cop factor (have you been pulled over for modified exhaust?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Exclamation cop factor

i'm getting ready to get a new exhaust for my car and i've got it narrowed down to a few choices. all of them range from different levels of noise.

how many of you have been pulled over by the cops just for having a modded exhaust, i don't mean speeding, just plain-old cruising and getting pulled over for having an aftermarket exhaust.

my goal is not to get any tickets with a new exhaust, let me know what kind of an exhaust you were using when you were pulled over.

thanks
Old 08-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo86
i'm getting ready to get a new exhaust for my car and i've got it narrowed down to a few choices. all of them range from different levels of noise.

how many of you have been pulled over by the cops just for having a modded exhaust, i don't mean speeding, just plain-old cruising and getting pulled over for having an aftermarket exhaust.

my goal is not to get any tickets with a new exhaust, let me know what kind of an exhaust you were using when you were pulled over.

thanks

I was pulled over for tint in Mid Missouri, he never mentioned the exhaust note. But then I have the prodrive axle back. It is fairly tame noise wise.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:14 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
I havent been pulled over yet and in the last 5 days i admit my exhaust is way too loud (but still quieter than a harley)!!! but im in a state where it isnt agenst the rules to modd your car.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Tip for you: get a stealthback. Save yourself the hastle of a fix in ticket especially in a money hungry state like ours.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I have a MRT Full Turbo back, with 1 cat on the DP and a catless UP. VERY quiet for this kind of setup. Next to my friend's Prodrive Axle back you would think my car is off, and almost the same next to a SPT cat back. I don't know how it's done considering 1 cat and no resonator, but I like how quiet it is. Also, the tip looks about the same (if not smaller) than a IS300 tip, or they have the twin tip too.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
I have a stealthback (TXS) with 1 cat. never been given a second look by any cop, and its pretty quiet.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
upipe, and a Stromung dual tip. I think its a tad quieter then the prodrive.
Do yourself a favor, one a prodrive, stromung, or greddy evo. They are all very quiet, greddy is the deepest of course cause of its big ol tail pipe (its not a melon shooter), then prodrive, then stromungs dual tip.
I only know cause 2 of my good buddies have the prodrive, and evo2.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:25 PM

I've never been pulled over specifically for my exhaust but one cop mentioned it after giving me a speeding ticket. He was cool though. Some other cop he knew took his rex to the track. I think one reason I don't get much hastle is the scoobysport isn't flashy. If you didn't know better you'd think it was stock. As long as I don't get it over 3k (what's the fun in that?) it's not too loud. See cop start luggin'.

I love flashy exhaust and would get a cf catback or something, but I am happy with the sound of the scoobysport and I would rather avoid Johnny.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I saw one of my friends get pulled over for a modified exhaust....I dont think she was speeding or anything either. If you are going to go with a loud exhaust, I think your best bet is to just keep an eye out for cops and if you see one cruising along, make it so that he cant move in behind you to check out your exhaust and pull you over, and then pray to whoever you want that hes too lazy to make you pull over so he can look at it.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:13 AM

this is my current setup: stromung catted DP, cat delete w/ the heat shield and midpipe (2.5") to a STi axle back. A tad louder than stock at WOT, but stock like at normal speeds.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
i got pulled over for my apexi gt spec and got a no cat ticket but now with the bosal no tickets at all.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
well ive never been bothered by a cop for exhaust or pulled over....i have tint on the front windows so when im near a cop, i just roll my front windows down....also for my catback i have a stromung dual tip, so it pretty much looks stock like the wrx muffler....i prefer to keep the OEM look rather than have a huge wing, shinny fart cannon and uncessary graphics
Old 08-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Question

i was seriously considering getting the borla hush or xr-1.

i also looked at some of the exhausts by tanabe (alittle pricey tho) and the perrin performance exhaust. i hear the perrin is kinda loud though but the dual-tip looks very much like the stock.

will the cops bother you if you have a stock-looking exhuast that's loud?

thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
when my car had gruppe-s manifold, uppipe, downpipe, and hks hi-power for like 2 years... i lived in the middle of fremont, never got pulled over for exhaust... haha.. i had my front mount, and one time i got pulled over he goes and looks at the front... big *** fmic just sitting there and comes back to the window and says "put your front license plate on"... i used to get pulled over for modified exhaust in my civic... but that things sounded nasty.. haha
Old 08-06-2005, 02:29 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
yep same for me. I had a catless setup w/ HKS carbon ti, gruppe-s manifold, fmic, no fromnt plate. Never got pulled over when living in fremont and i had that setup for about a year. Moved out to danville and have been pulled over 3 times while just cruising along. First ticket was a state ref when i only had a catback on and the last two times i was given warnings since i showed them proof that i passed smog. I like the exhaust though so ill keep taking my chances

Quick Reply: cop factor (have you been pulled over for modified exhaust?)