CHP Crackdown Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I purchased a higher-end TomTom because it had bluetooth speakerphone capability...and I ended up returning it because it was f-ing useless in my car at anything above 30mph. Do you find that you're able to use your Garmin's bluetooth speakerphone effectively at highway speeds?
It worked fine for me, just like putting your phone on speaker -- nothing like having an actual ear piece. The GR is supposed to have less road noise than GD's, so that might be a factor. The garmin was a gift, so it's not like it was bought specifically for that. (Translation: I've been to lazy/cheap to buy an ear piece LOL)

.....sorry for the OT.....
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Car Info: bici putas
Originally Posted by Overbear
believe it or not, there is a huge gay population in Austin, bigger than San Francisco.

lol I guess everything is bigger in Texas
Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Next time do the driving shenanigans completely inside the parking lot. Again I'm not sure, but I think that the reckless driving code won't apply because you're on private property and not on a public road.

As long as its a closed gated community where public cant access it, hes fine.

Any parking lot open to the public (Macy's, Target, Walmart, Gas stations blah blah) are considered Off-Street Parking Facility's and fall subject to all rules of the road.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
"What would you say ya do here?, CHP?"

"So, Officer....tell us about these, 'Referee Tickets' you all are handing out."
Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM

Car Info: .
Funny thing, I was in court today for my SMOG violation and there were more cell phone tickets and red light runner than anything else.

Each of those red light tickets were $400+ a pop and the cell phone violations were $200. Sounds like cheap, easy revenue to me.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
For the question of eating in cars i dont let anyone eat in my car. Though i have leather i still dont want a mess and yes that applies to me too.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Each of those red light tickets were $400+ a pop and the cell phone violations were $200. Sounds like cheap, easy revenue to me.
You know, I hate the idea of more and more laws to govern us and it would be NICE if people could get pulled over for really doing anything stupid whilst in their driver's seat with the vehicle in motion but as a motorcyclist I have been nearly killed SO many times by idiots on the phone as well as nearly hit SO many times on the road that I have to say I am glad people are actually getting busted for this. Not that it helps in reality.

I guess it's just that, I take driving seriously and very rarely see someone else that seems like they are doing the same.

As far as using a phone in the car... I have a convertible and a Justy with no interior so ahhhh not really an option for me unless I wear my moto helmet and use a bluetoof. I did use my "bluetooth sombrero" for a little while though but honestly it's a traditional sombrero and it is a PITA to turn your head to change lanes. I'm sure I looked awesome rolling down the road in a silver Z06 with the edge of a sombrero sticking out the window tho.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
You know, I hate the idea of more and more laws to govern us and it would be NICE if people could get pulled over for really doing anything stupid whilst in their driver's seat with the vehicle in motion but as a motorcyclist I have been nearly killed SO many times by idiots on the phone as well as nearly hit SO many times on the road that I have to say I am glad people are actually getting busted for this. Not that it helps in reality.

I guess it's just that, I take driving seriously and very rarely see someone else that seems like they are doing the same.

As far as using a phone in the car... I have a convertible and a Justy with no interior so ahhhh not really an option for me unless I wear my moto helmet and use a bluetoof. I did use my "bluetooth sombrero" for a little while though but honestly it's a traditional sombrero and it is a PITA to turn your head to change lanes. I'm sure I looked awesome rolling down the road in a silver Z06 with the edge of a sombrero sticking out the window tho.
I agree, simply because its illegal to really show them how you feel when they almost run you off the road.

The bottom line is that getting a license is too easy. Driving is viewed as a right and not a privilege. Until we design a system that truly educates the driver we will have people who think its a big game.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I agree, simply because its illegal to really show them how you feel when they almost run you off the road.

The bottom line is that getting a license is too easy. Driving is viewed as a right and not a privilege. Until we design a system that truly educates the driver we will have people who think its a big game.
Well, on the bike, a 140dB air horn under the headlight aimed to the right seemed to help a bit, and in the car I have the Commuter Communicator AKA hand-held air horn. Wonder what citation that would fall under? It's literally saved my life a couple times in the wee small cars I drive.

Anyway you are 100% correct. I could have passed my driving test whilst asleep while my wife had to pass ice driving, evasive maneuvers, and hand-brake turns (Swedish) and can drive more skillfully than most people I know.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 08-13-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: too much usage of the word "wee"
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I learned how to drive on ice with 100mph gust of wind.. My dad always said if I could drive on ice I could drive on anything. He said that's the way he learned how to drive in finland.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I would love to spend 6 months in Finland being taught how to drive by their teachers.

I am lucky, at 16 my dad sent me to race school in AZ, so I got to spend a week learning how to handle a car at the edge of its capability.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I say make this the official officer spotting thread! Anywho I'm kinda late on it buttt

Around 12:30pm I saw 5 separate cops stopping people. Two cops on 4W, 2 cops 680S (motorcycle cop got the white acura on the fast lane next to me as he went by) I saw him pull out from the right side of the freeway behind me, then around me.

Then I saw 4 cops on a car right before the exit to Automall.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Overbear
I would love to spend 6 months in Finland being taught how to drive by their teachers.
You just don't want to get a speeding ticket in Finland. My dad got popped for 43 in a 35 when we were there for Rally Finland this summer and they gave him a $500 ticket (after asking him what his income was...thankfully, he lied or it would've been a hell of a lot more).

-Brian
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by iLoqin
I say make this the official officer spotting thread!
x2!!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
I'm GLAD they're doing this. I have permanent spine pains from a STUPID 16 year old girl texting while driving 50mph and hitting me while I was at dead stop at a red light.

Thank You for the crackdown cops! Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: CHP Crackdown Today