Clifford Alarm Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Clifford Alarm Questions

Hey guys, I have an 03 WRX and was planning on getting an alarm to protect my new toy. After talking to some car buddies, I was told that Clifford makes a great alarm and has a nice warranty. Did a little bit of research and I called some places locally for install and they didn't want to give me a price over the phone. I read in another thread of some places that you guys recommend and don't recommend (Pacific Stereo). Was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of prices I can expect to spend and a unit and install and which system is worth it. I was considering the Arrow 5 or the Concept 450. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
The Arrow 5 is pretty bottom of the line. It doesn't even have a starter kill. I bought one from Pacific Stereo, and it is nice, but on the cheap side.

BTW, The install at Pacific Stereo was clean and top notch. No complaints here.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:32 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

clifford alarms arent sold to individuals anymore. they only sell them installed from authorized dealers to minimize install errors and problems.

i would spend the extra $$$ to get the middle of the line stuff.

i've had a clifford 600 alarm (circa 1994) on my truck. and while the remote fob is weakinging, the alarm is still great. plus the window modules (an extra $150 per) has me spoiled. it rolls up the windows with i arm it. and within 10 seconds i can crack the windows. when i disarm, i have another 10 seconds to fully roll them down...
Old 07-20-2003, 07:47 PM

The Clifford Arrow 5 is a great mid-line alarm. It does have starter kill with it as well as a shock sensor. It has a very small brain and small shock sensor for that steath look. If you were interesting in getting optional accesories for your alarm such as window controls or other protection sensors, I would consider upgrading to a higher end alarm. Some of the high end models include IG6000 to the 8000 and ending up at the AvantGaurd 4. I have the avantguard in my 03 wrx, which is $1000 installed at my store. If you are interested in purchasing an alarm for you car and would like to have a experienced subaru installer work on your car send me a PM or email (in profile) and I can set you up with prices and installs.

The Arrow 5 goes for 229 installed, I belive. We also include free installation of hoodpin and I would recommend a trunk pin for an additional 25 dollars. send me an email or PM

PS. I am a installer @ Good Guys, concord.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:48 PM

oh wait 1 more thing....
Lifetime warranty on labor for as long as you own the car. Anyone else interested hit me up as well.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
No, the Arrow 5 does not have a starter kill! I have the box and the manual right here. It is an option. I can go out to my 2003 Civic right now and start it with the alarm armed. Luckily, the 2003 Civics are the first year that Honda uses an engine immobilizer. Therefore, if you don't have the chipped key, the car will not start.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Just remember that a car alarm is only as good as it's install and a warranty is only as good as the store.........
Shop around and don't buy on price alone.
Use the force if you have to.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Just FYI- the arrow 5 has what is called an "Armed Output" and as long as the installer knows how to wire a relay and the customer is willing to spend a few extra pennies you too can have starter kill or ignition kill or fuel pump cut off. The IG-6000 and up actually have both starter kill and ignition kill relays on board, but it is up to the shop to decide how they sell it and install it.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:28 PM

OK for your information. I just INSTALLED 2 arrow 5's today. They do come with starter kill. They come wired with built in relays. With the option of either normally closed or normally open relay's. they only reason you're civic does not start while arm is because either the installer did not install it, did not install it correctly, or there is a fault in you're alarm.

http://directed.com/guides/manuals/i...09595_3-03.pdf

Here is a link straight from directed electronics website. It is the installation manual. On page 9 of this installation manual is details the process of wiring the built in starter immobilizer, again showing either n/o or n/c circuits.

So rest assured the arrow 5 does have starter kill. Perhaps the terminology confuses people...any questions can be directed to me.

Also I would talk with the people who installed your alarm and make sure they connected the starter kill correctly.

I also agree that the shop you take your car too will directly effect the quality of installation. best buy hires people with no experience=bad, circuit city solders everything=very good, they also hire people with no experience. Good guys you have to be 21 and older to install and at least 1 years experience. Our installers all have 5+ years experience.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
dont get any car install stuff done at Best Buy. My roommate had his stereo installed there cause he thought a big name store/branch would be safe. their install was wack so he complained. a week later they broke into his car and stole the stereo.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 AM

BLUTHDR815 - At Circuit City, how well do you guys hide the brain? I want to make sure wherever I go doesn't just put it under the dash pannels in the middle of the car.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:23 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I had an Arrow 3 on my BMW and that has starter kill, I dont see why the arrow 5 would not...its a nice system though, I had remote start with it as well
Old 07-22-2003, 12:38 PM

How important is a remote start when we're living in CA? It's not like we need to warm up our engines and get the heater and defroster running before we run out of the house, through the snow, and jump into the car.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by Vaca
How important is a remote start when we're living in CA? It's not like we need to warm up our engines and get the heater and defroster running before we run out of the house, through the snow, and jump into the car.
its always nice to have...I am not telling you to get it, I am just telling you what kinda system I had on my old car. I have a crimestopper which is actually cheaper then the Arrow 3 was and I am more happy with it, it has the same features that my clifford had plus a few motor, and the remote start on the crimestopper is a lot better....it always starts the car in 1 try
Old 07-22-2003, 04:14 PM

VACA, i do not work at circuit city. I work at Good Guys. Usually we hide the brains in the driver side dash. But for a subaru ill make a special exception. There are many places to hide the brain of the arrow 5 because it is so small.

In my car I have the clifford avantguard. I have window controls on all 4 windows. Proximity sensor, digital tilt sensor to prevent jack my car away or stealing my rims. It also has a omni sensor which is like a shock sensor but it is the same sensitivity all the way around the car. And of course remote start. I only wanted the remote start so i can warm my car in the winter or use the the ac in the summer. Once you get remote start you dont go back.

You will have a hard time finding a store that will install a remote start on a manual tranny tho. We are not supposed to do, but we can always talk about that...