Daly City cop(rookie) pulled me over for prodrive wrsport exhaust(axelback only)??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by horsecut54
Haters got to hate. The officer was not doing his job. It is their ignorance of the law that makes them bastards.

First off. Axel backs ARE NOT ILLEGAL! You have the right to put whatever you want on as long as they do not break the 95 DBa law in California.

Here one Ca Vehicle code:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27150_2.htm

Another: (ca veh. code 27200 establishes 95 DBA @ 50 feet!
http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/code...00/27200-27207

So for all you people saying the cop is doing his job, blow me! Right after this I have to complete a defense to a speeding ticket I got, the cop said I had made it to 75 mph in 404 FEET!!! Less than an 1/8 mile. so the cop is lying!!!! Cops lie thats in their job description.

Good luck BRUVA!

Actually your wrong. Read the laws. it is illegal to modify ANY PORTION OF THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM PERIOD.

Read the CVC. Trust me I know.

PS: I HAVE A DAD, SO IM NOT THE SO CALLED BASTARD YOU THINK OF.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by flatline
Actually your wrong. Read the laws. it is illegal to modify ANY PORTION OF THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM PERIOD.

So as a cop and member of the I-club community, what do we say when we get pulled over for exhaust to try and get out of a ticket?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM

You sure it was DC cops and not the Colma cops? Like others said, could barely make out what you're typing. You say DC but u also say you got pulled over near Lucky Chances. Colma cops are worse, they will follow you and ticket you for anything.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySon
One of them supersedes the other. Got to find out which one.
subsection B (95 dB) supercedes subsection A (illegal muffler) of cvc 27151
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by flatline

PS: I HAVE A DAD, SO IM NOT THE SO CALLED BASTARD YOU THINK OF.
Dude do you think the punk kid is going to believe you or learn? He is a snot nosed 17 year old **** with a STI. No one is going to be able to tell him dick.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
So as a cop and member of the I-club community, what do we say when we get pulled over for exhaust to try and get out of a ticket?
IDK, why dont you enlighten us?

How is it modifying the exhaust if its an option from Subaru?

Also, that is why I kept my stock exhaust, JUST IN CASE.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM

subsection B (95 dB) supercedes subsection A (illegal muffler) of cvc 27151
Wait, so dB's (sound, or how loud) supersedes the illegal muffer, so anything after the legal Subaru cat is legal AS LONG as its under 95 decibals, cool.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by pete
CARB is only from the airfilter to the catalytic convertor (and everything inbetween), everything else is Vehicle Code.
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
exhaust isn't a carb issue. the two laws commonly used are noise and the overall generic any exhaust change is illegal. That one is tough to hold up in court because there's nothing really stopping you from making a choice after your stock exhaust is DAMAGED and needs to be replaced.

But it's enough to send you to the Ref if the officer decides so it's a risk you take. Same with the noise violation.

So a lot of it depends on what codes they're using.
i see. thanks for the verification. guess the state ref guy gave me some bad information.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
With all due respect towards the LEOs on here, you can have an aftermarket CBE or ABE as long as it meets the noise requirement.
It is very wrong to say "all non OEM mufflers are illegal."
Case in point: Meinekie Muffler.

BTW, the dB limit also applies to motorbikes, but no referee station has the proper equipment to measure any motorbike's exhaust.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Its like how many times do people have to repeat the same idea?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM

IDK, why dont you enlighten us?

Also, that is why I kept my stock exhaust, JUST IN CASE.
You misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not a cop. Flatline is and I was asking him.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Wait, so dB's (sound, or how loud) supersedes the illegal muffer, so anything after the legal Subaru cat is legal AS LONG as its under 95 decibals, cool.

basically the vehicle code was written saying that it's illegal to modify the exhaust or essentially change the stock muffler (subsection A of CVC 27151). After complaints and some lobbying, subsection B was added, saying so long as the emitted noise does not exceed 95dB then it is ok. What Flatline and some others have said, is that it's illegal period, even if the emitted noise of the aftermarket part is less than 95dB. This is where the 2 sides agree to disagree.

For old cars, OEM exhausts rust and have holes in them, making the emitted noise louder than normal. This is where the aftermarket muffler would replace, to essentially have the noise emitted as it was before. So for the LEOs to say it's illegal to replace or modify the muffler/exhaust parts (for a catback and axleback, not talking about the downpipe) shouldn't be correct. I guess the gray area is having a functioning muffler replaced with an aftermarket one that's louder (even if it meets the 95dB limit) is where the 2 sides are arguing about.

Last edited by TurnWRX; 12-04-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Car Info: .
Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Personally I don't give many tickets. I have better thongs to do like recover ak47's and ounces of crack.

Best advice is don't argue and be courteous. If you want to explain that's one thing. Just don't argue it will get you nowhere.

Some cops have nothing better to do than give ickets. Some cops (motors aka motorcycle units) that is their sole purpose
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Once again, since when was a Prodrive axle-back a Subaru option?

Quick Reply: Daly City cop(rookie) pulled me over for prodrive wrsport exhaust(axelback only)??