Detailing: Fresh Paint Care

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Your welcome Dan,

As for application order, it really depends on the products at hand you are using. If the product was made for single application to go on first before wax, then that is how the chemical is engineered to work(should say on the label). If it is of a combo mixture, then use as directed.

Basically, each product is formulated to work and be applied in a certain way and order, it all depends on what you are using.

Im more of a traditional method guy so I apply the products separently and do not use many or any combo mixture chemicals because I always believe having the substance individually should deliver a stronger and longer lasting effect, basically being more pure. It also requires more time for application steps and not everyone has the time nor the detailed preferences.

That is why combo mixture products were made, to reduce the application time and return a great result. Chemicals these days are considered break throughs compared to those days with "rocks in a bottle", quality has dramatically increased and new methods are just as great. I trust CG to be a brand that delivers nicely, also they are in ca if Im not mistaken. Their jetseal 109 sealant has been tested to last quite longer than the competition brands for direct apply products.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
I just had my car painted too. I was told direct.. Do NOT wash for 30 days and wax for 90.
I brought my car to them because they do kick *** paint work. So its like the tune in your car. If the guy doing the work says.. @#$%^& Then follow it. He knows your set up like no one else. He made it..
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 AM
banned

Originally Posted by snowflow
and what soap is safe to use when washing?
Dawn hand/dish washing soap is what my buddies use at the paint shop. Its also what I use on all my bikes and cars.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by old.guy
Dawn hand/dish washing soap is what my buddies use at the paint shop. Its also what I use on all my bikes and cars.
Dawn is really good, but it will take any wax off.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM

Dawn will take off all layers of protection since it is a very strong degreaser. I personally would not advise using Dawn or any type of dish soap at all. Dawns website even states that it should not be used on automobiles. Using it often can alter and cause your paint to lose its gloss.

Always use the proper solutions.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
banned

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Dawn will take off all layers of protection since it is a very strong degreaser. I personally would not advise using Dawn or any type of dish soap at all. Dawns website even states that it should not be used on automobiles. Using it often can alter and cause your paint to lose its gloss.

Always use the proper solutions.
Its super soft on newer paint. Which my buddy uses. Hes been painting for 30 years. My car gets rewaxed after its washed anyways.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Its super soft on newer paint. Which my buddy uses. Hes been painting for 30 years. My car gets rewaxed after its washed anyways.
Cleaning care for body shop prep and paint are different methods then that of maintaining the paint for the life of the vehicle.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Car Info: WRX
Ya, I wasn't planning on using any dawn anyway. I was waiting till I get to so cal and i'll load up on chemical guy stuff down there.

But until then, for instance now, I have to drive an hour through the valley and there are tons of bugs. I want to be able to clean those off asap on the spot. What would you recommend for spot cleaning like if a bug splatted or a bird pooped on it?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

^ How many days has it been since your car left the paint shop now? Start from the least aggressive method. I would spray the spot with detailing spray first and wipe off with a soft towel (never dry wipe, always have some type of lubricant between the paint surface and your applicator).

If that is not strong enough, try some bug and tar remover (such as stoners tarminator) and rub gently. Once that, spray treated area with detailing spray again to wash most of the previous chemical off, you do not want it sitting and drying on there.

In the future, Im sure you will find this bug sponge very useful for your car washes, just something to keep in mind when you start buying gear .

Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
^ How many days has it been since your car left the paint shop now? Start from the least aggressive method. I would spray the spot with detailing spray first and wipe off with a soft towel (never dry wipe, always have some type of lubricant between the paint surface and your applicator).

If that is not strong enough, try some bug and tar remover (such as stoners tarminator) and rub gently. Once that, spray treated area with detailing spray again to wash most of the previous chemical off, you do not want it sitting and drying on there.

In the future, Im sure you will find this bug sponge very useful for your car washes, just something to keep in mind when you start buying gear .

Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water.
That's what I figured but I couldn't find anywhere online that said that detail spray was safe.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
banned

What about covering the front with painters tape. I do not think it will hurt the paint under it. And it will protect the finish from bugs and rock chips.

That stuff pulls right up too.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM

What about covering the front with painters tape. I do not think it will hurt the paint under it. And it will protect the finish from bugs and rock chips.

That stuff pulls right up too.
Ya, i'm going to be doing this for when I drive to LA, but thought it was a lot of work for driving one hour only.

Maybe i'll do it. Time to go buy more tape.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Might have to look into some 3m clear bra.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
clear bra is going to be as much as it cost to paint it.

if you maintain your car adequately, cleaning it should be pretty easy.

i use adam's apc for any road grime/bugs. just remember you'll need to rewax wherever you use the apc (i dilute mine down a bit).

fyi; CA law made painters change automotive paints from oil based to water based. this might be part of why people say to wait and others say it doesn't matter.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Ya, I looked it up and it is pretty pricey. Damn.

Quick Reply: Detailing: Fresh Paint Care