CNN: Subaru is an "artisanal" car maker

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
CNN: Subaru is an "artisanal" car maker

Subaru's latest models are winning the highest marks for quality and safety. Here's how the tiny, quirky, "artisanal" car maker does it.
What Subaru has done is to make itself into the first automaker that could be described as "artisanal" -- focused, individualistic, and really good at a very few things. With only limited resources, Subaru has made smart bets on features like all-wheel drive, developed memorable marketing and advertising that set it apart from the competition, and learned more about its customers than any other automaker. In appealing to them by geography, lifestyle, and, at times, sexual orientation, it has built the deepest loyalty in the car business. The company understands itself so well that for years its advertising tag line was the self-referential "It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."
Good CNN article about Subaru today, but how did we get from "rally inspired/bred" to "artisinal"?!?! The article make no mention of the former and dedicates all of 2 sentenses to WRX/STi models. I didn't realize Subarus are now hand-made in small batches from over-priced, locally-sourced, organic, cruelty-free, fair trade products. Somewhere there is a group of hipster creative marketing types that require a full on beat down!

Besides that I thought it was a good read and wanted to share...Full article link:

Are Subarus the best cars money can buy? - Fortune Management
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I've noticed more and more subarus on the road, and I've converted many people to subarus...they are doing something right haha
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
My wrists just got a little limper behind the wheel.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Car Info: LEGACY L7 BD,GF8 WAGON
Lol
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
We can now be true hipsters and say that we had subarus before they became cool
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Whoever wrote the article still seems slightly clueless about a few things about Subaru. But then, it is catering to North Americans instead of international audiences.

Little things like stating how the EJ is over 2 decades old (but the FB came out almost 2 years ago), lack of subcompacts (Subaru has been making Kei cars for many years now, sadly, no longer made by FHI anymore), and lack of a proper 7-passenger vehicle (the Exiga is one we don't get sadly).
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
I like how he throws in the lesbaru owners.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by shimmies
We can now be true hipsters and say that we had subarus before they became cool
Technically I don't think even us Bugeye owners can really say that. The ones that owned the GC Impreza's and the Pre-2001 Model Subaru's can probably say that, but we were getting in when it was pretty much the best option on the market at the time for the price range that it was in.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
"and learned more about its customers...sexual orientation" = ie they make car for lesbians. Haha.

I dont think you can really say they are rally bread in the eyes of Americans now a days, the biggest rally competition we know about it is WRC. When they took their cars out I think the focus on the WRX/STI is compact street racer.

I think artisanal isnt a bad thing to be called and sorta agree with it, because you have Art for the hipsters and **** for the homosexuals = Subaru marketing plan.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by flukewrx
Technically I don't think even us Bugeye owners can really say that. The ones that owned the GC Impreza's and the Pre-2001 Model Subaru's can probably say that, but we were getting in when it was pretty much the best option on the market at the time for the price range that it was in.
I actually deferred my purchase by about 8 months in order to get a stock turbo'd GDA instead of my original goal of a GM6. It was all thanks to the guy that let me test drive his GM6; he was the one that first told me about the then-looming model up haha.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flukewrx
QFT. What about those of us who owned BC/BF turbo Legacys

-Brian