disaster preparedness - 70 gallons of water

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Diasaster preparedness: 14 days * 5 people = 70 gallons

Um.... how do you store 70 gallons of water?

Assuming it doesn't get a leak from an earthquake, a good 30-40 gallons can come from the water heater. But that still leaves 30-40 more.

So what are you guys doing?
my buddy's neighbor sells the 55gal blue drums and has the tablets as well.

just buy a couple from him and fill 'em up at your house

PM me for more details if you like, he also has everything, like freeze dried food, kerosene, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Roo
From what I've read, the food grade drums, when properly sealed, don't allow for bacteria growth.
i've read this too, but would rather be on the safe side
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Name:  ****.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  12.3 KB
Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Car Info: LGT Wagon
Okay, I'll ask a dumb question about the water bobs. Since we don't know when the next big earthquake is going to hit, how would you know when to fill the water bobs? I can see in places like the gulf coast people have a rough idea when a hurricane is going to hit, but I can't think of a similar threat in CA where there is a warning.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by scottj
Okay, I'll ask a dumb question about the water bobs. Since we don't know when the next big earthquake is going to hit, how would you know when to fill the water bobs? I can see in places like the gulf coast people have a rough idea when a hurricane is going to hit, but I can't think of a similar threat in CA where there is a warning.
I'm thinking that if an earthquake strikes, I will fill them. Hopefully, water/power won't be contaminated/shut down right away. Either way, it is not my primary water supply, and I will not be drinking it straight/untreated from the bob. Just another tool in the box.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
funny i was looking at all this kinda stuff the other day at work we had to do a show about costco.com and this was one things we were told was a top seller online
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t75277&topnav=
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by RU-X
i have a frig full of beer and rockstar.

if that fails.

pee into a bucket, stand a cup up in the middle, put plastic over the bucket, place a rock on the plastic over the cup, and leave in sun.
that works for desalinization too. you can also get something like this if you have natural water nearby: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-...filter/product
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by tecnica tech
funny i was looking at all this kinda stuff the other day at work we had to do a show about costco.com and this was one things we were told was a top seller online
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t75277&topnav=
That is a great deal because it includes shipping. I was looking at that a while back but ruled it out because of the issues listed earlier.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254

After the quake, you turn off water to the building, than fill the bob using the residual water already in buildings' the pipes. I would still filter, but just because some of the water supply is contaminated does not mean all of it is

Last edited by Lowend; 07-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

you can also build a tub like structure in the backyard.

pre-fill the BOB. cycle every 2-3 weeks...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Get a bunch of these...

Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
The other option is to just buy 10 or 20 of the 2.5 gallon arrowhead jugs. Then use these as your main source of drinking water and rotate your stock. We use 1-2 a week in our family, so you don't have any one jug on the shelf for more than 4-6 months, which is not enough time to go bad.

So if you currently filter your drinking water, or drink it from the tap, this would cost you $1 a gallon for drinking water. Who cares, you're talking about spending $110 on a container that you can't move when full, needs floor space rather than shelf space, and have to worry about when to fill, empty, etc... It just removes a lot of the work involved in being prepared to buy the standard 2.5 gallon jugs at the supermarket. If it's not work to be prepared, you will be. All you need to do is find (or make) shelf space for those containers.

If you do go with barrels though, these are a lot more managable to move full than a 55 gallon drum. 15 gallons is something one strong person can actually move when full. A 55 gallon drum needs a dolly.

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/new15galwaba.html

Last edited by Concillian; 07-06-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
What is the ratio? 5 gallons per day per person? Well I've got a 20 gallon capacity kegerator, so that'll supply me with water AND carbs, AND proteins, AND vitamins, AND calories. Have fun with your water ya sissies.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Diasaster preparedness: 14 days * 5 people = 70 gallons

Um.... how do you store 70 gallons of water?

Assuming it doesn't get a leak from an earthquake, a good 30-40 gallons can come from the water heater. But that still leaves 30-40 more.

So what are you guys doing?
Good thing i just changed my water heater from 50 to 75gallon, got 5 to spare

Quick Reply: disaster preparedness - 70 gallons of water