Cool Item/Product Of The Day, The Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Exclamation Cool Item/Product Of The Day, The Thread!

Every day we shall post a new cool item that is affordable and VERY kick ***, things that you may love that not too many folks know about and you want to spread the word. I will start:

Cool Item Of The Day for Friday (yes, its technically thursday) the 21st of November.

I collect some weird things, and one of those things is flashlights... Flashlights of all sorts from HID, LED, to standard bulbs... The light I'm presenting to you is one of the best of all flashlights. It's so bad *** that you can start fires when you point it at newspapers or similar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrwelQUTMc

^^^^
Thats a link to a youtube demonstration of the light.

We all know flashlights are expensive and you do get what you pay for... I've seen surefire lights sell for well over $3,000, FOR A FLASHLIGHT! However, those are NOT affordable nor are they as cool as the light I'm about to explain to you.

The light is made by a VERY VERY small company called Black Bear Flashlights. Every light is made to order and comes with a lifetime guarantee. The light is called a Black Bear Borealis 1050 flashlight. The light originally starts off as a 3D-cell Maglight, however the only thing they have in common is that they share the outer shell of the maglight, after that everything is highly upgraded and its turned into a whole different beast.

The light is called the Borealis because it puts out a whopping 1,050 lumens! Just to get an idea of how bright that is, a standard 4D cell 3 watt LED maglight puts out about 110lumens! The Borealis is 10 times brighter! You basically need to get a very high output HID (High Intensity Discharge light, found in car headlights, you know the blueish ones that BMWs and stuff come with) and that would cost you over a grand for anything decent... Some are even over 3g's easily... Even surefire lights top out at around 800lumens for their highest non-HID lights and they cost over a thousand dollars!

The Borealis comes with an interior NiM rechargeable battery pack that will give you about an hour or more run time (which is awesome!). Since the light is in a maglight body, if you f' it up or something you can just buy a maglight and switch the bodies. Keep in mind thats ALL they have in common.

Here's a demonstration of a very expensive and popular police flashlight and the Borealis:

Here's an Ultra Stinger, one of the brightest rechargeable lights made by streamlight, VERY common with SWAT teams and other law enforcement teams. Pic taken at the same instant exposure as the Borealis at 35 yards

Name:  USTINGER.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  16.8 KB

Now we have our beloved Borealis 1050 which just destroys the Ultra Stinger and they have the same run time. The Borealis is actually smaller in size and that much brighter. No funny business when taking the photos, both lights were taken with new batteries, same exact exposure, same everything

Name:  boREALIS1000plus.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  28.3 KB

I don't work for the company or anything, I just collect flashlights and am IN LOVE with my 1050... Sometimes you have to be careful where you're shining it so it doesn't reflect back into your eyes. The light costs around $300ish which is an amazing deal since they are hand crafted and made to order just for you. All parts are of incredible quality, this is by far my favorite flashlight that I have ever set my hands on. I have anything from HID, LED, to standard, and this one kicks the crap out of any light I have ever used. Its the best emergency light you could possibly take with you. I can't remember how far the beam is visible, but I recall something like 50 miles or something crazy like that.

Here's a picture of my little collection of lights, since then I've added a few more to the collection. In the picture there's a blue anodized maglight, thats the Borealis... If you look carefully you'll see the battery pack and stuff since I opened the light so you can see it:

With that being said, I am glad to announce that this is most def the coolest item for this Friday the 22nd in the moth of November.

You can discuss and comment, then tomorrow (saturday) you can post up the next item that is beyond cool and realistically obtainable.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
http://www.woot.com/
Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
Meh, its rare that they have items that make me actually want to buy something... Most of the time its the weirdest most random crap and I wonder why people even buy that stuff? Just cuz its for sale doesn't mean you have to have it!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
whats the cheapest smallest brightest flashlight?

i saw the Surefire G2 Torch and i want one! but im sure its $100 at least

Ohh its only $69! it would be cool for photo
Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 PM

Car Info: 07 Shaguar
HID flashlights
Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
whats the cheapest smallest brightest flashlight?

i saw the Surefire G2 Torch and i want one! but im sure its $100 at least

Ohh its only $69! it would be cool for photo
Meh, I'm not a big surefire fan... You're paying big bucks for a name. I'd look into Inova lights, they make some great flashlights all all sorts and varieties and you don't pay for the surefire price tag. That surefire light should cost abour $25-35 tops
Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by dippedinsauce
HID flashlights
Why is that funny?

They use less energy, are far more efficient, and are incredibly bright!

They used to be sort of large but as tech has gone further they are now the size of normal flashlights... The price of those type of lights is really high but has gotten better thanks to the car industry... Soon in the future they will be very affordable and more common then you think.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM

PS: That shovel in my pics is made by GLOCK... It comes with a saw that screws into the end of the handle as you can see in the pics.

I have a GLOCK knife too.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
lmao

don make me hit you wit mah glock...*shovel to the head*
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 AM

I have a SureFire G2 with a CREE LED Drop-in I got from DealExtreme for like $10. It used to be 60 lumens, but now, I think it's closer to 200. I love it.

I also just bought a Fenix E01 for my EDC light. 10 lumens, 21hrs on 1 AAA battery. It's plenty bright for normal everyday things, and it's so small, I actually don't mind carrying it all day, everyday. Plus, it was only $15.

A friend of mine just got a Fenix TK10 something or other. It seems like they're Surefire-like lights at half the price. Also, for the same price as a G2 Surefire, you get an aluminum body.

I occasionally check out www.candlepowerforums.com if I am looking for a new light. I think my next purchase will be something to mount onto my Glock 35, either a Insight XTI Procyon Weapon Light or Streamlight TRL-1.

The E2D defenders kind of intrigue me - something about the crenellated bezel to bash people with just seems kind of cool, but I think if it came down to it, I'd be better off just drawing a knife, no?
________
Ipad Cases

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by kyoung05
I have a SureFire G2 with a CREE LED Drop-in I got from DealExtreme for like $10. It used to be 60 lumens, but now, I think it's closer to 200. I love it.

I also just bought a Fenix E01 for my EDC light. 10 lumens, 21hrs on 1 AAA battery. It's plenty bright for normal everyday things, and it's so small, I actually don't mind carrying it all day, everyday. Plus, it was only $15.

A friend of mine just got a Fenix TK10 something or other. It seems like they're Surefire-like lights at half the price. Also, for the same price as a G2 Surefire, you get an aluminum body.

I occasionally check out www.candlepowerforums.com if I am looking for a new light. I think my next purchase will be something to mount onto my Glock 35, either a Insight XTI Procyon Weapon Light or Streamlight TRL-1.

The E2D defenders kind of intrigue me - something about the crenellated bezel to bash people with just seems kind of cool, but I think if it came down to it, I'd be better off just drawing a knife, no?
haha, someone has Comcast! nice remote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 AM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
Wow, thats a powerful flashlight!! No wonder why they call it the borealis !! I too have that wierd thing to collect different types of flashlights and tools too! The best flashlight that I have is a dorcy 1watt luxeon bulb flash light. The body is really durable and it gives off a 4300k HID type color!! My friend also has this flashlight but his emits a higher temp close to like a purplish color which i think is way cooler than mines. The rest of Maglites, and those Craftsman 1watt L.E.D. flashlights. Hey BruceLee, how does your H.I.D. flashlights work?? Ballast Powered like how they are found on the rides equipped with H.I.D.'s?? Damn, they're so expensive at least the ones made by MagnaLIght.

Last edited by dubyuHO4; 11-21-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:43 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Talking

[crocodile dundee]

that aint flashlight...

this is a flashlight.
http://www.surefire.com/HellFighter
[/crocodile dundee]
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 AM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
Originally Posted by ldivinag
[crocodile dundee]

that aint flashlight...

this is a flashlight.
http://www.surefire.com/HellFighter
[/crocodile dundee]
Yeah, there body structure looks like heavy armour hence the reason to call it tactical and for "use of self defense"!!

-Hey Bruce, I didnt realize you had a invova flashlight. How's that treating and whats the lumens rating on that type of flashlight?? L.E.D./H.I.D./ Xenon Based??
Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 AM

Car Info: 04 java black pearl sti/06 honda ruckus
Originally Posted by brucelee
With that being said, I am glad to announce that this is most def the coolest item for this Friday the 22nd in the moth of November. .
21st is friday.... lol

Quick Reply: Cool Item/Product Of The Day, The Thread!