Daly City cop(rookie) pulled me over for prodrive wrsport exhaust(axelback only)??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS 1999
sucks dude, I got the same ticket in san jose. I'm still in the process of fighting it.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
damn how much was the ticket
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Car Info: '06 SGM WRX / 18G (300/291) RIP, '05 TB Evo VIII
Originally Posted by Overbear
1) Paragraphs learn what they are
2) You broke the law, he was doing his job
3) Let me stress this again, you type like a retarded 3 year old monkey on crack. If you want people to take you serious, format your posts into proper English and spell check.

That said, we all know that axle back exhaust is a gray area, however going strictly by the letter of the law, he was right to ticket you. It is bogus, I agree with you 100% on that, but... That does not give you the right to imply the officer was "fake" or "not doing his job" when in fact that is exactly what he was doing.
You sir, are incorrect. AND OVERBEARING
1) It's a Subaru forum, leave your grammar bashing in the classroom or professional setting
2) OP didn't break the law (assuming this is an under 95dBA exhaust)
3) How are we to take you seriously when you say OP types like a retarded 3 year old monkey on crack?

California Vehicle Code 27151 says that,
"For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, complies with this section"
The code also goes on to say that you must comply with CVC 27150, which has to do with cut-outs, bypasses and such.
I was pulled over for my Greddy Evo2 (an under 95dBA exhaust), and cited for breaking CVC 27151 because it's big and shinny (now flat black). You can beat this, it will just take time.
You need to; go before the judge and state your case, get sent to a smog ref to have your vehicle checked out. If you have only done what you have said you have done you will be in the clear and citation dropped, like me
If you don't have the time, then obviously paying the $1xx might be your only option. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Best of luck.

It's not that the cop wasn't doing his job, he just had no idea how to do it correctly.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2004 Acura TL
I tried to read the first post. Can't do it. Need to just get to the point. And yes, use paragraphs...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
As has been pointed out, and you missed. There is a conflicting set of laws in CA that state any and all mods to the exhaust past OEM, is illegal.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
axle backs as long as they are under 90 decibels are fine as far as i understand.

ANY change to the exhaust system is a violation, evan if it is CARB approved
Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by brucelee
Can someone back me up with that one? Unless the law has changed since 2003 (when we discussed it, actually, now that I think about it, there was a thread about it back a few years right here in BAIC), but I'm pretty sure it's the same.
As I recall, it read something like:

you cannot modify your exhaust specifically to be louder.

And the legal interpretation was that you couldn't modify an exhaust where the only possible reason for doing so would be to make it louder (whistle tips). Performance exhausts, where the modification was for CARB legal power benefits was okay as long as they meet noise regulation because you're modifying for performance and noise is the side-effect.

The law is written in such a way that things like whistle tips are (rightfully) illegal. There is potential to interpret it that all exhausts with increased noise are illegal, but I do not believe that is the correct legal interpretation. Clearly the intention is to allow aftermarket mufflers for other reasons (your factory one got rusted through, performance, etc...) or when cases like yours went to court, the judges and officers would sometimes lay the smack down just because they can.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
its those rims man im telling you they are cop magnets
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
I have a similar exhaust (prodrive) for a while (3 years) and I have (not) had any issues (cop related) with (it) being (too) lo(u)d (.)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Get your exhaust tested. Fight the ticket. Win. File a formal complaint against the officer.

Bottom line is that you have to work within the system. The system is bent to work in the benefit of the state/officer but if you didn't do anything wrong there are avenues to take to win. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
with so many grammar related replies, i feel im on nasioc lol
Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by Overbear
Depending on what set of laws you read, under CARB they are fine, but under the vehicular code "technically" ANY change to the exhaust system is a violation.
One of them supersedes the other. Got to find out which one.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
from what i understand, anything without a CARB certification is considered illegal and i do believe there aren't any CARB legal exhausts for Subaru. (not even SPT)
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
from what i understand, anything without a CARB certification is considered illegal and i do believe there aren't any CARB legal exhausts for Subaru. (not even SPT)
CARB is only from the airfilter to the catalytic convertor (and everything inbetween), everything else is Vehicle Code.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
exhaust isn't a carb issue. the two laws commonly used are noise and the overall generic any exhaust change is illegal. That one is tough to hold up in court because there's nothing really stopping you from making a choice after your stock exhaust is DAMAGED and needs to be replaced.

But it's enough to send you to the Ref if the officer decides so it's a risk you take. Same with the noise violation.

So a lot of it depends on what codes they're using.

Quick Reply: Daly City cop(rookie) pulled me over for prodrive wrsport exhaust(axelback only)??