CHP Zero Tolerance on front license plates???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
well no thats not true, alot of cars dont have a plce for them and dont sell brackets. alot of the high end cars dont have places for them, and also Saleen mustangs dont along with some other not so high end cars.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
oh yes its a moving violation... sorry and thanks blue blurr

wambatsauce you can look it up if you want...

edgar,
Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zumnwrx

edgar,

no problem, but wht did i do? lol
Old 07-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Every car sold in the USA has to be able to mount a front plate. The ones that don't have holes already have some sort of bracket you can buy to hang your front plate on the purdy bumper. Hope I don't get a ticket, my last front plate was used on a Pro7 car as a rookie plate. Haha.. I'm fresh out.

-Jacob
My STi didn't come with the holes drilled for the fornt plate. But the dimples were there and all I had to do was screw right into them. Now if you change your front bumper, you might have some issues.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM

Car Info: my 02 Wrx > STi = G35
awww man...i was fine with just paying a fix it ticket but if it's going to go on my record as a moving violation, i figure i might as well just suck it up and put the front plate on.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:52 PM
VIP Member

hey zumnwrx where are you getting all this info? cause i know a cop and i was talking to him about this and he says a fix it ticket wont give you "points" on ur record so it wont mess you up. unless the fix it ticket is hazerdess (like no headlights, cracked window) and no front plate is not hazerdess. also he said its up to the city on cost cause in berkely they used to charge 25 dollers now they only charge 10 dollers for a fix it ticket, so he thinks its up to the city not the county wht they charge. so i was wondering where you got this info? cause i would tend to belive a cop more than you, but i dunno. no offense to you im not meaning to be an *** if it seems so.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by blue blurr
well no thats not true, alot of cars dont have a plce for them and dont sell brackets. alot of the high end cars dont have places for them, and also Saleen mustangs dont along with some other not so high end cars.
Yes, it is true. You are required to display a front license plate in the state of CA no matter what you drive, though there are different rules for farm trucks and stuff. People with Ferraris try to use the 'waiting for the bracket from Italy' excuse, etc. It's true for every car. Don't trust me, look it up. I woulda - but I have been busy trying to see if this is a moving violation or not. Which I am sure it's NOT.

-Jacob
Old 07-12-2004, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zumnwrx

edgar,
Wambat? Heh. Thanks - I actually did want to look it up. I spent (wasted?) about 15 minutes and all I could find was that you actually DO need a front license plate, and that it's a $10 fine and a sign-off for the violation - just like any other fix it ticket. I saw on a faq's website that someone had mentioned he got pulled for speeding, but the cop gave him a license plate ticket to avoid giving him a moving violation. The only thing I really found about it other than that was this form:

http://www.ci.sf.ca.us/site/uploaded...te_signoff.pdf

I am very sure it's NOT a moving violation, but I never really mind being wrong. Please - if you have some actual facts, pass them along - it would be useful.

-Jacob
Old 07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Egan
My STi didn't come with the holes drilled for the fornt plate. But the dimples were there and all I had to do was screw right into them. Now if you change your front bumper, you might have some issues.
Yeah, I have those as well - but there are actual HOLES there too, which made me think they had some sort of clip or bracket (like many I have thrown away removing my front license plates on new cars).

-Jacob
Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Any law against a license plate that's tilted?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by huck
Any law against a license plate that's tilted?
I don't know if there is a specific law or CVC, but one states that it has to be securely fastened (no swinging allowed) and states that the plate must be "clearly visible" and "clearly legible"
Old 07-12-2004, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by nKoan
I don't know if there is a specific law or CVC, but one states that it has to be securely fastened (no swinging allowed) and states that the plate must be "clearly visible" and "clearly legible"
I figured as much. Poop. :P
Old 07-12-2004, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't like the way the front plate looks on an Impreza either. The mounting position is like an afterthought for a U.S. market that requires it. It completely ruins the aggressive lower grille opening. I don't like the way that the screws have to 'thread' into the plastic bumper cover.

I just leave it on while driving (removed for pics sometimes, though) to avoid the hassle of possibly being pulled over.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-12-2004, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yes, it is true. You are required to display a front license plate in the state of CA no matter what you drive, though there are different rules for farm trucks and stuff. People with Ferraris try to use the 'waiting for the bracket from Italy' excuse, etc. It's true for every car. Don't trust me, look it up. I woulda - but I have been busy trying to see if this is a moving violation or not. Which I am sure it's NOT.

-Jacob
yea, you were right. but im saying not all cars come with holes noor do they sell brakets. and ZUMNWRX i dont think it goes on ur insurance and its still only 10 bucks. that coming from a cop and wht wombatsouce found out. im just going to leave the front plate off.

Quick Reply: CHP Zero Tolerance on front license plates???