Coding and C++ Programming...who knows it

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Coding and C++ Programming...who knows it

Basically really interested in learning computer coding and programming. I know BAIC members cover a wide variety of occupations, so I wanted to get some tips, tricks, info from those of you that know it.

1)Any suggestions on where to start?
2)Are classes worth it? Or can I learn the same on my own or through guidance of another?
3)Any specific computer requirements? (mainly hardware Im concerned with)
4)Am I crazy for wanting to get into this?

I pretty much want to learn for my own good and be able to create/use my own programs. If I happen to be "good" at it, I may look into a career/job when a company is actually hiring again. So no urgent rush to learn and perfect my skills. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Basically really interested in learning computer coding and programming. I know BAIC members cover a wide variety of occupations, so I wanted to get some tips, tricks, info from those of you that know it.

1)Any suggestions on where to start?
2)Are classes worth it? Or can I learn the same on my own or through guidance of another?
3)Any specific computer requirements? (mainly hardware Im concerned with)
4)Am I crazy for wanting to get into this?

I pretty much want to learn for my own good and be able to create/use my own programs. If I happen to be "good" at it, I may look into a career/job when a company is actually hiring again. So no urgent rush to learn and perfect my skills. Thanks.
C++ might be a little hard to start off with. I'd recommend Java as a first programming language. I have to take some programming classes in college and they're tough to learn.

1. Start with a book on Java or C++, but I'd recommend starting with Java as it's more noob friendly. I'd recommend taking a class, but it's not impossible to learn on your own, just a little easier to have someone walk you through it.

2. You can learn either through a class or through someone that knows. But if you're gonna learn from someone else make sure they're patient. Learning a computer language can be tedious and difficult to learn. Best advice is to KEEP AN OPEN MIND while learning.

3. As for computer requirements, any computer will do fine, you just need a compiler like Dr. Java (open source)

4. You are not crazy for learning a foreign language. But I'll tell you, it's tough, and it's kind of hard to grasp. It might sound easy when you read the book, but when you start writing a real program (like an anagram or a game) it gets really difficult and you easily get lost, that's where someone with experience comes in to help.

Basically, keep an open mind when learning a language, it's easy to lose interest, but you got to focus. Computer language is either you love it or hate it. And to be good at it, you have to LOVE it, in my programming class, there were people that had to learn it for their major and people who had fun and love doing it. So you decide which person you want to be. Start with java it'll be less painful.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

1. Take a class. Really. Right now I wished I took a class in C.

2. See #1.

3. Not really. What requires higher end machines is due to all the tools you'll need. For example , microsoft's visual studio is gignatic. Meanwhile a really compact C/C++ IDE that is open sourced is small.

4. Yes.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks chinoyboi and ldivinag for the info. I'll probably pick up a couple books and start learning some on my own. Will definitely look into classes sometime next year. Any books you guys recommend? I know Ive seen those "dummy guides" but wasn't sure if they were good since they make those guides for everything.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
the community colleges in the area are a spectacular resource if you're really serious. Honestly, unless you are willing go through alot of hardship dont just go out and buy books; the experience will most likely be devastating and unnecessarily so, instruction is definitely the way to go. And start with a lower level programming language like c. c++ and java are higher level object oriented languages, but you will not truely understand your system unless you have lower level understanding of the system from the ground up.

But if you just want to be a web designer, dont waste your time with c/c++/java, just go straight to php/html/xml etc.. Thats something you could probably even teach yourself, just search for tutorials on the google; but if you are really serious, de anza and foothill are cheap and will help you get started on the right path.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks rugmonkey! Yeah the local schools were another question I had, as far as how good they were. Ill be looking into both of those schools pretty soon. Does anyone know if the coding/programming for an application on the iTouch/iPhone is any different than creating an application for a computer?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Just stick with a computer . It'll cause less headaches and plus why would you want to program on a itouch/iphone? Also, well teaching programming is like teaching math really. If you have a good teacher that's good at explaining math to you, likewise if you have a good teacher that's good at explaining programming language. Then you'll have a good teacher
Old 12-19-2008, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Classes are definitely worth it.

Also, the itouch/iphone doesn't use C++ as its language, it uses Objective-C, and as far as I know the development tools are only available for Macs.

So, yeah it is different than writing something for a computer.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Well I have an iTouch and had a couple ideas for apps for it. But I don't have a Mac so those ideas will have to wait lol. Without searching, Im assuming the programming classes are the normal semester length setup or do they have a different setup?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

there are 2 types of applications you can create for an iPhone (and iPod touch).

first one us what apple calls an iPhone SDK app. this is using OBJECTIVE C (which is essentially their flavor of C++). and you need the latest MAC OS to run the SDK (software developer kit). btw, if you learn O-C, you can also write for the MAC itself too, since that's what they use...

second is iPhone web apps. this is what i do. anything that you write that runs on any web browser, will run on the iPhone using the mobile SAFARI. with the EXCEPTION of JAVA.

i use the (W)AMP stack for my (iPhone) web development.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Well I have an iTouch and had a couple ideas for apps for it. But I don't have a Mac so those ideas will have to wait lol. Without searching, Im assuming the programming classes are the normal semester length setup or do they have a different setup?
Not to rain on your parade. But writing an application isn't as easy as you might think it is. Writing a simple calculator program in Java is pretty overwhelming enough for a beginner. When you first start learning a program, you're going to be learning VERY elementary concepts and ideas. So for the sake of you learning programming language the RIGHT way, don't do something as complex as writing a program on an itouch. And most likely you will not learn how to make your application communicate with a device like an itouch.

The reason I'm discouraging this is cause once you start learning, you'll realize how foreign C, C++, Java is to you. And your first book will basically teach you the ABC's of programming (ie various programming commands and data types)... then you'll learn how to put those ABC's to form words of programming (ie loops and arrays). And it just gets more and more complex for there.

Just start with any Mac or PC and find an open-source compiler and that'll give you a good start to programming.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice and information. I know it'll take a lot of work and definitely isn't easy, but I know I'll really get into the challenge of it. The whole iTouch thing was just an interest. I know I'll have to start very small and work my way up.