Dibs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I think if a deal has been made, then a deal has been made. If you (the seller) do not want to deal with "dibs" then let people know, otherwise if the agreement is mutual, I think it is only fair to go through with the deal.

I agreed to sell Romel my stockers for $200 on Saturday afternoon, only to have somebody call me later that day offering me $250. Since there was a verbal agreement already, I went through with the deal w/ Romel and I even delivered them

I'm sure if we took back our "dibs" agreements we could make a little more here and there, but in the end, we're a community here. We have to watch out for each other and hook each other up with parts!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
I've never called dibs, If I want the part I'll send a PM hoping nobody else has. Never had a problem with anyone on the site guess I've been lucky
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX + 08 335i + 07 Tahoe Lt3
What I hate is when someone actually calls dibs and you wait like a week for his payment and once that week comes they dont want it anymore! So not only did you not get a sale but you also lose out on potential buyers.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Car Info: '06 Lexus IS
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
dibs are retarded unless you know the person well

90% of the time someone who calls dibs on a certain part will flake

The best is when someone calls dibs on something when a seller doesn't even list a price

I mean comon now, how are you gonna call dibs on something you don't even know the price of?

when I sell someone its whoever has cash in hand first (unless I am selling to a close friend who I know will not flake). I sell enough stuff to realize that dibs are useless.

Good Thread, i've always wanted to discuss this topic

i second that! =P
Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Car Info: wrx
sure, its cool to go with the first interested buyer and proceed with the deal... but if you have another buyer who is offering more, why not negotiate? you can always be fair by going to the first buyer and saying "hey, i was offered more money for the part, but i wanted to see if you could match it". thats pretty damn fair. you give the other person a chance to get the part before you sell it and at the same time, make more money off a part that you know damn well you could get more money for. the asking price is an asking price. its not the price you really want for it. dont lie either and say it aint so.

so for all you suckas who are actually trying to make an argument that dibs arent useless, quit being a softee and admit it.

the fact of the matter is... DIBS ARE USELESS.

good thread! looks like most of us agree. lol

anyone who uses dibs is bound to get flaked on. haha
Old 03-14-2006, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Dibs are like someone calling "Shotgun!" I'll *****-slap 'em when we get to the car and take the front seat.... they can scream shotgun all they want!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
How would you like it if you went to a car dealer. Looking for a good deal on an STi. Agree that you'll be back with the money the dealer has advertised and accepted from you.

Ok, you don't have the cash for a down payment, you say "Hey I'll be right back I'll just go to the ATM and get the cash for the deposit"

Dealer says sure.

Now, you get your money and come back and the dealer is talking to someone else that says "I'll give you $1,000 more than that guy there!"

Now the dealer asks you if you are willing to match this new guys price.....

How do you think you would feel? You got the money in hand that the dealer agreed on for your down payment. The Dealer had even said the car was yours and now he wants to be what equates to as a "Pr!ck" and jack you around.

In commerical sales....this would not fly and you would be pissed, and you would rant and rave, and you would most likely call the Better Business Bureau on the dealership.

Like said above, this is a community, we should be looking out for each other. IF you want a certain price and get what you are asking for, to turn around and have someone offer you more for it and to then screw the first party around makes you a complete *** as a person and an individual selling parts.

To even make it into a bidding contest is BS.

IF YOU AGREE TO A PRICE SUCK IT UP AND STICK TO YOUR AGREEMENT.

Like I said before I use dibs as a means of saying I am getting it, and initiating contact with the seller. If this is wrong I'll just srat calling "MINE" on the items.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by RedStage
How would you like it if you went to a car dealer. Looking for a good deal on an STi. Agree that you'll be back with the money the dealer has advertised and accepted from you.

Ok, you don't have the cash for a down payment, you say "Hey I'll be right back I'll just go to the ATM and get the cash for the deposit"

Dealer says sure.

Now, you get your money and come back and the dealer is talking to someone else that says "I'll give you $1,000 more than that guy there!"

Now the dealer asks you if you are willing to match this new guys price.....

How do you think you would feel? You got the money in hand that the dealer agreed on for your down payment. The Dealer had even said the car was yours and now he wants to be what equates to as a "Pr!ck" and jack you around.

In commerical sales....this would not fly and you would be pissed, and you would rant and rave, and you would most likely call the Better Business Bureau on the dealership.

Like said above, this is a community, we should be looking out for each other. IF you want a certain price and get what you are asking for, to turn around and have someone offer you more for it and to then screw the first party around makes you a complete *** as a person and an individual selling parts.

To even make it into a bidding contest is BS.

IF YOU AGREE TO A PRICE SUCK IT UP AND STICK TO YOUR AGREEMENT.

Like I said before I use dibs as a means of saying I am getting it, and initiating contact with the seller. If this is wrong I'll just srat calling "MINE" on the items.
the dealership doesn't have a binding agreement to sell you that car if a downpayment has not been placed. No cash exchanged = car not sold to you.

You can ***** to the dealer all you want, but a dealer probably hears that "i'll be right back" stuff all the time.

You can complain all you want and be upset, but the dealer does not have to sell to you unless you have put a deposit down or you have a contract with them.

TIA
Old 03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
You know what I am getting at.

And I do beleive that a verbal contract does hold some validity.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Car Info: wrx
Originally Posted by RedStage
You know what I am getting at.

And I do beleive that a verbal contract does hold some validity.
i know what youre getting at, but we aren't talking about ethics here. your opinion sounds more like a rant and rave. plus, this is not a dealership we have here! 02BlackWRX is right... there is no binding agreement and dealerships do that all the time. you know damn well that saying "i'll be right back" doesn't guarantee a sale. no one is screwing anyone. giving the other person a chance to buy the part is fair enough. if another person wants to pay more and you cant afford to match the price, then thats your bad.

you want fair? this is fair... GIVING ANOTHER PERSON THE CHANCE TO BUY IT. not selling the part to the first person who says he will buy it. like i said, there are people who have nothing better to do than hang out on i-club waiting for a good deal. how fair would it be if someone stayed on i-club all day and bought every good deal listed in the very same minute? hilarious...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
i hang out on i-club at work on my 2 jobs, the only time im not on i-club is at school, yeah i dont have anything better to do, and the reason why he isnt selling the coilovers to you has already been said, i offered to paypal him and if he tooked the paypal it would have been sold but instead he said wait until he get back and he'll take the cash when he gets back in town and will save it for me.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by projectwrx
i know what youre getting at, but we aren't talking about ethics here. your opinion sounds more like a rant and rave. plus, this is not a dealership we have here! 02BlackWRX is right... there is no binding agreement and dealerships do that all the time. you know damn well that saying "i'll be right back" doesn't guarantee a sale. no one is screwing anyone. giving the other person a chance to buy the part is fair enough. if another person wants to pay more and you cant afford to match the price, then thats your bad.

you want fair? this is fair... GIVING ANOTHER PERSON THE CHANCE TO BUY IT. not selling the part to the first person who says he will buy it. like i said, there are people who have nothing better to do than hang out on i-club waiting for a good deal. how fair would it be if someone stayed on i-club all day and bought every good deal listed in the very same minute? hilarious...
I just think that you are being a ***** and complaining because, like the saying goes "Money talks", money didn't talk in this instance. So suck it up and quit whining.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Car Info: civic
Originally Posted by projectwrx
here's an interesting thing...

have you noticed how "dibs" seems to be a common thing on i-club these days? lol

some sellers would rather sell the parts to the first people who respond and claim dibs, rather than sell it to someone who will straight up buy it and offer more.

like just recently, there was an instance where my friend was going to pay more for the part over someone who had "dibs" and the seller didnt grab at the chance to make more out of it or have the person with "dibs" match the offer.

now answer this... if you offered a part at $1 for example... and found a buyer who was willing to pay $10 for it. would you still sell it to the person who claimed dibs? or would you sell it to the person who is offering you $10?

dude... its even funnier when the people who claim dibs are always the people who have nothing better to do than be on i-club. lol

thats on the real tip yo! oh snaps!!

are u going to continue calling 'dib's on everyone's forsale thread just to **** with people cuz you're butthurt over the fact that someone bought the coilovers that you missed out on? Kspek didn't "dib" the coilovers, it's already been SOLD to him.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Regardless what others will say, I am going to hold my word and sell it to the person who was first to tell me they will buy whatever I'm selling. I would rather give someone the product for my asking price than to screw them out of the verbal agreement we currently hold. Money only talks when the seller needs it to, and in this case I know in fact that if they person backs out, I won't have too much trouble selling the product to someone else. So why not give that person a chance and trust their word?

Oleg
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Calsoldier
Regardless what others will say, I am going to hold my word and sell it to the person who was first to tell me they will buy whatever I'm selling. I would rather give someone the product for my asking price than to screw them out of the verbal agreement we currently hold. Money only talks when the seller needs it to, and in this case I know in fact that if they person backs out, I won't have too much trouble selling the product to someone else. So why not give that person a chance and trust their word?

Oleg
I agree. I'd do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Dibs