Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
did anyone elses parents get a divorce?

and how did you cope?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Mine are not divorced, but i have alot of friends whos parents are. It seems as if it comes as a blessing or hell, and nothing in between. I'm sure that some other people here can speak from personal experience. All I know is that staying close with your friends is one way, another is modding your car!!!

hope this all works out for you
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I was like 4 or 5. I don't have a whole lot of memories of them being married. On the plus side I always got 2 birthdays and 2 Christmases
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I was like 4 or 5. I don't have a whole lot of memories of them being married. On the plus side I always got 2 birthdays and 2 Christmases
ya.. my rents got divorced when i was 5.. two bdays and x-mases is nice.. but still after 12years wish it would have never happened.. i am use to it tho.. u kinda have to.. the court unfortunately stuck me with my mom.. who i dont get along with.. but next summer im movin to my dads house!

but same as above.. use ur friends and modding the car to get through it..things in life happen.. u are gunna have to learn how to cope with this one on ur on.. sorry man, but everyone deals with these things differently!

both my rents got remarried and havent broken up.. hopefully it doesnt happen!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 AM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
my parents aren't divorced, but like above ^ i have had a lot of friends go through the same thing. Obviously i do not know your parent's circumstance but most common is that it has nothing to do with you, so dont feel like it is your fault (ive been told by a lot of friends they feel like it is his/her fault). As mentioned above ^, close friends and keepin yourself occupied are some easy ways to keep your mind off of it. And if you do need someone to talk to your friends and siblings or others who you feel comfortable talking to you would be more than happy to listen. I am sorry to hear about that. Best wishes.

Greg-
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
My mom divorced my father when she found out she was pregnant with me. I was raised by my mom and step dad (I called hime dad). I had to spend every other weekend at my father's house. I never really liked him when I was younger. As I got older, I warmed up to him and we were cool. Holidays and weekends were hard because the court dictated where I was at. Now, My mom is being stupid and left my step dad. I now have about five families. It's crazy.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Car Info: 07 STI
Originally Posted by tanz1983
My mom divorced my father when she found out she was pregnant with me. I was raised by my mom and step dad (I called hime dad). I had to spend every other weekend at my father's house. I never really liked him when I was younger. As I got older, I warmed up to him and we were cool. Holidays and weekends were hard because the court dictated where I was at. Now, My mom is being stupid and left my step dad. I now have about five families. It's crazy.
wow, that sounds pretty chaotic. Definitely try to talk to your friends and such instead of keeping it to yourself.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Finds lots of positive hobbies and focus on your goals. Remember, your parents won't be there all the time when u are on your own. However, if you have family on both sides for support those are great resources for getting through this tough time. Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Sorry to hear man, but my parents got divorced when I was 4 years old so I think I was too young to cope.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I was 5. I think it's one of those things where the older you are, the harder it is. As a 5 year old, it was just Daddy isn't here anymore, we'll do things a little different. Life goes on. You don't have the emotional maturity to really understand it all.

As a teenager or even adult, I think it's much harder to deal with. I'm not sure what kind of advice to give you other than don't take any blame yourself. People change, even your parents. If they don't get along well enough to want to be married anymore, there's not likely anything you can do about it. I would also say try not to take sides.

I wish you well
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I think it really depends how close you are to both your parents. Since if you're closer to one side, it's not as bad since that bond was never really there, however if you were close to both parents, I can't imagine how much harder that would be. My parents divorced pretty late, both siblings were already in college and I was entering my freshman year in high school, it was hard on me mentally, but it was hard to tell from appearance.

It's left a lot of bottled up anger inside, but since then, I've matured a lot and have realized everything happens for a reason. It's been about 7 years now, and I'm still not fully recovered. However, I've been lucky enough to see the reason why I went through this and now I have an advantage over people who haven't gone through this since I can relate to people who have gone through this better. The initial pain, hurt, and emotion will be pretty intense for a while, but it all depends on how you decide to react to this.

I think this quote sums it up pretty good:

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” - Charles Swindoll
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
when i was 5. i think i was too young to need to "cope" but dealt with it later. always had this inner anger at my mom and dad until i got to college, but 20 years later we've talked stuff out.

my father was very lenient on disciplining because he always felt bad for tearing my idea of family apart. i think i still live with some of the crap that comes from being from a broken home emotionally, but there's a TON of people in the same boat. and honestly, who isn't at least a little f-ed up in the head?

i think the key is to talk things out and not let the stuff bottle itself inside. at least write out what you're feeling and then you can get all pissed and hit sh*t. it's kind of fun. (that sounded hella emo, ha)

i got lucky and my dad remarried a great lady and it forced me to grow up because i lived with just my mom for a while. so i gained a great friend, i've got two great moms, and really learned to be independent. my dad and my stepmom have been married for longer than my biological parents were. i know it doesn't work that well for everyone but i think the key is making the best of it. there's worse things that could happen. pygmies could invade your house in your sleep and start pulling off your fingernails one by one while tickling the bottom of your feet and plucking your eyebrows.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Mine were divorced when I was a junior in High School.

At that point, the rest of my family were all emotionally unstable. Sometimes you have to look at the situation and man up and be there for everyone. You can be mad, sad, angry, confused but you have to be in control.

Don't do things that make the situation worse. Help those around you can are having a harder time than you (this can be REALLY testing).

I'm not sure if i'm explaining it right, or the way I want, but just look at things and think what you can do o make it better, and worse. Then choose your path.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
My parents are divorced. It isn't that bad really. I guess I was lucky or something. Just be positive about it. Since you are 25 and probably off on your own, it probably won't affect you as much as if you were younger. I don't think it'll be that bad for you.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
My parents seperated when I was 7 and a couple years later got legally divorced. Since then my dad has remarried. It took a while to get used to it, but growing up my parents only lived about 20 city blocks apart. I rotated between my parents places every other day. It was a little hectic at times, but both my parents tried to maek a normal home for my sister and I. I wonder how it would be different if they were still together, but that's just how life is. I am happy that I have a very good relationship with both my parents and can count on them whenever needed. It is hard man, but you will get through it. Just remember it is their decision and it will probably make them happier in the long run.

Quick Reply: did anyone elses parents get a divorce?