Did you know that traffic laws apply when you are on a bicycle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
i ride downhill singletrack while taking a drink. thats besides the point...

if there are cars behind you, dont reach for your water bottle! ive seen them take it out, drink and put it back all while creating a car train! im like....dude focus on keeping your bars straight and staying to the side.

even when they arent drinking, they cant even stay close to the side

then if they are in a pack of 5 or more, theres always some guy that thinks its ok to ride double wide, so you downshift and rev past them in order to pass before a blind curve comes up, you look back just because and they wave at you like a smart *** or flip you off.

they go downhill at 25 mph, they think they arent holding anyone up.
That's cool. I have the same feelings. I hate when they ride double wide when they know there are cars behind them...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM WLX
I'm a cyclist and obey the traffic laws, sorry to hear you guys having trouble with certain cyclists (especially bike messengers in the city). In Marin County, they are extremely strict with cyclists stopping at intersections.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Daredevil
duh

how would you not know this.

another reason why i get so pissed at bicyclists cause they think they own the ****ing road, and yet hardly any of them obey the law.

p.s. my buddy is into biking and has gotten 3 tickets for speeding. one in a 35 (ya he was on flat ground too) one in a 45 going slightly downhill and i forget the last. i wasn't sure how fast he was going but i remember him coming over and being like "THIS IS BULL****" lol, funny how he can get speeding tickets on his bike. cops were impressed he said.
I'd think if he really can go faster than 45, he should have no trouble losing cops
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
this is really really common in davis.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
its not that i hate that they are in my way or having more fun than me...its because there are numerous counts of vehicular manslaughter by innocent people just driving their car on the mtn (even at the speed limit)

its like...we dont drive fast until the late hours of the night when there is little traffic, and we dont do it in the city streets, so the cyclists should have the same reasoning, although they cant ride at night, but on 20% grade mtn roads with french broom overgrown on blind corners is rediculous
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I got pulled over on my bike one time at night for not having a light on it. Didn't get a ticket or anything I just was like ummmm yeaaaaa..... when the cop told me "you better get a light on there" lol.

I usually do whatever the hell I want when I'm on my bike. I just stay out of peoples way and use common sense which a lot of other people on bikes use sparingly.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I've been stopped by a few cops on my bicycle. I used to ride everywhere all the time. I didn't get my lisense until I was 20.

I tried to outrun one on an open road, downhill but he caught me. I have lost a few in neighborhoods though or on traffic congested streets.

I got stopped going over 60 once on mt. diablo. Lets just say they were not happy.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by darkonion
Hey all.

Did you know that traffic laws apply when you are on a bicycle on public streets? My roomie is jumping up and down because she got a $134 ticket because she ran a stop sign on her bike. Yeah...
Um in Davis right? Nuff said.....
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by darkonion
Hey all.

Did you know that traffic laws apply when you are on a bicycle on public streets? My roomie is jumping up and down because she got a $134 ticket because she ran a stop sign on her bike. Yeah...
Good! I hate damn bikers who think they don't need to follow the rules of the road.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
i paid 190 bucks for a stop sign violation on a bike... i was pissed. the cop also said i was lucky he didn't ticket me for the head phones i was using. I tried to sell him on cingular service while he wrote me up; as to not blow up and open my mouth making the situation worse, haha. yes I'm still upset!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'm pretty sure you have to follow all reasonable laws. I know you must obey stop signs/lights. What I mean my reasonable though, is that you cant get a ticket for not going the speedlimit (although maybe you can if youre going slow in the middle of the lane). Anyways, yeah, ticket is real, you have to stop at stop signs since youre a vehicle, not a pedestrian
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM

I only agree particialy with bikers getting tickets; it's hard to break speed and start again. Well not hard but not worth doing if we don't have too. I agree the common sense should be used.
We still want to see pics of your roomy; tell her to drop her husband if he can't get her a place of her own... just kidding!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
so would this guy get a ticket or arrested for doing sideshow?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=bike+burnout
Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
eh, I could use a similar argument that I dont want to come to a complete stop in my car because it'll make my trip longer and use more gas. Fact is that coming to complete stops on your bike is part of riding a bike. If you dont want to have to stop, find an alternate route or alternate mode of transportation

(On a side note, I am biased against bikes because my road is full of the slow bikers that ride in the middle of the lane around blind corners and then yell at cars for not going 2 mph in anticipation of a biker around every corner)
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MBasile
eh, I could use a similar argument that I dont want to come to a complete stop in my car because it'll make my trip longer and use more gas. Fact is that coming to complete stops on your bike is part of riding a bike. If you dont want to have to stop, find an alternate route or alternate mode of transportation

(On a side note, I am biased against bikes because my road is full of the slow bikers that ride in the middle of the lane around blind corners and then yell at cars for not going 2 mph in anticipation of a biker around every corner)
Because if a car doesn't stop at a stop signs and hits our little white kitten the white little kitten is pretty much dead. If a bike hits the same kitten, the kitten is pretty much dead!
Yea I don't really have an arguement about bike's and cars nto stopping except cars are so much more dangerous... no I am not justifiing running lights with bikes just use your head.