Coilovers or ALK/sways/bushings etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Coilovers or ALK/sways/bushings etc

Hey guys I got a good amount of money for my b-day and have decided on getting some suspension mods done. I'm debating between getting some coilovers or doing sways/springs/ALK/bushings etc. It's mainly a daily driver but I'm gonna start tracking it a bit next year and do some spirited driving whenever im in the mood. I dont know that much about suspension so I come looking to you guys. Help me out .
Old 07-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
get the coils and steering rack bushings (one of the best mods I've done). Then you can upgrade your sways links and mounts when you start tracking.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
get the coils and steering rack bushings (one of the best mods I've done). Then you can upgrade your sways links and mounts when you start tracking.
Agreed! Coils if you plan on tracking, the adjust ability will make it well worth it. What coil overs were you thinking about?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wrx2fast4ufool
Agreed! Coils if you plan on tracking, the adjust ability will make it well worth it. What coil overs were you thinking about?
KW variant 3s or something around the 2k price range, but anywho I will be getting coil's eventually im just thinking of getting the sways and all that first and coils later.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
sway bars and endlinks ftw
Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
I would do the sways, springs, ALK, and steering bushings. A friend of mine did it to his 07 STi and it handles great. Turn in is excellent as well. Oh yeah, and an alignment too once you have installed everything.

After that I would probably do some minor power mods and brake pads, lines, and fluid then next step is some nice coilovers.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
for the track, you're gonna need some coilovers. but if you're like..hardcore getting into track, i'd get some good brake pads/lines/fluids (if u don't already have them) and some nice hoosier r6's. but i'd vote coilovers first.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Coilovers are nice for the track but less than ideal for bumpier mountain roads. I personally prefer struts and springs for my daily driver wagon because I love mountain runs. I recently tracked the wagon and had no problems passing cars with coilovers. Its all in the tires, alignment, and overall balance of the suspension.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
If you plan to AutoX, i would go for the coilovers. the ALK would push you way up there to at least street mod.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
get a good set of springs, ALK, and sway bars. this will give you a better ride, and then save up for a good set of coilovers to finish off the package.

i did sway bars and springs and had a nice ride. added coilovers and car drives like it is on rails. then added the ALK. still have not begun to reach its potential and I have pushed it hard. No more understeer.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
oh, and steering rack bushings are the best $50 you can spend on your car for handling. major improvement
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
get some coilovers jacob. don't waste money on some springs bc u will just swap them out later on, and a lot of the stuff on the market are just lowering springs and your oem shocks aren't valved for the rates, so they may blow out sooner than expected.

once you get coilovers do not immediately get the sways bc the coilovers will help the car rotate a lot better already. also, get the steering rack bushings as it will take out a lot of slop in the steering.

the first thing I think you should do though is get better tires(i forget what you're running), and learn the real limits of the stock suspension. once you learn the limits of your stock suspension you would be able to drive the car a lot harder and faster with the new mods(granted you don't become stupid and think you can enter a turn 2x faster than before)

oh...and stay off the touge. I don't want to see/hear about you crashing again. get a scca membership and start auto-xing. great and safe way to learn how to drive
Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Oh and also remember that tracking is not cheap at all. I'm sure you know the going rate but at 160 a session + gas to get there + if you want to run 100 octane, and even if you don't you're burning through gas like crazy, plus pad and tire wear will add up. People suggest you get some dedicated track pads because any street or even "performance pads" like the HPS won't really hold up that long. Check this out...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...highlight=koni

You get the Koni single adjustable struts w/ ground control springs, camber/caster plates, and enough money left over for front and rear sway bar.

The koni/ground control is basically getting coilovers but with spring rates that you want.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM

I'd rather not get springs/struts because eventually id want coilovers.

Let me explain my situation a bit. I plan to turn the car into a track/weekend driver eventually so I plan on doing everything right the first time IE no springs/struts. I dont mind having a harsh ride and I plan on doing most of these mods eventually. Im just trying to decide what to start with, coilovers or ALK/bushing/short throw/sways and all that jazz. I already have a TBE and tune and dont plan on adding more power for a while. As for brakes and tires I currently have ferodo ds2500 and will probablly get another set and for tires I have some Pzero Nero's and will replace those with some Azenis or something similar when they wear out.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
dont get azenis. get some bridgestone re-01r's. just get a nice set of coilovers like ohlins and some new tires and i guarantee you will be happy

Quick Reply: Coilovers or ALK/sways/bushings etc