Deploying to Iraq tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by sleepy22
FullSpectrum:

Thanks and keep safe out there. You're some tough SOB

If someone is going to have brain cancer surgery, there is a large % they can die. Are you going to say "You have an 80% chance of dying" or "Good luck?"

That's why you sound insensitive with your statement.
Nope, I'm gonna say my condolences that you are having dangerous surgery, same way I'm offering my condondolences that his man will be in danger in his job.

I fail to see how its insensitive to wish for someone's safety.

Paul - my jacket is the Puma one:

See you there and we can talk about it if you want, but going straight for 'you're silly' probably wont invite much intelligent, thoughtful discussion.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 PM

Car Info: WREX
Condolences is used as an expression or declaration of sympathy towards a person or group.

I know why the statment was taken out of context.....Most people only hear "My Condolences" when they find out someone has passed on (died).

However, just like when referring to intelligence - It is all relative....
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by mcowger
See you there and we can talk about it if you want, but going straight for 'you're silly' probably wont invite much intelligent, thoughtful discussion.
As I'm an idiot, you'll never get intelligent conversation out of me!!

I do, however, appologize for my silliness...it was uncalled for.
Can I give you a "make up" hug @ Mt Hammy?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX STI
I-club Community, Thank You!

Well everyone, I'm here in Baltimore, Maryland waiting to leave at 2 a.m. I greatly appreciate every single person's post, and so I thank all of you. All of your support provides me everything I need to feel at ease. I really needed that.
Alright now, I'll see everyone when I get back. Hopefully, I still can post when I get to Iraq! Haha! Find peace my brothers!

- Mark
Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Originally Posted by unstble
Condolences is used as an expression or declaration of sympathy towards a person or group.

I know why the statment was taken out of context.....Most people only hear "My Condolences" when they find out someone has passed on (died).

However, just like when referring to intelligence - It is all relative....
Actually if someone lost a ball from testicular cancer you can give condolences, or their car gets in an accident. Here's the definition in context:

Main Entry: con•do•lence
Pronunciation: k&n-'dO-l&n(t)s also 'kän-d&-
Function: noun
1 : sympathy with another in sorrow
2 : an expression of sympathy
synonym see PITY

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/pity
http://www.webster.com/dictionary/sympathy

I personally didn't read any sorrow or regret in his tone for serving his country and protecting us whether or not he may or may not agree with our current regime in office, especially with the smilie as the post title. I also didn't read your statement as sympathizing with him as I'm willing to bet you haven't served so you could not possibly share the feelings. Was it that you were trying to convey pity? Either way it wasn't a very proper statement.

former RM1(SS/DV)
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Mark:

As I've been in your situation, if you need anything...well almost anything...all you gotta do is ask.
Keep us posted of your adventures, stay safe and remember:

When in doubt, JDAM it out!!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
I think I was very clear in my explanation. He's gonna get shot at. Whether that's part of his job or not, whether he agrees with the 'current regime' or whether I have served is utterly irrelevant. Let me say it again: "He's going to get shot at". That sucks however you slice it. He therefore has my sympathy in this endeavour.

Ultimately, everyone's *****ing about my offering this man my sympathies is off base anyways. It was intended well, and Mark took it well, so basically all of you should **** off.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
thank you for fighting for our freedom and lives
Old 06-22-2006, 02:21 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Unhappy

Mark, youre one tough SOB. a lot of us will sit here and talk about what we'd do and who we'd shoot if we went over there. most of us are all talk. not you. good luck out there brother. im asking the lord and praying for you to come home safe. we'll be here waiting for you when you get back.

Last edited by rau; 06-22-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:26 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by mcowger
everyone's *****ing about my offering this man my sympathies is off base anyways. It was intended well, and Mark took it well, so basically all of you should **** off.
+1 to mcowger, let it go. i thought the thread was intended to wish one of our own safety in the difficult situation he is about to endure. we should use this space to wish him well, pray for the man. not bicker back and forth about what was said and by who. obviously, an explanation was given. Mark didnt get pissed off, so obviously he UNDERSTOOD. so if Mark didnt say anything about it, what gives you the right to? why go back and forth over it? its just wasted energy.

if you come to this thread, i ask that you wish the man well. pray for his safety there, and for a quick, safe return. no more, no less. definitely no bickering

Last edited by rau; 06-22-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
... boobies

Last edited by sleepy22; 06-22-2006 at 09:34 AM. Reason: removed
Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Originally Posted by AdamBOMB_STi
You sound like one of those POS pesismistic liberalist that "need to get shot at".

bwahahahahahahahaahahahahahah:rotfl:
Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
obviously mcowger doesnt know I'm in the military either.... LOL

Last edited by AdamBOMB_STi; 06-22-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX STI
Smile Kuwait, Camp Buering 2006

Well everyone, today I'm in Kuwait, currently posted at Camp Buering. My team is here to get some further training that the army wanted to provide us. HMVVV Roleovers and IED (improvise explosive device). I'm in the Air Force, Security Forces (military police). And as of right now, were gonna be taking some of the Army mission here in kuwait/iraq. Conducting Convoys & Law & Order. Haven't been shot at yet. Just a little anxious to be in Iraq already. It's freakin 130 degrees hot out here! My gawd, it's HOT!!

Today, I went to "zero" my weapon, because for some reason the Armory at my base packaged the wrong weapon. So my weapons is still not cited in. So that kind of pissed me off. Well hopefully, I can go to the range again, and try to zero my weapon once again. Well guys, here is the beggining of my journey to Iraq! Talk to you later.

And one last thing:

Thanks for backing me of the minor drama that happen is this thread. It wasn't to much of a big deal. Appreciate it tho! Come on now!? I'm in the military, it takes more than what "he said". Anyway, talk to you all later! Peace!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Glad to hear you made it safe to Kuwait.
Got a couple of friends currently serving in Iraq.
They all say yes it is dangerous, but they do feel 'secure' where they are at.

If anything should happen....please have someone let us know. I'd like to think that those of us here on i-club would try and do something for you and your family.

Hope that doesn't come as too pesimistic. Just want to make sure that if there is something that we can constructively do as a group to help...that we do.

Quick Reply: Deploying to Iraq tonight!