cop factor (have you been pulled over for modified exhaust?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I've been pulled over about 5 times for "loud exhaust". Each time I just go and get it signed off. My exhaust isn't big and and shiny either, just super loud. Kakimoto GT1.0z Ti catback. But I also think the vented CF hood I have also attracts the attention of the PoPo. Oh well, that's why I don't drive the WRX that much anymore.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
The only time I've ever been pulled over for loud exhaust was when I was 18 and I drove my mustang to the muffler shop with open headers to have a new system made. Just a little bit loud.

In my wrx, I have a borla hush and I couldn't be happier. Very quiet yet a good tone.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
i never ONCE got pulled over in my 90 GT 5.0 with 1 chamber flows on each side ( i didnt want them by choice, it came with the car installed already)
Old 08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by BillJC
The only time I've ever been pulled over for loud exhaust was when I was 18 and I drove my mustang to the muffler shop with open headers to have a new system made. Just a little bit loud.
LOL! I had to do that with my midpipe/sti muffler... Good thing the muffler shop isnt too far
Old 08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
This is so weird. I have never ever gotten even talked to about loud exhaust and I have never once NOT had a rediculously loud car in the Bay Area from '97 till this past June. I have had my Celica since '99 and it sets off my WRX stock security alarm when I start it next to it as well as my current RS. My WS-6 T/A had a 4" mufflex system and was deafening. I drove a '03 Z06 w/ an x-pipe and straight pipes (upshift to 5th and roll past the soundcheck at Laguna) for 3 months, etc etc. Never once and I have been pulled over 11 or 12 times. What gives?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Kostamojen
LOL! I had to do that with my midpipe/sti muffler... Good thing the muffler shop isnt too far
I drove my Celica open header from Mountain View to Santa Clara down El Camino to my fav exhaust shop and didn't get any trouble. My ears were ringing when I got there... I dunno.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by mcowger
I have a stealthback (TXS) with 1 cat. never been given a second look by any cop, and its pretty quiet.
+1

I have never gotten grief b/c of my exhaust. It's the TXS stealthback (high flow cat) with a Prodrive muffler.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:53 AM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
i have godspeed UP, helix DP, and greddy evo catback. so far i havent had any trouble with this set up. i've had cops behind me, infront of me, next to me, its been cool...(knock on wood). the greddy gives you the deep tone, but not too loud until you get into higher RPM. at idle i think its just a tad louder than stock. the good thing about the greddy is the can hides behind/under the bumper. im happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for the performance with something not too loud.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
my exhaust just got modified yesterday, but I'm still runnin with the stock cat-back...eventually I'll get a borla hush or just use an STi cat back...I dont like big loud mellon shooters anyways
Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM

I have a HKS carbon ti catback exhaust and I got pulled over just recently for the first time in about a year having the exhaust. I was sitting in traffic in front of a cop for way too long then he eventually pulled me over. he asked why I had the exhaust on and I just said because it sounds cool. he asked me how much it would cost to remove the exhaust and I said "free. I can do it myself." then he just told me to take it off and then he left me without a ticket. So its up to you to take a chance or play it safe.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Car Info: your mom.
been pulled over twice when i was still in NY - Apexi N1
Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
Originally Posted by SCscooby03
I have a HKS carbon ti catback exhaust and I got pulled over just recently for the first time in about a year having the exhaust. I was sitting in traffic in front of a cop for way too long then he eventually pulled me over. he asked why I had the exhaust on and I just said because it sounds cool. he asked me how much it would cost to remove the exhaust and I said "free. I can do it myself." then he just told me to take it off and then he left me without a ticket. So its up to you to take a chance or play it safe.

i also have the hks carbon ti exhaust and have been pulled over several times. twice in menlo park, once on hwy 5 heading to la for noise level.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yes.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Yes.
lol. a nice and short answer.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
i thought you can only get your ticket sign off once and then next time you have to pay. how did you do it, just curious?

Originally Posted by Lurk
I've been pulled over about 5 times for "loud exhaust". Each time I just go and get it signed off. My exhaust isn't big and and shiny either, just super loud. Kakimoto GT1.0z Ti catback. But I also think the vented CF hood I have also attracts the attention of the PoPo. Oh well, that's why I don't drive the WRX that much anymore.

Quick Reply: cop factor (have you been pulled over for modified exhaust?)