seat forward (even if it won't be perfect).
I would never expect a valet to NOT move my seat, but I do expect them to at least slide it forward a few inches so I can sit in the seat and be able to reach the steering wheel to pull it up the rest of the way.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Dropping $25k on it is even more reason to tip than a $10 meal because you're saying "thank you for being responsible with my $25k investment." Ya know?

By special I meant special in relation to other cars.
Agreed, and yes I knew what you meant... I was just pointing out why some people may be hesitant to let some random person drive their car.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Because you are returning the car to ME. I'm clearly short (as I stated in my original post), so you see me and you know that you can at least make some sort of attempt to move the seat forward (even if it won't be perfect).
I would never expect a valet to NOT move my seat, but I do expect them to at least slide it forward a few inches so I can sit in the seat and be able to reach the steering wheel to pull it up the rest of the way.
Yeah, thats easier to do with electronic seats, rather than the stupid subaru ones. We, or I at least, try to get the hell out of the customer's way so they can get into their car rather than stand there and look at my *** hanging out of their car.

Poll results are about what I expected, although I'd like to know who said $10+! I'll valet any event they attend!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, thats easier to do with electronic seats, rather than the stupid subaru ones. We, or I at least, try to get the hell out of the customer's way so they can get into their car rather than stand there and look at my *** hanging out of their car.

Poll results are about what I expected, although I'd like to know who said $10+! I'll valet any event they attend!
Well, maybe you should show off the goods more for better tips.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM

This leaves me with my *** hanging out of the car. Maybe fun for them, but just kind of ridconkulous and annoying for me
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Koan

Low cut shirts, we want cleavage!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Nick Koan
Worked in Los Gatos the other weekend! My tuxedo and 5 'clock shadow says I'm a clean guy, but the stubble says I'm still strong and rugged. It got me a $10 from a cougar in a Jaguar.

This leaves me with my *** hanging out of the car. Maybe fun for them, but just kind of ridconkulous and annoying for me
Am I the only one that sits in the seat and uses body momentum to move the seat forward?

Low cut shirts, we want cleavage!!!
I think we discussed switching our tuxes to more of a Chip n' Dales tux, by opted against it. We were working in 26* temps the other night.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 12-13-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
More organized valet companies are actually decently responsible in how the valets drive your cars. Sure, they might be a bunch of 18-21 year old guys, but they would get fired on the spot if they took your car for a joy ride or redlined it on the way to park. There is a considerable amount of responsibility for what they do. They allow you to get to your destination while your car is being take care of in a timely manner.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by jic
i never valet..therefore i never need to tip
ditto
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Am I the only one that sits in the seat and uses body momentum to move the seat forward?

I think we discussed switching our tuxes to more of a Chip n' Dales tux, by opted against it. We were working in 26* temps the other night.
I'm seriously like a turtle on it's back when my seat is all the way back. It's bad!

And you guys can switch to chip n' dales tuxes in the summer, it will be perfect when it's hot out. Good tips + not too sweaty.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

I'm seriously like a turtle on it's back when my seat is all the way back. It's bad!

And you guys can switch to chip n' dales tuxes in the summer, it will be perfect when it's hot out. Good tips + not too sweaty.
Bossman also mentioned kilted valets. My kilt + leaning over to move back the seat.... I don't think that'd equate to more tips.

On the subject of chip n' dales though. Whenever I go to the bank right after work to deposit a stack of cash while wearing a tux, I get funny looks.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 04 AW WRX
what company do you valet for?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by splinter
what company do you valet for?
Corinthian, private events and country clubs around the bay area.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 03 Bugeye, D675, Lightning
HAHA... someone should take your keys and set your seat all the way back every night. So when you come out in the morning...

Quick Reply: Do you tip the valet? (poll included)