CVC 27150 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
everyone needs to look up and read(carefully) these v.c's! It is illigal in the state of calif to modify you exh to amplify the sound.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Car Info: Fast
The way I understand the CVC, the main code (CVC 27150 in this case) sets a blanket restriction, and then then subsections create "holes" or exceptions in the blanket restriction.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is the only sense I can make out of seemingly conflicting codes. It also makes it a lot easier to outlaw everything and then make exceptions, than to create a rule that lists everything that IS NOT legal.

I have a sneaking suspicion that many LEOs do not fully understand the vehicle code. Instead they rely on public ignorance, fear, intimidation, and the fact that many people would rather pay the fine and skulk away than fight a ticket. Not to insult any LEOs on here There is a lot of straight up illegal stuff that goes on in law enforcement, but the fact is most people will not and cannot afford to fight for their rights.

Last edited by aboothman; 02-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
everyone needs to look up and read(carefully) these v.c's! It is illigal in the state of calif to modify you exh to amplify the sound.
no its not.yes theres alot of issues with this and yes people need to read but NO it is not illegal.
changing your exhaust for performance reasons means a louder exhaust note is a by product of this.
it is illegal to modify your "muffler" to produce more noise.
the issue is there are way to many different opions on how this should be enforced and 90% of the police on the streets have no clue
if your exhaust meets the 95dec requirments youll be ok.the thing is hardly anone goes to get this done to protect their rights.
police hate our cars"imports" all the guys who i work with admit they pull over imports because of the profile that goes with them.yes,most have annoying exhaust but they are looking for it.
i actually had a conversation with a chp after he pulled me over for having tint"both windows were down.after he noticed were i worked and we started to talk a little i ask the real reason he pulled me over.he said the "wing" caught his eye and that was enough to make him look closer,then he saw my exhaust(as soon as i saw lights i pulled over and killed it with him having no chance to hear my exhaust)
i then asked about mustangs w/loud exhaust.he stated "well its a mustang,they are supposed to sound like that"

you either pay to play,find loop holes or learn and fight for your rights.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Car Info: Fast
I definately see a mustang with straight pipes in my future
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Removing your OEM catback & replacing it with, say, a Cobb CBE, is not illegal...as long as the sound level does not exceed the legal limits.

That is not modifying your exhaust; it is replacing the old parts with new parts.

If replacing your muffler with a non oem part were illegal, places like Meineke would not exist.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Removing your OEM catback & replacing it with, say, a Cobb CBE, is not illegal...as long as the sound level does not exceed the legal limits.

That is not modifying your exhaust; it is replacing the old parts with new parts.

If replacing your muffler with a non oem part were illegal, places like Meineke would not exist.
Well said.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 1988 Yoda
Ya, I've spoke to quite a few of cops that are very legit and my uncle is a judge and they all say that you cannot replace your exhaust with anything other than an OEM replacement. Ive gotten the exhaust ticket for modification and not sound and it was just a ticket, not a fix it ticket. I had to pay $192 and its done.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by RLLYRCR
Ya, I've spoke to quite a few of cops that are very legit and my uncle is a judge and they all say that you cannot replace your exhaust with anything other than an OEM replacement. Ive gotten the exhaust ticket for modification and not sound and it was just a ticket, not a fix it ticket. I had to pay $192 and its done.
well then they fail at logic
if that was the case then companys like magnaflow who make cats that are legal for obdII cars and mufflers shops who sell mufflers everyday would go out of bussiness.it is not legal to increase the performance of your car.companys that spend millions on R&D every year just to meet californias stupid laws would be able to sue if that was true.
CARB wouldnt approve the use of aftermarket parts if that was the case.manufactors who spend millions on parts to meet or exceed oem specs would go under.

its simple and in writing.yes its hard to understand but in the end it comes down to whos willing to fight for their rights.

its revenue for citys and the state.get a exhuast,go to the state ref and get it messured for compliance and then shove that in the cops face.simple
if you had done that the ticket would have dropped based on calis written cvc.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Car Info: The Limp Imp
I know I am late to the party, but I hope this helps anyone that is reading this later, (probably should print this out and keep a copy in the glove box).

Here is a memo to the CHP to help clarify the law for them (haha);
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/chp.htm

Originally Posted by Redils16
As for filing a harassment report I think I'll pass. I feel like that would just **** the cops off and make them target us more. I'll just be happy if I don't have to pay the fine.
And shame on you! This kind of attitude is the exact reason why cops are getting away with this crap. Hike up your skirt and compain to the appropriate governing body, I mean obvious you're already complaining on this forum, go complain to someone where its gonna hurt that person that illegally pissing you off.

I mean even the potheads are doing it, remember when medical marijuana came about, legal potheads were still getting there medicine confiscated at routine traffic stops. But once they started to complain, cops got in trouble big time here in Cali, and now if your legal and you have a pound in your trunk, cops don't even want to touch or even see it. See what happens when you fight for your rights, good things happen.