Do you pay extra on insurance for your mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM

yup state farm rocks

I work for state farm... and if you can prove you have mods on your car with receipts or pics..... they''ll pay out....Thats what a claims rep told me.

Originally Posted by adrian
most insurance company's will play games when it comes to payouts. With State Farm they paid for my after market parts when the car was totaled and it raised the amount of the payout by almost the amount of the parts about 70% of the after market value. I do not pay anymore a year.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally Posted by adizon
Thanks Aaron and Kev!

I'll have to inquire about that! So is it like this: Say the stock value of my car as is with current mileage is $8k then say I have $5k in mods, then say I want to cover $2k in labor. That said I want to cover $15k, then I would ask how much that would cost/year?
yeah, just tell them you have your car and you want insurance for an agreed upon value of 15k.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Lowend
If you want to be insured for aftermarket equipment, than you need to have a specialty policy http://www.hagerty.com/ is the most respected company out there.
One Man Army is wrong; just because an item is bolted to your car, does not mean that it is part of the insured property
That's funny because when my car got GUTTED at BART my insurance company picked up my car with a flat bed, repaired everything and brought it back to me on a flat bed... WITH a better deck than I had in it and all other components either replaced or reinstalled after they hacked my wires and what not up.

Either I didn't write it clearly enough or you didn't read it clearly enough. I did say MY policy though so I think you didn't read.

So for YOUR policy I'm wrong.

That's why I said to ask questions.

As for hagerty... they're great. They do agreed upon values. They send someone out to do an appraisal for your vehicle and you can have it reappraised at any time. Lot of hot rod guys use them... I'll be using them for my caddy when it's done as most of it's value will not be on receipts.

Many companies will do this... it's just a different kind of policy.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by international B
yeah, just tell them you have your car and you want insurance for an agreed upon value of 15k.
Don't they send out an agent to do an appraisal though?

Receipts and photos are a must in any case. Get a binder and keep ALL your receipts. Photograph the part. Photograph it on your car and keep on maintenance records as well.

Trust me... you miss one friggin paper and they can screw you over.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Don't they send out an agent to do an appraisal though?

Receipts and photos are a must in any case. Get a binder and keep ALL your receipts. Photograph the part. Photograph it on your car and keep on maintenance records as well.

Trust me... you miss one friggin paper and they can screw you over.
they can, you you can get it appraised from a private party (farmers)