Dibs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Car Info: wrx
Dibs

here's an interesting thing...

have you noticed how "dibs" seems to be a common thing on i-club these days? lol

some sellers would rather sell the parts to the first people who respond and claim dibs, rather than sell it to someone who will straight up buy it and offer more.

like just recently, there was an instance where my friend was going to pay more for the part over someone who had "dibs" and the seller didnt grab at the chance to make more out of it or have the person with "dibs" match the offer.

now answer this... if you offered a part at $1 for example... and found a buyer who was willing to pay $10 for it. would you still sell it to the person who claimed dibs? or would you sell it to the person who is offering you $10?

dude... its even funnier when the people who claim dibs are always the people who have nothing better to do than be on i-club. lol

thats on the real tip yo! oh snaps!!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
DIBS!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
dibs are retarded unless you know the person well

90% of the time someone who calls dibs on a certain part will flake

The best is when someone calls dibs on something when a seller doesn't even list a price

I mean comon now, how are you gonna call dibs on something you don't even know the price of?

when I sell someone its whoever has cash in hand first (unless I am selling to a close friend who I know will not flake). I sell enough stuff to realize that dibs are useless.

Good Thread, i've always wanted to discuss this topic
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
tirekickers are the kings of dibs calling
Old 03-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP Wrx
Or why do people bother postin for sale threads and the item is "already sold" when you are the second poster in the thread in the same day and same hour. If you knew you could sell it easily why make a post?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by MidniteBlakRex
Or why do people bother postin for sale threads and the item is "already sold" when you are the second poster in the thread in the same day and same hour. If you knew you could sell it easily why make a post?
lol i've sold wheels within 5 minutes before, but without a post I couldn't have done it.

Its kinda hard to sell something without listing it...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP Wrx
I guess, I think this thread is for a majority of people who want items but lose out on them. Myself being a prime example. lol.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by projectwrx
here's an interesting thing...

have you noticed how "dibs" seems to be a common thing on i-club these days? lol

some sellers would rather sell the parts to the first people who respond and claim dibs, rather than sell it to someone who will straight up buy it and offer more.

like just recently, there was an instance where my friend was going to pay more for the part over someone who had "dibs" and the seller didnt grab at the chance to make more out of it or have the person with "dibs" match the offer.

now answer this... if you offered a part at $1 for example... and found a buyer who was willing to pay $10 for it. would you still sell it to the person who claimed dibs? or would you sell it to the person who is offering you $10?

dude... its even funnier when the people who claim dibs are always the people who have nothing better to do than be on i-club. lol

thats on the real tip yo! oh snaps!!
yea i didnt realize this was an iclub thing until my friends who saw me browsing iclub and asked me wtf is up with the dibs??? they questioned why iclubers would rather wait for a buyer who would potentially flake out than to sell it to someone who was ready asap.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
money talks, dibs walks
Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Dibs calling is retarded. It should be first with the money gets the part.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
It is really all up to the seller.

If they are willing to wait for the person that calls dibs to get the money to them...so be it.

If they have good ethics and promise the "dibsers" the part, then turn around and let it go to someone else....that's kinda fooked.

Dibs works out good for me, cause I'm not local to most of the people that are selling parts. But if I call Dibs...I am going to pay. It's just a matter of setting up the logistics of getting the money to the person.

I don't under stand why you are getting upset if the seller wants to do business this way....then it's up to them. Some people sell to get rid of stuff they no longer need. And others sell because they need the money.

Don't feel burnt, just get over it...sooner or later the same thing comes along. It's like buying stuff off of Ebay.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by ucbsti
money talks, dibs walks

SO TRUE! I bought a practically brand new rear differential (R160 w/LSD and Datsun output shafts) for my 1971 510......but here's the catch.....the seller had an auction going for it (with a reserve price), and when I saw the auction there was still like 2 days left on it and the reserve had barely been met......so instead of dealing with the auction, I just emailed the seller and offered him like $75 more than the current auction price + shipping (which was a reasonable offer), and he took it and ended the auction right under all the other bidders noses! LMAO! suckers!

anyways, the moral of the story, Dibs are for people who want the part but cant really afford it "yet", but will "soon".....and if someone is selling something and gets a better offer than whats already on the table, they should jump on it!

-Ted
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by RedStage
It is really all up to the seller.

If they are willing to wait for the person that calls dibs to get the money to them...so be it.

If they have good ethics and promise the "dibsers" the part, then turn around and let it go to someone else....that's kinda fooked.

Dibs works out good for me, cause I'm not local to most of the people that are selling parts. But if I call Dibs...I am going to pay. It's just a matter of setting up the logistics of getting the money to the person.

I don't under stand why you are getting upset if the seller wants to do business this way....then it's up to them. Some people sell to get rid of stuff they no longer need. And others sell because they need the money.

Don't feel burnt, just get over it...sooner or later the same thing comes along. It's like buying stuff off of Ebay.

I think thats why other people have said that if you know the person, then "Dibs" are ok. I have called dibs on parts that I fully intended on buying in the past....but I have always called dibs and had a constant line of communication with the seller so if it fell through, the seller wouldn't get flaked on and could sell to someone else, however, I have always called dibs on parts that I could afford and maybe needed to wait for my paycheck to clear first. So I'll call dibs.....and as soon as I get paid, I pay for the parts I had dibs on....I never leave the seller hanging.

-Ted
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Projectwrx,

I know you're reffering to me about the coilovers, and what you're saying is very understandable. I usually tend to take the person that gives me money first, not dibs. However, the first person to PM me about the coilovers asked me if he should paypal me the money for the coilovers, and have me deliver them when I'm back in the Bay. I told him I'd rather not mess with paypal as he's a trustworthy member here, and asked for him to bring cash when I come back.

If I would have taken your offer, you would have offered to paypal me or pay me when I get back, which is the same thing he did. I can't tell him I won't sell the part anymore simply because someone is outbidding him, this isn't ebay.

If you have any other concerns, just PM me instead of making this public.

Oleg
Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Whoever hands me the cash first wins. Dibs last until I get cash from someone else, unless I really trust the person of course.

I tried to sell a part once, and offered to throw in a free stock part I didn't need anymore to sweeten the deal, and some dude called dibs on the free part but didn't want to buy the part I was actually selling :rotfl:

Quick Reply: Dibs