crazy bofa story

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by KOSTI
At this point you should be wondering why I am posting this. Well, the whole time I did this I was never asked for an ID or any security questions. Nothing. So after I set everything up in a new account, because at this point I am trying to see how FAR I can go, I told the bank manager
I've experienced something similar with UBOC. They allowed a pretty sizeable withdrawl from my account without ID. Without an ATM card, actually. I signed the slip and the lady said, "yup, that's you." I immediately asked for the manager. Like you said, not a pretty scene.

What amazed me is that they 'recognized me' (the excuse given by the teller). I'd been in that branch twice. I didn't even know who the hell they were and they knew me? Nah, I don't think so.

I find it funny that I have CHECK ID written on all my cards and no one ever asks. I usually make it a point to ask THEM to check MY identification. Better safe than sorry I guess.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Wow, customer service > customer security for some places I guess. My first job was at quizno's and we were told not to check IDs for credit cards because it annoyed customers
that is ****ing sad
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
I know.

BTW, how is your gf Al?
Which one?

=)
Old 05-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Wells Fargo

Someone emptied about 4G's out of my Wells Fargo account one day. They made a fake I.D. with my name on it. It was a while back, but I think they got my account number or check and with a signature that looked absolutely nothing like mine, emptied my account. It was all reimbursed but still a real PITA to go through.

When I sat down with a customer service person and they showed me the fake signature and the original signature I used to open the account. Totally different. We both agreed that the person that helped the criminal take my cash should be retrained. I no longer bank with Wells Fargo.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
Which one?

=)
touche sir.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX
If they dont check your Id when using your card, sign the slip with the name **** you, nothing less you'll get a little chuckle out of it. I also work at a bank and realize how easy it actually is to defraud someones account. Its sad that no matter what a bank does for security there is always loop holes.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Thats why you should bank at a bank that has a high rating from their last FDIC/DFI audit. I know we have a high rating and you cant even talk about an account you have with us until you have verified that you are indeed who you say you are.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
So not surprised: http://www.betanews.com/article/Bank...udy/1204749449
Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
Thats why you should bank at a bank that has a high rating from their last FDIC/DFI audit. I know we have a high rating and you cant even talk about an account you have with us until you have verified that you are indeed who you say you are.
We're exactly the same way. Even if I do in fact know them, (i.e. seen them alot or what not) I still ask for ID, cause you never know if someone has an identical twin.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ezombie
We're exactly the same way. Even if I do in fact know them, (i.e. seen them alot or what not) I still ask for ID, cause you never know if someone has an identical twin.
I used to be a teller, we have a lot of people that come in daily and we know them, but when it comes to talking to customer service or new accounts about specific transactions or opening new accounts, IDs are always checked and address are always verified before change along with asking specific info only the account holder would have about their accounts.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
I used to work for World Savings & Loan in Hayward. I always asked for ID unless they came in enough where I could recognize them or one of the other tellers recognized them. Sometimes they would still BS me and be like, "Oh c'mon, you know me!" "Sorry sir, I don't recall, may I please see your ID?" They'd get pissed, but I tell them it's better to be safe than sorry, especially if I don't recognize them. I was pretty meticulous with making sure I shredded every piece of trash paper that had customer information or at least scribble hard over it with the same colored ink.

I had a friend who got his BofA checkbook jacked a couple years ago. They took about 2 grand, but it got that back in a month. It was a pain in the *** though.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Wow, customer service > customer security for some places I guess. My first job was at quizno's and we were told not to check IDs for credit cards because it annoyed customers
You were also told that because its a violation of your merchant agreement to require ID for a CC transaction.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcowger
You were also told that because its a violation of your merchant agreement to require ID for a CC transaction.
That couldn't be farhter from the truth.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
I used to be a teller, we have a lot of people that come in daily and we know them, but when it comes to talking to customer service or new accounts about specific transactions or opening new accounts, IDs are always checked and address are always verified before change along with asking specific info only the account holder would have about their accounts.
^^+1, if you have problems showing your Id than you should have no problem with someone takin your moneys.

Absolutley, thats why I get a little wierd when some people freak out when you ask them for ID and they start name dropping (i.e. so and so knows me) as if that'll make me feel more comfortable. After all its my job to make sure my clients money is safe. I'll never understand some people.

Last edited by ezombie; 05-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by mcowger
please explain using citations from Visa and MC's TOS documents which can be found online

Quick Reply: crazy bofa story