CHP Zero Tolerance on front license plates???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Yes, this law has been on the books forever. With the advent of cameras at stop lights and that the fine has gone from $25 to $100 (baring a $10 ticket write-off) its much more of a money-maker now.

Why else would an office car about a front plate?

jason
Old 07-12-2004, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Here's an interesting question - why is it so hard to put your front plate on?
For me, it's not hard (swapped out suspension this weekend, can't be much harder than that). It's that for one, I don't want one, and I don't see a point (beyond the VERY valid point made about being low-key copswise). For two - I have never had a front license plate and never had a problem with it. Third reason, I guess I need a mounting kit or something since the holes don't line up.

If I ever do put my plate on, it will be folded in a way that only the numbers show. I have done this for a few friends and it looks nice, and hides the screws. I have noticed the Revenue Enhancement Patrol out in droves, and if it gets worse than maybe I will cave and put it on. I am a firm believer in being as invisible as possible to the police. Which is another reason I bought silver instead of yellow (they were trying reeeaaaaal hard to get me in a yellow one).

-Jacob
Old 07-12-2004, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
The no-plate ticket is a fix-it, but the fine goes up the 2nd time (not sure if that is a city-by-city thing).

They take pic(s) of the back plate, so why do they care about a front plate?

I don't run red lights and I have Fastrak, so they ain't gonna make money off me even with a front plate on.

The whole photo-red-light-automatic-revenue-machine is BS anyways. At one intersection, they were issuing 300 tickets PER DAY. Then, to fall in line with some new civil engineering standard, they increased the time of the yellow light by ONE SECOND and then less than 40 tickets were issued per day. Bet they switched it back
Old 07-12-2004, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Who cares what reason they have for enforcing the no front plate thing?:

It's the Law

No amount of internet posting and complaining is going to change that, no matter how much sense your reasoning makes. Why give the cops a legitimate reason to pull you over? Who knows what else they will find?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Egan
Who cares what reason they have for enforcing the no front plate thing?:

It's the Law

No amount of internet posting and complaining is going to change that, no matter how much sense your reasoning makes. Why give the cops a legitimate reason to pull you over? Who knows what else they will find?

quoted for truth !!!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Obvious, undeniable, and yes the law won't change.
What can & should change is they should waste less time on petty laws, and spend more time on making & enforcing laws that will save LIVES.

How about enforce the DUI laws MORE? That might save a few HUNDRED lives per year out of the several THOUSAND that die each year from lamea**es who can't see straight but think they can still operate 4000 lbs of machinery.

How about ticketing those dumbass drivers? That SUV that just passed me at 70mph with the bald, underinflated tires with the driver talking on a cell phone in the rain...can't we figure out a way to get them off the road?

Who the f*** needs a lazy cop wasting hours lecturing people about a useless petty thing like a missing front license plate? Did he save any lives? He should be patrolling the road for reckless, crazy, speeding drivers on Mt. Hamilton Road (ahem, you know who I'm talkin' about). Or checking that cars are in safe operating condition (like they do with trucks/busses heading up 80 to Tahoe).

Thanks, had to vent.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by mudpie
Who the f*** needs a lazy cop wasting hours lecturing people about a useless petty thing like a missing front license plate? Did he save any lives? He should be patrolling the road for reckless, crazy, speeding drivers on Mt. Hamilton Road (ahem, you know who I'm talkin' about). Or checking that cars are in safe operating condition (like they do with trucks/busses heading up 80 to Tahoe).

Thanks, had to vent.
Actually, he came by to warn everyone to not be reckless and that they were watching us. The whole license plate thing was a footnote.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
and boy was he watching us.. i should know

all and all that cop i have to say is cool... and is only doing a good job IMO

i love that cop... haha
edgar,
which reminds me to try and find my wallet...
Old 07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by mudpie

Thanks, had to vent.

Hmm, you must not have been there yesterday to post something this ignorant.

The park ranger was VERY cool and polite and was only down there to talk to us because he had almost gotten into a head on collision with someone in a WRX racing up to the observatory and driving on the wrong side of the road. And even after that he wasnt there to harass us, just to tell us to take it easy, so get off your soap box.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
i don't have my front plate on. i hate the way it looks. i only ever put it on while on long road trips. just not to **** anyone off. but i guess i'll be changing my ways

-rich
Old 07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
why change your ways? its just a fix it ticket then u get it written off and you pay like 10 bucks or something. it looks alot better without a front plate, imo, so i will keep it off. just always have it with you, i put it with the back one, there both just bolted up.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by blue blurr
why change your ways? its just a fix it ticket then u get it written off and you pay like 10 bucks or something. it looks alot better without a front plate, imo, so i will keep it off. just always have it with you, i put it with the back one, there both just bolted up.

awha ha ha ha!!!!

dude your so outdated.. that **** goes straight to your insurance company as a moving violation, and might affect your rates..

not to mention some county’s are starting to charge 80 bucks for that fix it ticket and after so many its a point on your record..

every county is different but most all have changed there stance on this issue

edgar,

Last edited by zumnwrx; 07-12-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Reference please? Do you have some facts on this? I would be interested.

-Jacob

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
awha ha ha ha!!!!

dude your so outdated.. that **** goes straight to your insurance company as a traffic violation, and might affect your rates..

not to mention some county’s are starting to charge 80 bucks for that fix it ticket and after so many its a point on your record..

every county is different but all have changed there stance on this issue

edgar,
Old 07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
oh i didnt think fix it tickets went on your record as a tra ffic violation. isnt it only moving violations that can mess you up? or it doesnt matter? and yea ever county is different. where i live they dont charge 80bucks, noor do i think they even car, but w/e maybe i will have to put my plate on. i still dont understand tho, wht about all those cars that dont have a place for front plates? they cant write them tickets. just take them to court i guess.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by blue blurr
i still dont understand tho, wht about all those cars that dont have a place for front plates? they cant write them tickets. just take them to court i guess.
Every car sold in the USA has to be able to mount a front plate. The ones that don't have holes already have some sort of bracket you can buy to hang your front plate on the purdy bumper. Hope I don't get a ticket, my last front plate was used on a Pro7 car as a rookie plate. Haha.. I'm fresh out.

-Jacob

Quick Reply: CHP Zero Tolerance on front license plates???