Dibs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by projectwrx
here's an interesting thing...

h
now answer this... if you offered a part at $1 for example... and found a buyer who was willing to pay $10 for it. would you still sell it to the person who claimed dibs? or would you sell it to the person who is offering you $10?

thats on the real tip yo! oh snaps!!
well if the deal has been made, the deal has been made. I've sold items only to find out that someone else is offering more then what I was asking for.
I still went forth and continued with the sale. It's only fair to the buyer. He's paying what was requested.

I've noticed that when people offer more then what someone is asking, it's just a ploy to buy time. 98% of the time, they back out at the last min.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade

Last edited by pj21086; 03-13-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
well if the deal has been made, the deal has been made. I've sold items only to find out that someone else is offering more then what I was asking for.
I still went forth and continued with the sale. It's only fair to the buyer. He's paying what was requested.
That's what I'm talking about. A promise is a promise as they say. And Calisoldier and Soggynoodles are the type of people who I like to deal with. Most times if I find out an honest Joe is getting raked over on something, I will offer more on the part, as I'm not out to screw anyone over.

The people that promise to sell you something, then sell it to someone else for more are jacka55es, and your word means nothing if you welch on the deal.

If you give your word to someone that you will sell it to them...be a man and keep your word. Suck up your loss. If you wanted more money you should do your research.

I agree though that Dibs for the sake of Dibs is BS....I call dibs and full intend to pay and always have.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german

Last edited by soggynoodles; 03-13-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Last edited by pj21086; 03-13-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM

Once an agreement has been made between the seller and buyer, it should be honored....PERIOD (this is on both sides) I've always sold on the order of contact. And they have, for the most part followed through, and so did I, even though I was offered more by others.

Someone on here sold me a car. I had what you guys call "dibs". We met, he wanted to think it over a bit, but told me i'd have first choice to buy it. He honored his word and so did I. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him!

Screwing people over for a few extra $$? I can't really agree with it. And definately wouldn't want to do business with anyone who would back out on a deal like that.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by RedStage
That's what I'm talking about. A promise is a promise as they say. And Calisoldier and Soggynoodles are the type of people who I like to deal with. Most times if I find out an honest Joe is getting raked over on something, I will offer more on the part, as I'm not out to screw anyone over.

The people that promise to sell you something, then sell it to someone else for more are jacka55es, and your word means nothing if you welch on the deal.

If you give your word to someone that you will sell it to them...be a man and keep your word. Suck up your loss. If you wanted more money you should do your research.

I agree though that Dibs for the sake of Dibs is BS....I call dibs and full intend to pay and always have.
Yeah, if a deal is made, then you stay with it. But posting 'dibs' doen't make a deal. I've been burned too many 'dibs' to even care anymore. It's all down to the first person that can reasonably show up with money or at least seem to have intention of it. If somoene PM's me to try and setup payment, they have first shot. Not the punk-*** kid who called dibs 2 minutes after I posted the For Sale thread.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by nKoan
Yeah, if a deal is made, then you stay with it. But posting 'dibs' doen't make a deal. I've been burned too many 'dibs' to even care anymore. It's all down to the first person that can reasonably show up with money or at least seem to have intention of it. If somoene PM's me to try and setup payment, they have first shot. Not the punk-*** kid who called dibs 2 minutes after I posted the For Sale thread.

good point.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Straight as an arrow

Car Info: The Fit is gone!
When I needed a new set of wheels I found a set that would work for a reasonable price and no one else seemed that interested. There was one guy who asked a question but that was basically it. As soon as I said I would buy them , the other guy replied and edited his first post calling dibs on them. The other set I was considering was double the price, but due to the circumstances I had to buy it. Then a couple weeks later I see the buyer selling them because it turns out he didnt need them...
Old 03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Angry

Originally Posted by Akira-R
Once an agreement has been made between the seller and buyer, it should be honored....PERIOD (this is on both sides) I've always sold on the order of contact. And they have, for the most part followed through, and so did I, even though I was offered more by others.

Someone on here sold me a car. I had what you guys call "dibs". We met, he wanted to think it over a bit, but told me i'd have first choice to buy it. He honored his word and so did I. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him!

Screwing people over for a few extra $$? I can't really agree with it. And definately wouldn't want to do business with anyone who would back out on a deal like that.
I had a little problem like this with my sti 1. He was selling an fp green and I agreed to buy it but it was getting taken off the car in a couple of weeks so i agreed to meet him at gruppe-s to pick up the turbo. A couple of days before I was supposed to pick it up, i PM'd him to see what time we should meet up. He told me that he had already sold the turbo to someone else because they had sent him a check for more than the price we agreed on. I was hella pissed, but oh well, there was nothing i could do about it.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
Originally Posted by Akira-R
I agree completely.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by MidniteBlakRex
I guess, I think this thread is for a majority of people who want items but lose out on them. Myself being a prime example. lol.
Was that perhaps for the intercooler? If so come and get it, the "dibs" backed out. Lesson learned on my half... :-/
Old 03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by blue blurr
Was that perhaps for the intercooler? If so come and get it, the "dibs" backed out. Lesson learned on my half... :-/
What did I tell you when u posted that for sale?

HA

owned.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
dibs.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 PM

Car Info: civic
dibs if kspek falls through.

Originally Posted by kspek
dibs.

Quick Reply: Dibs