A cop said "friend" was sideways through intersection

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Car Info: STI and Outback Sport
A cop said "friend" was sideways through intersection

Lets say my "friend" was coming home from work at 9 tonight. He was getting off of 680 and making a left on mission in Fremont.

The light was green YES hit the gas down the offramp brake downshift and turn. Well it was close the car broke traction but that just helped turn in. That was fun

THen he sees the lights going the opposite way. Quick is there a turn he can make NOPE Cop is now behind him it is inevitable he can no longer ignore the lights.

Cop: asks if "he" knows why he was pulled over.
Friend: "UUHHHHH"
Cop: If you can't tell me there is a very large ticket possibly 2 for you
Friend: I probably ran that light
Cop: and what was the other thing?
Friend Uhhhh (There were to many answers, speeding, recklesss endagerment, exibition of speed, etc)
Cop: thats it you are getting a ticket
Cop: Sign here. the other thing was speeding. If you had told me I would have let you off. You were sideways through the entire intersection!
Friend: Sorry Sir

"He" got OWNED Ticket for the redlight and warning for speeding.

Now what "he" really did wrong is he down shifted to late and should have been harder on the gas and brakes then the cop wouldn't have seen anything

Does he have any chance of beating this?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
LOL no, sorry... Good story though, "he" did get owned.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:08 PM

Car Info: C32 AMG, Lincoln Navigator, LS1 Trans Am, E36 Bmw
Talking

No.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
What he really did wrong was take too long answering. When you get an oppoturnity like that you shouldnt sit there saying "Uhhhhhh..."
Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
idiot.

For driving like that at an hour at which people are on the road. And cars around. and

idiot

for not just owning up to it. Usually when the cop gives you a chance like that he's trying to be nice. not a very regular occurance in the BA.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:47 AM

You gotta own up when you get pulled over...
Last time i got pulled over doin 91 in a 55 by Portland..
My story:
Cop "Do you know why i pulled you over???"
Me "Sure i was gong 90 or so"
Cop"Slow your butt down, have a good night"
Old 04-22-2005, 08:53 AM

hindsights a b**ch

Should have but couldn't get it out of my head that he couldn't prove how fast I was going and he just wanted me to admit it so he could give me 2 tickets.

Oh well
Old 04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by MARKSTI
You gotta own up when you get pulled over...
Last time i got pulled over doin 91 in a 55 by Portland..
My story:
Cop "Do you know why i pulled you over???"
Me "Sure i was gong 90 or so"
Cop"Slow your butt down, have a good night"

I got tagged in my brothers 55 chevy like that. on highway 1 doing about 130.

one in my civic doing about 110mph. The officer gave me a ticket but knocked it down to 85. I was a half mile from my house after a funeral and a drive from riverside.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
Unless the cop is giving you some assurance of not ticketing you for admitting guilt, that is all your are doing, he notes it on your ticket, and you have less to fight with in court as you admitted your guilt at the time of the offense.

So generally, it is always better to not admit guilt, after all the cop can change his mind at any time about giving you a ticket after you have confessed to driving like a crazy lunatic.
If you trust him though and he offers you a way out for admission, take it an see where it gets you.

Of course if your "friend" were smarter about being reckless, when the cop pulled him over he could have said, "Sorry, I misjudged my speed coming off the freeway, thank god there were no pedestrians there to suffer from my mistake. I'm an idiot."
Then maybe the cop would have thought a lesson was learned and let him go.
Smart and reckless don't generally get along together though.

Just don't try to explain away passing a cop on the freeway speeding, doing donuts in front of a school, or how you somehow drifted into a curb in front of the officer - they hear excuses all day and will never believe you over their own eyes.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:03 AM

What tires did your friend have on his STi when he broke loose? I recently put my 070s back on since don't need the all seasons any more and it's nice to have some stick back compared to my conti M+S tires.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:42 AM

"HE " was running pilot sport PS2. The tires weren't the problem.

The dampening rate was probably a little too soft and the cop was exagerating it wasn't the entire intersection

Plus the radius wasn't optimum as he was trying to get out of the intersection quickly.

John
Old 04-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
yeah its hard to get out of red light or stop sign tickets.

but this is weird, he specifically said that you would get a ticket if you didnt admit what you did. this weird because ive been getting pulled over randomly for stupid things and i would play stupid... get a ticket every time. then when i speed on the freeway, i did they whole "im really sorry, i know i was going a bit too fast, that was stupid" and i dont get a ticket. is there some kind of rule, or is it cops actually trying to 'protect and serve' (i would say he was 'trying to be a cool cop', but i cant give em THAT much credit lol).
Old 04-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Car Info: LGT STI
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mikkyo
Unless the cop is giving you some assurance of not ticketing you for admitting guilt, that is all your are doing, he notes it on your ticket, and you have less to fight with in court as you admitted your guilt at the time of the offense.

So generally, it is always better to not admit guilt, after all the cop can change his mind at any time about giving you a ticket after you have confessed to driving like a crazy lunatic.
If you trust him though and he offers you a way out for admission, take it an see where it gets you.

Of course if your "friend" were smarter about being reckless, when the cop pulled him over he could have said, "Sorry, I misjudged my speed coming off the freeway, thank god there were no pedestrians there to suffer from my mistake. I'm an idiot."
Then maybe the cop would have thought a lesson was learned and let him go.
Smart and reckless don't generally get along together though.

Just don't try to explain away passing a cop on the freeway speeding, doing donuts in front of a school, or how you somehow drifted into a curb in front of the officer - they hear excuses all day and will never believe you over their own eyes.

BEST ADVICE YET! The worst thing you can do is admit anything. It’s called self incriminating, and it’s never advised by anyone but people looking to incriminate you.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I disagree with the statements about owning up. This can get you. There may be a good chance that he/she doesn't have any "evidence". Everything else is hear say. Now if you say I was going 60 (in a 35) This is your admitance of guilt. Chances are more than likely you are going to get a ticket for 60mph. An officers witness of speed which is unmetered will not fly in court. An admitance of guilt on your part will.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:04 PM

The radar detector was silent so I knew he didn't have proof. Then again the guns don't track sideways.

Quick Reply: A cop said "friend" was sideways through intersection