did anyone elses parents get a divorce?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
I too am older and have been through divorce, though mine was a relatively amicable experience. Also we never had children because he has a hereditary bone deformity which we did not want to pass on. Admittedly this made the divorce process easier. My ex-husband and I were together for about 10 years and eventually we just drifted apart.

When we came to the decision that it was time to separate, we phoned our friends and told them that if they took sides we would not talk to them! After the separation we both started volunteering and discovering new hobbies and realised that we had been smothering each other. Getting divorced was the best thing for us. He has since remarried. I may have lost a husband, but I am lucky in that I have gained two really good friends.

wrXtian, all I can say is people get married for many different reasons, they also separate and get divorced for many different reasons. Your Parents' divorce is not your fault. Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by wimprezax06
sorry to hear about that, my parents are still together so i can't really put my self in your shoes. but i have cousins and friend's parent who were divorced. most of them turn out to be fine, but it was a little harsh on my little cousin. stay with friends and stay close with both parents i think is the way.

im really sorry to hear this sigma. at least your dad knows that you have forgived him, he can RIP happily. and im sure your dad wouldn't blame you even you didn't forgive him, parents are more understanding than that.
thanks i totally agree
Old 12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
9 to 5 mod

statisticly
products of a broken home are more likely to get a divorce

they dont have an example to follow
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by BlueBlurr
Thanks! Really appreciated

Personaly I don't believe in counseling. Someone you pay to listen to your troubles, that will tell you what you probably already know deep down.

The age was a bit off..I got married around 27..I'm 42 now.
I know it can be traumatic, at the same time learning from a broken couple will take the same toll. My personal experience.
You end up learning that a "broken" relationship is THE relationship...the kids learn by example, also from bad example.
But IMHO a less than perfect family is still better than no family at all... Plus I can't live without my kids.
Still working on it...I didn't give up just yet...but the temptation is strong.
Communication and a lot of humility is needed to keep relationships strong. Letting egos get the better of one another is disaster, not so much for the couple, but for the kids really.

Talk it out, put yourselves in each others shoes and negotiate. Try to start fresh, clean, with a commitment to your kids, more than likely you'll find new commitment to each other.

Again, usually its ego and selfishness (on both ends) that ruins relationships.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Communication and a lot of humility is needed to keep relationships strong. Letting egos get the better of one another is disaster, not so much for the couple, but for the kids really.

Talk it out, put yourselves in each others shoes and negotiate. Try to start fresh, clean, with a commitment to your kids, more than likely you'll find new commitment to each other.

Again, usually its ego and selfishness (on both ends) that ruins relationships.
good stuff
Old 12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
In the same boat as you OP.. Mom just received the letter from his lawyer this morning. It's been really rocky for my folks this past year, and I sorta knew it would come to this sooner or later. It's really hard to figure out who you should be mad at, and quite frankly... I can't say that I can be mad at anyone. Things just work out this way sometimes, and you just have to roll with the punches. Keep your chin up OP, days will get better sooner or later.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Good luck to you!! My parents didnt get a divorce but maybe if they did they would be here today who knows.. They both committed suicide. If they had gotten divorced i would have been happier cus then more family. Having no family now except pretty much my husbands family gets kind of hard at times.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Gibz
Good luck to you!! My parents didnt get a divorce but maybe if they did they would be here today who knows.. They both committed suicide. If they had gotten divorced i would have been happier cus then more family. Having no family now except pretty much my husbands family gets kind of hard at times.
damn you beat me

thats a bummer sorry for ya
Old 12-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks, can be hard especially this time of year when your used to being with family but if i had a wish would be to have lots in my family. I know having a big family can be a headache at times but seriously having no family is worse.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
9 to 5 mod

Thanks, can be hard especially this time of year when your used to being with family but if i had a wish would be to have lots in my family. I know having a big family can be a headache at times but seriously having no family is worse.
i can vouch

its me and my mom thats it

her whole family is in hawaii so its just us

so i go across teh street to my neighbors and they have 7 and its nuts but soo cheerful makes me and mom look depressing
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM

I am sorry :/ Yeah it gets that way. I see big happy families and makes ya miss it. Then there are the families that fight and i just say to them you may be mad now but when they are gone you cant go back. Give extra love cus you never know when someone leaves this world.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
9 to 5 mod

I am sorry :/ Yeah it gets that way. I see big happy families and makes ya miss it. Then there are the families that fight and i just say to them you may be mad now but when they are gone you cant go back. Give extra love cus you never know when someone leaves this world.
i totally agree so my dad died and then moma got breats cancer so i moved back in to take care of her

i havent moved out because i know you can lose them and the good food haha

but yeah the anti fathers day part with me and two friends that lost thier fathers
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Mine did, twice. I think I coped OK, the first time I was too young to know and the second time I was a freshman in HS.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
my parents divorced when I was young (I think it was official when I was ~10) but my dad was an abusive *******, so the divorce was easy to cope with
Old 12-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
well you said one of your hobbies is drinking in the other thread, so don't let alcohol bring you down...its a life long disease.

I'm sure you have a friends family you are close to. Friends families are better than your own relatives in some cases.

my mom raised me until i was 2 then my "dad" came along and have been happy since, my original dad is a mortitian...scary...like that 6 feet under show. He sent me a letter...when i turned 18 lol go figure. He's also bald, which is scary too.

Quick Reply: did anyone elses parents get a divorce?