CHP Crackdown Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
cops should crack themselves down, i see cops on the ****ing phone all the time!
They're on official phone calls, didn't you know thats the universal response to this?

Besides, cops are above the law, fall into place and recognize.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by manhands
I'll tell you, it's some scary **** to have an allergic fit while driving. I've only had to pull over once due to it but it is completely incapacitating. You'll be freaking out over it before any cop will be up your *** about driving while it's happening to you.
If you were sneezing that much you must be on Cocaine, you'd be screwed either way. =D
Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
They're on official phone calls, didn't you know thats the universal response to this?

yeah ive been told that before, they need to use cell phones because they work better or some ish
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
people driving Subaru's (and all other manuals for that matter) shouldn't be using their hands to talk on the phone in the first place

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Car Info: bici putas
I know! how can semaphore work over a phone

we should be using our mouths to talk! lol
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by Overbear
So long as they can prove "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" they can charge you with it, its a very broad brush meant to give the officer latitude in how he uses it.
And so long as one can prove that eating/drinking while driving fulfills the federally protected right to the 'life' part of "life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness", said charges can be successfully defended against...however broad brush strokes you want to use
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Spoolin415

no...

it's because the LAW MAKERS/politicians who thinks up and makes the laws believe cops are super humans...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
cops should crack themselves down, i see cops on the ****ing phone all the time!
cop are exempt from this law.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
I can drive, pick up a quick call and still pay attention without any mishaps or near misses. The people who this cell phone law is for are the ones who have trouble driving in the first places. Like people who are lost, and are on the phone for direction WHILE still trying to change lanes, make turns, etc.

These people need to understand. there is a time and place. Like your doing 60 on the freeway at 3 in the morning with no cars, I'm sure you can pick up a phone and hold a conversation without any issues. Whereas driving and bumper to bumper or stop and go traffic where your attention is needed.

With that said, I support the hands free law, but I didn't see any more police vehicles out than normal. What I did see was those annoying " Hands-free... Its the the law" signs lit. haha
Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 AM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Interesting. I've never heard it described as "reading something while driving is illegal because of the reckless driving law." That seems like a pretty broad application of the law, doesn't it?

Perhaps one of the many law enforcement officers that visit this site can give us some input?
hmm.... reckless is like doing 90 down a side street, swerving back and forth between oncoming and regular lanes, blowing a stoplight, then hiding behind an enterprise rent a car..... yeah thats reckless.

reading..... not so much
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 AM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by 455h013
cop are exempt from this law.
that is correct, but were told to use it only during official business (IE: setting up an operation that we dont want aired over regular radio, and were en route.)

Personally if i use my cell during work and im talking to a family member or such, i pull over. It just looks bad to the public when we enforce the cell phone laws yet we talk on the phone ourselves (even though were exempt.) Its the perception of the thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
So long as they can prove "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" they can charge you with it, its a very broad brush meant to give the officer latitude in how he uses it.
Hmm... if I follow your logic using the example of reading while driving being illegal because of that law, that means that you could claim that doing anything while driving is illegal, if the officer decides that description fits.

Which, interestingly enough, should have already covered talking and texting on a mobile phone while driving.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by flatline
hmm.... reckless is like doing 90 down a side street, swerving back and forth between oncoming and regular lanes, blowing a stoplight, then hiding behind an enterprise rent a car..... yeah thats reckless.

reading..... not so much
Thanks man, I sort of figured his interpretation was ... unusual, but I figured I'd wait for an expert to chime in before jumping to any conclusions.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Hmm... if I follow your logic using the example of reading while driving being illegal because of that law, that means that you could claim that doing anything while driving is illegal, if the officer decides that description fits.

Which, interestingly enough, should have already covered talking and texting on a mobile phone while driving.
Thats part of my problem with the "text/phone" law, it really was already covered by other laws...

but we all know how this state loves to push laws no mater how ignorant or stupid they are. I so ****ing HATE this state.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by flatline
that is correct, but were told to use it only during official business (IE: setting up an operation that we dont want aired over regular radio, and were en route.)

Personally if i use my cell during work and im talking to a family member or such, i pull over. It just looks bad to the public when we enforce the cell phone laws yet we talk on the phone ourselves (even though were exempt.) Its the perception of the thing.
I did a hand brake turn in an empty parking lot and a union city cop saw me... Gave me the BIGGEST ear full (which I gladly accepted because I was totally at fault), but then he threatened to take me to jail for reckless driving... And I swear to you that I was going no more then 10mph and turned into a parking spot to a stop.

The lecture was fine, but reckless driving? Really?

Quick Reply: CHP Crackdown Today