crazy bofa story

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
please explain using citations from Visa and MC's TOS documents which can be found online
He doesnt know what he is talking about. That policy would lead to massive losses for credit card companies and invalidate any card with "check ID" written on the back.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by jewpac42
He doesnt know what he is talking about. That policy would lead to massive losses for credit card companies and invalidate any card with "check ID" written on the back.
why do you think I asked for citations?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
then again, all cards say not valid without signature... I've had someone say I cant use that card because I had "see ID" on it, and the ***** was like "it says you have to have a signature, not 'see id', so I cannot accept that as payment"

I was like "there isn't any better verification than my ****ing ID!" and walked out. stupidity!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
i got a imaginary safe at my house with 300,000 won in it.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by jewpac42
Really? Interesting. VISA seems to think otherwise:

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf
(see page 29, under Requesting Cardholder ID):
"Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance . Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID . Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures ."

Mastercard also thinks I know what I'm talking about:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF...ire_Manual.pdf
Chapter 9.11.2 (page 48 in the PDF):
9.11.2 Cardholder Identification
"A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information"

The merchant agreements are also clear that 'See ID' or 'Check ID' isn't valid and doesn't mean ****, but I'm too lazy to go through them for that citation. other trivia: Surcharges for using a card aren't legit, nor are minimums for using a card. All of this is detailed in the documents above.

Would you like to stop talking out of your *** now?

Last edited by mcowger; 05-14-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcowger

"Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance . Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID . Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures ."

"A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information"

The merchant agreements are also clear that 'See ID' or 'Check ID' isn't valid and doesn't mean ****, but I'm too lazy to go through them for that citation. other trivia: Surcharges for using a card aren't legit, nor are minimums for using a card. All of this is detailed in the documents above.

Thats slightly different from what you had said that asking for an ID is against the TOS. That doesn't say that the merchant cannot ask for an ID (although it seems pointless to do so). Still a very good point though.

Do you know if AmEx is the same way? Isn't the blue card supposed to be uber secure?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by mcowger

Please show me where that says the merchant cannot ask for ID.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Thats slightly different from what you had said that asking for an ID is against the TOS. That doesn't say that the merchant cannot ask for an ID (although it seems pointless to do so). Still a very good point though.

Do you know if AmEx is the same way? Isn't the blue card supposed to be uber secure?
I said it can't be required not that it can't be asked for.

Dunno about Amex policies, but they aren't anymore secure than visa or mc
Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi
wow! BofA is really bad with who they hired. Right now I have a problem with them too. It's been going on for 2 months now and they still have not put the money back into my account.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
I absolutely hate BofA

I had over a grand in my checking and an even 2500 in my savings and all of a sudden I check my online balance and my savings (which is always an even amount.. never in change for example never 2145.39 instead it would be 2150.00 because I'm weird like that)

and well my balance said 2359.43 or something like that, I called them about why it was like that and why there was a "bank of america fee" under the transaction history for some odd amount and they couldn't give me an answer as to what it was for (couldn't be overdraft fee as i had over 1k in my checking) and they refused to reverse it..

eventually i got in touch with the VP of the northern california division and he reversed it.. but that was like 3 months after the fact.. after that and several other mishaps (they setup auto bill pay for my BOFA credit card and it wasn't working but i didn't know because i don't watch my balance like that) and it went 6 months without a single payment... my fault for not paying attention yeah but you should be able to trust the bank to setup something like that for their credit card... :-/) I ended up closing my account and moving to a local credit union where I've never been happier.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by evsoul
I absolutely hate BofA

I had over a grand in my checking and an even 2500 in my savings and all of a sudden I check my online balance and my savings (which is always an even amount.. never in change for example never 2145.39 instead it would be 2150.00 because I'm weird like that)

and well my balance said 2359.43 or something like that, I called them about why it was like that and why there was a "bank of america fee" under the transaction history for some odd amount and they couldn't give me an answer as to what it was for (couldn't be overdraft fee as i had over 1k in my checking) and they refused to reverse it..

eventually i got in touch with the VP of the northern california division and he reversed it.. but that was like 3 months after the fact.. after that and several other mishaps (they setup auto bill pay for my BOFA credit card and it wasn't working but i didn't know because i don't watch my balance like that) and it went 6 months without a single payment... my fault for not paying attention yeah but you should be able to trust the bank to setup something like that for their credit card... :-/) I ended up closing my account and moving to a local credit union where I've never been happier.
they charged you, didn't know why, and refused to reverse it?

I debated at one point switching to them but now I'm glad I didn't.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
they are just a huge bank that doesn't care about customer service.
in my experience at least.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
I dunno, every time I have had some issue with BOFA, I called them up and things changed without any commotion. I have been a customer since 1992 though so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by evsoul
they are just a huge bank that doesn't care about customer service.
in my experience at least.
That's why local Credit Union FTW!

**** B of A
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
then again, all cards say not valid without signature... I've had someone say I cant use that card because I had "see ID" on it, and the ***** was like "it says you have to have a signature, not 'see id', so I cannot accept that as payment"

I was like "there isn't any better verification than my ****ing ID!" and walked out. stupidity!!!
My main credit card isn't signed, and there have been multiple times when a cashier will take the card, look at the back, and swipe it as if there is a signature. I've never been denied because of no signature, though, your cashier was pretty damn dumb.