Clicking noise when stepping on brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
Clicking noise when stepping on brake pedal

**I posted this in the Brake Forums, but no one was offering any advice. Since this gets more views here maybe some can help identify the problem**

Ok, this only usually happens when my car has been sitting for a while usually in the morning. But as I go forward there is this distinct *CLICK* from both front brakes when I step on the brake pedal. It goes away after the initial click, but if i go in reverse and go forward again it sometimes will CLICK.

Any ideas? MY GF has a honda and it had the exact same sound. The dealership said her shims needed to be replaced. Would this be the same thing???

Ryan
Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
Originally Posted by gooder77
**I posted this in the Brake Forums, but no one was offering any advice. Since this gets more views here maybe some can help identify the problem**

Ok, this only usually happens when my car has been sitting for a while usually in the morning. But as I go forward there is this distinct *CLICK* from both front brakes when I step on the brake pedal. It goes away after the initial click, but if i go in reverse and go forward again it sometimes will CLICK.

Any ideas? MY GF has a honda and it had the exact same sound. The dealership said her shims needed to be replaced. Would this be the same thing???

Ryan

I don't have that problem on my wrx.. but on my 04 Civic, I have that problem. (or maybe it's an 03) but anyway, I took it to the dealer and they said it might be because the pads are loose. but then again, they didn't fix it. so It's still clicks. it bothered me before, but not anymore. Good luck with that. take it to the dealer to be safe.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:54 PM

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...wtopic&t=15654
Old 07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by gooder77

Ryan
it's could be a simple as just the pads shifting...nothing to worry about. Or if you're getting knock back, it could mean a bad wheel bearing. But it sounds like (from what you said) that's its just the pads.

-Noah
Old 07-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
it's could be a simple as just the pads shifting...nothing to worry about. Or if you're getting knock back, it could mean a bad wheel bearing. But it sounds like (from what you said) that's its just the pads.

-Noah
Thanks for the insight. I was afraid I'd be shelling out more $$$.

ryan
Old 07-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Yeah this doesn't sound like a problem, it just sounds like pad shift. If there's any play in them they will move to the front or back or their little spot in the caliper depending on what way the rotor is turning. Pretty normal, especially if you have aftermarket calipers.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Mine does this as well. I reverse out of the driveway and hit the brakes. Then drive forward. At the end of the street I brake and the pads go click! Obviously they only do this once per direction change. If they did it every time I braked while going forward I'd be concerned.

The original pads did it, and my new ones do as well. There is a small amount of slop in the pad holder and they snick up and down a few mm.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Ok. I'm relieved to hear that this is a somewhat common occurence and nothing to really worry about.

Thanks everyone for your input.

ryan
Old 07-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
btw -- a click, click, click, click at slow speeds is semi-common if you have slotted rotors (it's the leading edge of the pad catching on a slot(s)), but that's clearly not what this is.

Jeremy