Computer Repair in San Jose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Underpants Gnome

Car Info: 1.4 Ford Fiesta
Computer Repair in San Jose?

Well my clumsy self tripped over the phone cord coming out of my notebook computer, ripping out the plastic piece that the actual cord plugs into.

Basically there are two wires coming from inside the computer, and the plastic piece (Now seperated from the comp) with two holes where you can see some remaining wire inside. Obviously these two things are not connected anymore, and I can't see anyway that I can do it.

So I need a computer shop(Preferably in San Jose) that does hardware fixes for notebook computers. It's a sony vaio if it matters.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
I really like Central Computers on Stevens Creek @ Saratoga. Never had them repair something though.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 BSP LGT / 2004 JBP FXT
It does, matter. Sony Sucks for service. I am a service technician and you are probally looking at least a couple of a hundred bucks for repair. Most likely it will need to be sent to sony for repairs because that is how they work (depending on model). That is just my experiance with Sony laptops. They have ausome features, but dealing with Sony for warrnaty or not repairs really sucks. My advice to you is, if the laptop is still fully funcitonal except for the modem, get a PCMCIA modem and call it good because it it is less of a hassel.

I have been a service technician for 4 years for Microsoft internal Help Desk and had to deal with sony a lot. I have sent laptops to them all of the time and it took an average of 2 to 4 weeks for diagnosis and ended to be ~$200 at the microsoft discount rate. Now I am a onsite technician for HP/Compaq.

Ben

Last edited by BajaNut; 03-25-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Unless Charlie could fix it for you for free, PCMCIA might be the cheapest way to go. I don't think your warranty (if you still have it) would cover it. And you would have to pay for shipping as well!

IBM is the best! I have had 4 IBM laptops and only 2 had ever broken down on me. And when they did, it took about 2-4 days from pick-up to delivery!

Originally posted by BajaNut
get a PCMCIA modem and call it good because it it is less of a hassel.

I have been a service technician for 4 years for Microsoft internal Help Desk and had to deal with sony a lot. I have sent laptops to them all of the time and it took an average of 2 to 4 weeks for diagnosis and ended to be ~$200 at the microsoft discount rate. Now I am a onsite technician for HP/Compaq.

Ben
Old 03-26-2004, 09:10 AM

Car Info: 2006 BSP LGT / 2004 JBP FXT
Dell is the only one that is better. they normally come out to you. and it normally takes about 2 or 3 days. And they have and award winning customer service. I normally recommend it to anyone that is looking at a laptop. it iw well worth it. IBM is good, but I their customer service fulcuates (sp) drimatically and you can't count on great CS from them, and I normally don't like their package normally, comming from repairing them. Dell is the best in terms of servicing. And I like their packages and the astetics (sp) are good. The only down fall is that they arn't on the cutting edge of technology. It normally takes them 6 months to 1 year to adopt a technology. They like to fully qualify any technology before selling it.

Just my opinion.

Ben
Old 03-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
Originally posted by BajaNut
It does, matter. Sony Sucks for service. I am a service technician and you are probally looking at least a couple of a hundred bucks for repair. Most likely it will need to be sent to sony for repairs because that is how they work (depending on model). That is just my experiance with Sony laptops. They have ausome features, but dealing with Sony for warrnaty or not repairs really sucks. My advice to you is, if the laptop is still fully funcitonal except for the modem, get a PCMCIA modem and call it good because it it is less of a hassel.

Ben
You are 110% right. Sony Sucks it.. I have had a Home Theater receiver in for service 3 times over the past 2 1/2 months.

I second the PCMCIA card... That is probably the easiest, quickest, and cheapest solution.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
If you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance, it's likely covered.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
really?! That's interesting. So does it work like car insurance? if it's your fault your rate could go up? deductable?

Originally posted by mexicanpizza
If you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance, it's likely covered.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Underpants Gnome

Car Info: 1.4 Ford Fiesta
Hey Charlie, you wanna PM me your e-mail address? I can probably take a pic of the damage and send it to you. It's really easy to see what needs to be fixed.

The only reason i have this computer is because it was free So I doubt it has any kind of waranty.

Yea I have finally learned that sony sucks. I have had a VCR, 2 minidisc systems, a car stereo, and a DVD player that have all broken in some way.

Don't know what renter's insurance is

Thanks for the replies

James