Dan Wheldon died at Las Vegas Speedway in a 15 car crash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Very sad.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by psoper
Ummm, I always thought that "Indy cars" are named after the Indianapolis motor speedway, a track that is... at least more or less-oval.

Now whether or not they should have started 34 cars on a 2.5 mile tri-oval, that might be a subject for further discussion, but I hardly think you could call a series "indy car" if it didn't run on oval tracks for a good portion of the series...
Hulman and Co. owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and "INDYCAR"

Izod used to be ALL oval.

I just don't see the point of overloading a track with insanely fast cars that NEED air to stay on the ground. It is designed for exactly what happened... crashes. Crashes mean ratings. If there is an increase of danger there will be an increase of viewers. You put that many cars on an inclined oval and it's only a matter of time before one looses air... looses traction... then boom. Huge accidents.

The organizers should be held accountable for their decisions.

I guess saying no place on ovals was a bit extreme but it just irritates me. We need more NON oval tracks in this country. I'd love to see all of the open wheeled Indy/cart series go to primarily non oval courses with the occasional oval. The fun of watching indycar for me is the turns, the speed, the passing.

With ovals I'm just not interested as much. I had actually flipped off the race over to the game when the accident happened. It's like the passing regulations they put in. On one hand they are trying to make it safer and in turn they make it boring. Then they do this. I knew before I even turned it on that there was gonna be at least one major accident. They're lucky 2 or 3 people didn't have MASSIVE life threatening injuries. There were 3/4 cars in that accident that could have had drivers killed.

So yeah.. sorry for the over reaction. It was just this particular situation that frustrates me.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I get what you're sayin' Ray, which is why I mentioned the 34 car field, what's more it seems there were a half-dozen or so rookies allowed to run in this final race- which given the track's safety record just seems ludicrous to me when you have almost 30 season regulars already entered...

The season ender only had a few teams left in contention for top honors- so I guess more entries equals more revenue and more "excitement", but the line needs to be drawn somewhere and I agree with you that the race officials blew this one.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by psoper
I get what you're sayin' Ray, which is why I mentioned the 34 car field, what's more it seems there were a half-dozen or so rookies allowed to run in this final race- which given the track's safety record just seems ludicrous to me when you have almost 30 season regulars already entered...

The season ender only had a few teams left in contention for top honors- so I guess more entries equals more revenue and more "excitement", but the line needs to be drawn somewhere and I agree with you that the race officials blew this one.
Yeah. It's pretty silly. It's the kind of thing you see at Outlaw races. They overload the track so there is a higher chance or larger wrecks. Then you end up having your superstars get caught up in the messes caused.

I'm bummed about Dan really. The dude seemed like a real class act.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Car Info: Fast
RIP

If you read some of the articles, a lot of the press on this race was created by the series organizer to increase viewing. They were offering 5 mil to win, and he told the board that he would resign if he did not pull at least a .8 rating.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by aboothman
RIP

If you read some of the articles, a lot of the press on this race was created by the series organizer to increase viewing. They were offering 5 mil to win, and he told the board that he would resign if he did not pull at least a .8 rating.
Based on the fact that it was Go Daddy putting up the 5 Million had he won and they are losing Danica Patrick to NASCAR this upcoming season it seems fairly likely that Dan Wheldon was about to take her spot on that team since he didn't have a Sponsor for most of the races this year which is why he was being a commentator / announcer for a lot of the races this year.

Dan Wheldon – 5 Million Reasons To Race; Just One Goal | Catchfence

"Wheldon must start the Las Vegas Indy 300 in the last row and then go on to win the race to collect the $5 million prize."

He was forced to start in Last Place and move all the way up to 1st place in order to win this challenge which means that he was not able to drive in the Qualifiers which could have moved him up in the pack to a higher starting position. Had he not started in the back of the pack it's possible the outcome could have been very different for him.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Based on the fact that it was Go Daddy putting up the 5 Million had he won and they are losing Danica Patrick to NASCAR this upcoming season it seems fairly likely that Dan Wheldon was about to take her spot on that team since he didn't have a Sponsor for most of the races this year which is why he was being a commentator / announcer for a lot of the races this year.

Dan Wheldon – 5 Million Reasons To Race; Just One Goal | Catchfence

"Wheldon must start the Las Vegas Indy 300 in the last row and then go on to win the race to collect the $5 million prize."

He was forced to start in Last Place and move all the way up to 1st place in order to win this challenge which means that he was not able to drive in the Qualifiers which could have moved him up in the pack to a higher starting position. Had he not started in the back of the pack it's possible the outcome could have been very different for him.
Interesting.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Did Dan Wheldon have to die? - Motor News | FOX Sports on MSN

"The race was always going to be too fast, too packed together at three-wide, and too crowded with 34 cars. The drivers were complaining about it beforehand.

This race had been turned into a carnival to try to save a sport. Indy racing is losing Danica Patrick to NASCAR. And IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard had said that if ratings didn't go up from this championship race, didn't beat last year's minuscule TV ratings, then he would hand in his resignation.

So he offered up a $5 million winner's prize to any driver who wasn't an Indy racer. It was a challenge to prove the talent level of Indy drivers. Five non-Indy drivers could enter.

Imagine that: Cars would be going 225 mph, side by side, packed together, and an X-Games athlete, Travis Pastrana, who has NASCAR aspirations, was going to try. He hurt his leg beforehand.

That turned out to be the luckiest day of his life.

This isn't the "Price is Right," where you can just call someone down to participate.

They couldn't get NASCAR drivers to give it a shot, partly because they knew this race was a death trap. Even top Indy racers were worried about conditions and speeds they felt were just too dangerous.

"Within five laps, people started to do crazy stuff," driver Dario Franchitti told reporters just after the accident, before Wheldon was pronounced dead. "I wanted no part of it. I love hard racing, but that, to me, is not what it's about.

"I said before: This is not a suitable track. You can't get away from anybody. One small mistake, and you have a massive wreck."
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
General Pimpin'

I'd have to say that there will be some jobs lost in this mess for sure.

I didn't realize that they had extended it to non indy drivers like Travis. That dude is stupid enough to try anything and do well at it. But Indy cars are not to be messed with. Probably a good thing he destroyed his leg at xgames.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Dan was prettymuch brain dead at the track, they kept his body alive at the hospital. The upcoming Indycar redesign would have literally been a lifesaver in a large wreck like this.

Will Power was the other car that got MAJOR airborne, he just managed to have an easier (as-if!) landing. His in car footage from the crash is nuts.

Seems like a bunch of compromises were made for this race, in order to make it look good for TV/advertisers, and someone paid the ultimate price.