the complete process of rebuilding an engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
the complete process of rebuilding an engine

Hey guys, lookin to rebuild my engine in the near future, wanted to break down the steps of how to rebuild the entire long block.. engine has about 200k highway miles and I want to restore the engine of my wrx, would anyone be able to break down into step by step process of how I can go about doing this? Thanks for the help
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
Just a thought

CASE Training Providers - ASE
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Have you considered an OEM long block? are you a glutton for punishment?

For what you will pay in parts you can get it professionally done for not too much more, and have the piece of mind its done right. There are so many things that can go wrong when you take on a project like this.

Maybe drop coin on a short block, have it assembled, then do the R&R yourself to save money there.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Yeah I was planning to have a shop rebuild the engine its just I don't know roughly how much everything will cost.. anywhere from 3-5k? How much would it be to just have the block pressure washed ( duno the exact term for cleaning out the block ) then having them assemble everything back together? I think I can take everything apart but this will take awhile
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Good question, i have always wanted to see an awesome, broken down, step by step motor build write-up. Havent been lucky eanough to run across a real solid one. I have stumbled on a few decent-ish youtube videos, however they tend to be fairly vague.

If you do stumble on one, be sure to post it up!
Or if you end up doing the rebuild, take lots of pictures and YOU can make one

Gooduck
Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Maybe we'll do a little write up if we have some time. Average rebuilds with head word and all parts, fluids, and labor are in the $6k+ range.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Maybe we'll do a little write up if we have some time. Average rebuilds with head word and all parts, fluids, and labor are in the $6k+ range.

Thanks
-- Ed
That would be cool... I've been meaning to ask you about your process.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
1- Tear Down (make sure to organize/catalog everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
2- Send desired parts to machine shop (depending on how in depth you go, heads and/or block)
3- Replace all seals and bearing, the machine shop replaces a few (usually just the valve stem seals)
4- Re-assemble with new parts

...very simple. Just time and parts mostly, the only specialty work needed it by the machine shop. I can name a few great ones in the south bay if thats where you are.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
1- Tear Down (make sure to organize/catalog everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
2- Send desired parts to machine shop (depending on how in depth you go, heads and/or block)
3- Replace all seals and bearing, the machine shop replaces a few (usually just the valve stem seals)
4- Re-assemble with new parts

...very simple. Just time and parts mostly, the only specialty work needed it by the machine shop. I can name a few great ones in the south bay if thats where you are.
what machine shops in the south bay would you recommend? I've been over to Victory Racing Machine works off of captiol expressway and pearl and have heard/seen great reviews of their work but was looking at a few other machine shops. Mainly looking for them to install valve stem seals and seat new valves and maybe just maybe if they are good sleeve a shortblock.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
200k miles will necessitate head work. I would recommend NOT building the block if reliability is a concern and you're not wanting to go crazy on the build. If you're on a budget and are more concerned with refreshing the motor rather than building it up for power, I would opt for a new EJ20 OEM shortblock and have the heads rebuilt.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Brfatal
200k miles will necessitate head work. I would recommend NOT building the block if reliability is a concern and you're not wanting to go crazy on the build. If you're on a budget and are more concerned with refreshing the motor rather than building it up for power, I would opt for a new EJ20 OEM shortblock and have the heads rebuilt.
Great advise! A new ej205 SB will cost you about the same as a properly rebuilt one. And don't skimp on the head work, oil pump, water pump, timing belt idlers and tensioner, etc.

-- Ed
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
what machine shops in the south bay would you recommend? I've been over to Victory Racing Machine works off of captiol expressway and pearl and have heard/seen great reviews of their work but was looking at a few other machine shops. Mainly looking for them to install valve stem seals and seat new valves and maybe just maybe if they are good sleeve a shortblock.
My main go-to shop is Champion Racing in Campbell off Dell Ave. When I worked over there we took all the BMW and Porsche engines there for work. I've also taken my personal E30 M3 engine and friends BMW engine's there when I rebuilt them. A+ work.

EDIT: Another thing before/while building. Do you research! Find out any tips/tricks people had when rebuilding. Also find a good source for technical info/specs like torque specs, what goes where, and tolerances.

If a new EJ20 is cheaper and in the budget, that would be smart. If it isnt and your not going for big power a proper rebuild should be fine.

Last edited by IHeartE30s; 12-26-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Great advice guys thanks a lot , def. On a budget so getting a new shortblock and rebuilding the heads sound like the plan, ill call around and do a bit more research
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM

The setup will be OEM , just has high mileage ( almost 95% of it ) looking to keep my wrx for the long term.. I have ALLDATA and most tools, excluding some subaru specific tools , but it would be my first attempt on a rebuild.. if I had the money , I would just do a complete swap.. although I've previously owned a ls integra and swapped it for the b18c myself, I don't see much similarities with Honda and subaru engines which is sort of spookin me out, but I'm sure the concept is the same?

Quick Reply: the complete process of rebuilding an engine