Is a college degree overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by flukewrx
If you're still in school, then you should stay in school and get the degree (hopefully in a field that you enjoy). I would recommend trying to do an internship while you are still in school though. Paid is great, but even unpaid internships can help you out as you are gaining experience that will be very valuable for you later on.

On a side note - If you are living in L.A. and going to UCLA then why are you posting this in the Bay Area Regional Forum instead of the SoCal Forum?
Plenty of people posts in this forum because there is a lot of input here. As well as many, including I, used to be from the bay, and most of the posts are people FROM or used to be from the bay area.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
I would not pass up college any day just for the social experience.

Made some of my best friends for life there.

Oh....and a good paying job right out the gate was a side perk.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI - OBP
Originally Posted by subie OCD
A degree is definitely not worthless... but at the same time, a degree is not for everybody. My motto: "Its not what you know... its who you know". If you work for a company, do good work and are well liked, you're in. If you cant make friends in the workplace, you will stagnate.

I graduated high school, did some lackluster community college and have been working for over 10 yrs now, 7 of which have been with the same company. Only in the past few years have I considered going back to school. Before, I didnt have a clue what I wanted to do but now that I have a career, I have thought about going back to get some certificates for finance. I want my schooling to be relevant in my field of work.

My 2 cents.
Who you know is very important. One of the great things about college is building a network of peers and teachers who can help you find great jobs right out of school. This is especially true of a masters program.

The major benefit is getting to know people and getting an internship with a company, which typically leads to a good job.

If you are going in to Law or Accounting this is golden. The contacts you will meet in school will help you out for the rest of your life.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by kissmyconverse
I'm an undergraduate at UCLA. While it's certainly a fine institution, I commonly feel like my time, money, and effort could be better provisioned. I just have this sinking feeling that my life is actually being marginalized by a system that ostensibly serves to prevent just that. When I graduate, the meager salary I'm offered (assuming I can even find a job) very likely will not justify the paralyzing debt I will have amassed. Several years of my life will have passed and, even with my impressive "education," I'll still be struggling to breathe (maybe even struggling harder).

For those who have a college degree, has it proved to be worth every penny and second of your life you threw at it?

For those who don't have a college degree, is life generally bearable (maybe even wonderful), or do you oftentimes wish you had gone the college route?
Degree or no degree, you'll find yourself happy only if you do what you love -- wage slavery is the death of joy. If you need a degree to do what you love, then get the degree.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
one post and go

UCLA is so cal!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
This is my 4th year in college and have another 2 years to go. Switched majors 3 times and finally decided on computer engineering at SJSU.

I felt so clueless and lost for the last 3 years (considered dropping out) until I got off my lazy butt and found myself an internship. After months of interacting with people and asking LOTS of questions, I finally know what I want to do. I feel much more driven than ever before and actually have a path to go towards instead of wandering without a set goal.

A college degree will get you an interview but paired with experience, it will get you way farther than just the latter.

AND I do agree that college isn't for everyone but the world works the way it does and a degree will help you land a job.