Clutch shudder TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Question Clutch shudder TSB

Has anyone gone to a dealership for the clutch shudder problem? I found the Technical Service Bulletin where it says that they'll replace your clutch and all that good stuff if you're still under your powertrain warranty. The reason I ask is because I've heard stories where people have called the dealership, told them about the problem and the dealership was aware of it already, so they replaced the parts with no hassle. I have an appointment scheduled with Carlsen on Tuesday for the recall issues and added the clutch shudder problem to the list. They said that they'd keep it overnight since I told them that the shudder problem is usually in the mornings, or when it's cold. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences regarding this TSB.

Scan of actual TSB
Old 10-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Originally Posted by ScoobyEnthused
Has anyone gone to a dealership for the clutch shudder problem? I found the Technical Service Bulletin where it says that they'll replace your clutch and all that good stuff if you're still under your powertrain warranty. The reason I ask is because I've heard stories where people have called the dealership, told them about the problem and the dealership was aware of it already, so they replaced the parts with no hassle. I have an appointment scheduled with Carlsen on Tuesday for the recall issues and added the clutch shudder problem to the list. They said that they'd keep it overnight since I told them that the shudder problem is usually in the mornings, or when it's cold. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences regarding this TSB.

Scan of actual TSB
Carlsen will want to reproduce the problem before they will get authorization. You may be in luck since the weather is cooler now. The last time I left my wagon overnight the weather was still somewhat warm and the tech could not reproduce the shudder. BTW the tech was not Kevin, I don't know if he still works there anymore.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:03 PM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
I had it done at Carlsen as well. The clutch is a lot more comfortable now. I left it overnight and they were able to reproduce the shudder the next morning.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoogie
I had it done at Carlsen as well. The clutch is a lot more comfortable now. I left it overnight and they were able to reproduce the shudder the next morning.
That makes me feel a little better and optimistic about it. I hope they say the same thing the next morning for my car... I'm crossin' my fingers.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Car Info: 1986 Supra
I just had it done at Carlsen on Tuesday. I left the car over night on Monday, and had a tech try it. Since it's easy to reproduce when the car is cold, it was no problem. I worked with Howard btw.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:54 PM

Car Info: '07 FXT Sport / '96 STiL
Originally Posted by ScoobyEnthused

Scan of actual TSB

I had really bad clutch studder on my Outback. Carlsen replaced the clutch and pressure plate (at my expense) and also changed the transmission case, throwout bearing and some other crap under warranty at the same time. New clutch also had studder in less than 6 months. They told me, both times, that there wasn't anything they could do about it. I don't think they changed the flywheel. If I had it to do over again, I'd get an ACT clutch.

I have never had any problems with studder on my 03 WRX.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 2006 SWP Legacy GT Sedan
I left mine over night on monday and come tuesday, i had my clutch replaced. drives very smooth now.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
My car is currently at 47K and it is modded (Cat Back, VF 29...etc)
umm...any chance that they are going to do that for me with the warrenty?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by broom_dude
My car is currently at 47K and it is modded (Cat Back, VF 29...etc)
umm...any chance that they are going to do that for me with the warrenty?
Not with that many miles. When I had mine done Subaru told me the clutch shudder is only covered under the 36k bumper to bumper. The mods would likely have them saying no regardless.

-Chris
Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 2007 silver STI
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Not with that many miles. When I had mine done Subaru told me the clutch shudder is only covered under the 36k bumper to bumper. The mods would likely have them saying no regardless.

-Chris

it isnt under the drivetrain warranty? i would think they would replace it after any length of time. its their fault the parts arent working right, not ours. i have about 50K on my 02 RS. are they not going to fix it?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Just got my car back from Carlsen Subaru. They replaced the clutch assembly and flywheel. So far, so great! It was all replaced under warranty, they covered the charges on my rental car. So this whole service cost me $0.00! Yahooooo! We'll see how it performs tomorrow morning when the shudder is supposed to occur.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Explain this clutch shudder. I'm always up for replacement parts. I dpn't know if there is s problem or not.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Car Info: '07 FXT Sport / '96 STiL
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Explain this clutch shudder. I'm always up for replacement parts. I dpn't know if there is s problem or not.
If you don't know, there's no problem. Trust me, you'd know.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
K den