Dealer trying to charge an arm and a leg, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by tonuprocker
there is only one brand of aftermarket struts available for the 05 sti,and they are ohlins priced around 2300 so no he cannot get aftermarket struts cheap.

at this point there are 4 budget options.

1st,rebuild/regrease the strut LIC does this,and if your handy you can do it yourself the clunking will come back eventually and you'll have to do it again,alot of people just live with this process.

2nd, if the strut is trashed you can find sti take off struts relativly cheap and just replace your clunker.

3rd and best so far the TIC "not bangen rear end" tokico offers thier d-spec strut for the wrx in sets of 4 only, TIC was able to get them to sell rear pairs wich fit the sti and then they add thier adaptors to them.

http://www.turninconcepts.com/produc...oducts_id=1036

number 4: cheap coiloivers if he can deal with the ride,the noise etc then thier you go.

Wait, what? There is only ONE available option for struts for the STi? How is that possible? How can there only be one option? No other aftermarket company makes struts for the STi? That seems so implausable to me... How do you know this?

Even getting a set of megan racing coilovers would be a much better value then getting ONE strut for $800.

I'm hoping someone out there upgraded their suspension and could sell it to me via my bro. Someone has to have some... I'm going to call around to some shops and see if they have them or if they can get them off a junked car or something.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
you can always pick up the coilovers for a decent price
Apexi N1 ExV Coilovers: 05-07 STI are only 1099
I have also seen stock sti struts for around 100 bucks so keep an eye out
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
X2

Worst case, a 2005 STI suspension, including struts, for $250
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
yes you read that correct and its common knowledge im well involved with strut solutions because im a sti owner with klunk. and you can read countless threads about it on iwsti,nasioc etc., because of the design of the sti strut and the production numbers of them being so low companys that normally offer aftermarket struts like koni or billstien etc have ignored the market the only readily available strut is the ohlins. prodrive did have the richard burns kit available for a minute with a strut they contracted bilstien to make for them but its like hens teeth to get that and more expensive than the ohlins.

just put a wanted ad in clasifieds here,i picked up a full set of good condition take offs for cheap.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:15 PM

God damn, a little grease and the problem has been fixed! I can't believe the sort of crap the dealer tries to pull... They told him not just ONE strut was going out, but TWO! One of the struts made no noise at all and looked perfect to me. Those rip off bastards.

I am hereby boycotting all dealers for any kind of work minus parts, since OE parts rock and there are some really cool parts guys.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
I am hereby boycotting all dealers for any kind of work minus parts, since OE parts rock and there are some really cool parts guys.
Amen. Was there once, and that is all it took, they will never see my face again. Service was horrible, the diagnosis cost more money than the problem was to fix somewhere else, and their prices are through the roooof!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 PM

well, I should correct myself and say that I've been boycotting them since about 2000, the only dealer I would trust was Santa Cruz, and it's because I had a 100k warranty which came in handy when I needed a new motor. They were pretty mod friendly back then, shame that has all changed with Subaru (Not the fault of Santa Cruz, Subaru just tightened the belt).

I had never gone to the dealer before then, even got my car online which came from Irvine Subaru, but I never had to deal with it, the car was delivered to my house on a flat bed with 7 miles or so, fully detailed on the spot, and for 1400 under invoice. How, you ask? There used to be this great website called "www.carorder.com where they would use advertising to lower the cost of your car, so instead of paying for advertising, they relied on word of mouth (which spread like wild fire), so I got the best deal ever.

Anyway, after I joined i-club I heard horror stories even back in 2000, so I went to check out a local dealer and the guy wanted to fight me, and quoted me $2000 OVER MSRP. I told him to f' off and never trusted a dealer again (there have been other situations when I took my friends to the dealer to get cars, and man, just horrible things you couldn't imagine.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
i have the same clunking problem in my rear struts LoL
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
if he plans on keeping the car just replace the struts all 4
struts should be replaced in pairs to keep that car balanced
a strut with 25k on it will be looser then the new one unless you can find a used on with the same mileage
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Read about 3 posts up, my reply...
Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Well if he still needs a spare set, I've been trying to sell a set of 05's for a whopping $100: https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/fs-05-sti-oem-struts-springs-202232/
Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 PM

hahah, good to know plead7!